lucky new tl2 owner; new tl3?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys, I posted couple days ago and I want to thank everyone who helped me on my last post.

There was a new Leica flagship store open yesterday here in Seoul Korea, and I was lucky enough to purchase a brand new open box tl2 which was on display for 20% off.  The workers told me it was untouched by anyone and it was literally a display only (non touch) model which they had to give out a discount just because it was open for 1 day.

I asked about a new refresh of the tl3 and not sure if accurate, but the worker told me there maybe a slight chance the tl2 will see an upgrade tl3 by 2020.  

Anyways after testing out 2 different prime lenses, the 35mm and the 23, I decided to go with the 23.  The 35mm was very tempting but I found it to be a tad bit heavy and would be difficult to carry around.

I was also persuaded into buying a "filter UVa 2" and they told me its to protect the lens, can I get any information on the accuracy of this?

I will give this bad boy a test and let you guys know what I think.  Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by andrewjoo7

UV and CP filters to "protect" a lens front element have been the subject of endless debate on every photographic forum and camera club for all the fifty plus years I've been doing photography. Whether it actually saves the front element, or causes more problems than it solves, or whatever have all be argued and debated to death.

I've given up on the debate. I use filters to do a particular task when I use them. I have UV and CP filters aplenty and use them when I think it's appropriate to the situation and aligned with my thoughts on what they're useful for. Ordinarily, I stick a lens hood on the lens and don't worry about a filter. I've never had a lens damaged in such a way that any filter would actually protect it from damage. :D

Regardless, enjoy your TL2 and don't worry about a new model! Just make photos and enjoy it! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ramarren said:

UV and CP filters to "protect" a lens front element have been the subject of endless debate on every photographic forum and camera club for all the fifty plus years I've been doing photography. Whether it actually saves the front element, or causes more problems than it solves, or whatever have all be argued and debated to death.

I've given up on the debate. I use filters to do a particular task when I use them. I have UV and CP filters aplenty and use them when I think it's appropriate to the situation and aligned with my thoughts on what they're useful for. Ordinarily, I stick a lens hood on the lens and don't worry about a filter. I've never had a lens damaged in such a way that any filter would actually protect it from damage. :D

Regardless, enjoy your TL2 and don't worry about a new model! Just make photos and enjoy it! 

Thanks! Didnt realize photography is as easy as aim and shoot from an iphone lol

I prefer to use lens shades to more effectively protect the lens.

If I am using the 18mm pancake lens and wanting to put it in my pocket I skip the lens hood and do have a UV filter on to take the place of a lens cap. I do not use lens caps on any of my three TL lenses.  I learned this from the owner of LeicaMiami.

Before I learned the shade approach, I once advised a friend on a camera purchase to buy a filter for “protection”. He did and the first time he aimed the camera at his kid, the four year old threw a toy at the camera and broke the filter but not the lens. My friend appreciated the “protection” advice, but in truth a lens shade would have sufficed in blocking the flying toy.

I once damaged the front element of a lens by putting it down on a piece of rough rock; the front element was not quite deep enough to be protected, and got a tiny chip - I never repaired it, and it caused no visible problems, but it was intensely annoying.

But I'm another one who would rather have a hood than a filter - which is likely to get scratched when a deep set front element never would.

And yes, I've had small children stick snotty noses, sticky fingers and eyes onto my lenses - nothing that can't be cleaned off. I'd rather they touched the front element than broke a piece of glass with their fingers!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

front element is also a piece of glass

Flat filter is easier to clean than a convex or concave lens 

If cleaned too frequently front element coating can be damage. 

Most expensive filter is still way cheaper than cheaper front element repair. 

A damage filter can be unscrewed, then replace with a new one. 

A damage front element, has to ship whole lens or camera for a long and expensive trip to service center.

So choose you poison, it is up to you.

Edited by nicci78

Agree with Nicci. I would like to add that an UV filter is not first choice nowadays. The major filter makers offer protective filters, thin, tough glass for strength and fewer aberrations and nano-coating for easy and less cleaning. 

Some people on here repeat the mantra 'modern lens coatings are tough and don't get scratched' and tell us that filters are pointless. 

Then you see this 

Personally I have generally used protective filters, especially on newly bought lenses. If I'm in a situation where the filter is causing reflections, or I want to use another type of filter, I just remove it first. 

Each to their own. 

On 7/20/2019 at 1:16 PM, andrewjoo7 said:

Hey guys, I posted couple days ago and I want to thank everyone who helped me on my last post.

I asked about a new refresh of the tl3 and not sure if accurate, but the worker told me there maybe a slight chance the tl2 will see an upgrade tl3 by 2020.  

buying a TL2 and enquiring about a TL3 on the same day is a bit like telling your wife on your wedding day that your search for your next wife has already begun :D

enjoy your TL2 ;)

Edited by colonel

6 hours ago, colonel said:

buying a TL2 and enquiring about a TL3 on the same day is a bit like telling your wife on your wedding day that your search for your next wife has already begun :D

enjoy your TL2 ;)

this is what technology does to you lol

Edited by andrewjoo7