Apo-summicron-sl 50?

SiggiGun

On 8/7/2019 at 1:05 AM, AZN said:

Agree.

The APO-35 was announced at the beginning of March 2019 and here we are in the first week of August 2019 and BH Photovideo still doesn't have it in stock:

A new lens isn't "real" until it has a price.  That's what happened in March 2019 with the SL 35.  At that point, in the US, a few were delivered to each of the Leica stores, and apparently also to B&H.  A few weeks later, other stores received their first copies.  Mine was the third received by my retailer, and it went out to me in May.  There were plenty of customers in line behind me at that point.  It doesn't appear as "in stock" at a retailer until the waiting list is filled, so if Leica delivers lenses at a rate that is about equal to the rate at which customers sign up for them, this can take a long time.  B&H and LeicaStoreMiami seem to have long waiting lists, but they are not the only places where you can get new lenses...

Still waiting on the 35mm - 6 months is a joke. Announcing the 50mm while the 35mm is still backlogged is ludicrous. Especially, considering that the 50mm summilux is widely available. If Leica wants to see the SL system penetrate the pro market, then they need to address their production issues. 

I am probably going to cancel my order and go with the Sigma, which is a lot better than the Leica vaporware 35mm...

Prismstorm,  Like all Leica lenses each renders slightly different for various reasons.  The 50mm f/1.4 SL is IMO a classic for what it is designed and able to draw.  I will keep that lens and have the 50mm SL-Cron on order at Leica Store San Francisco.  I have been fortunate to receive the second copy of each new SL lens from SFO that is also the #2 Leica store for sales and availability in the USA.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

34 minutes ago, jrp said:

And 740g

And thus similar to the SL 35, 75 and 90 Crons (700-720 g). Quite agreable weight and balance on SL/S1(R), for my hands & use.

With 1065 g and a longer/thicker body, SL 50 Lux belongs to another class, and is on the large and heavy side for me. But beautiful rendering of that lens... 

Edited by helged

13 minutes ago, helged said:

And thus similar to the SL 35, 75 and 90 Crons (700-720 g). Quite agreable weight and balance on SL/S1(R), for my hands & use.

With 1065 g and a longer/thicker body, SL 50 Lux belongs to another class, and is on the large and heavy side for me. But beautiful rendering of that lens... 

I totally agree, the 50 SL Lux is one of two lenses that I keep saying I need to sell as they are too big and heavy (the other being the 90-280) BUT every time I look at the results I change my mind.

great portrait lens .. I am on the fence tbh, I am on the list for the 50 APO but currently minded to keep the Lux. There are only so many "perfect" lenses that you can have .. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:05 AM, dkmoore said:

2. Sony alpha was painstakingly slow at releasing (MEDIOCRE) lenses and they are dominating the space for market share in mirrorless today. They now have much better lenses but I am talking about the first 5 years.

Just one technical correction, whilst what you say was, and in some ways is, still true on the APS-C system, it was never true on the FE / FF A7 series. Whilst the 24-70mm f4 causes some debate and the 28-70mm is made as a centre sharp only kit lens, pretty much every other Sony FF lens is outstanding. Many of them, particularly the 1.4s generally and the G Master series, the tough amatuer pohotographer magazine (UK) giving the higest scores.

I am not advocating for a non-Leica system, personally it seems I am switching from the A7 to the SL series, for mostly pure enjoyment reasons ......

Edited by colonel

36 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Haha - and there was me assuming that nobody would notice until I pushed up the link!

I was just told that I could post it today - so there it was!

to be clear - I went there to read some older reviews (i.e. Q2) to pass the time, not to see if I could find already for the 50 APO at 4 am! :)

• Like 1