Apo-summicron-sl 50?

SiggiGun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well that's the next L lens I've been waiting for.  I have no interest in the 50 Summilux-SL.
Then I'd happy with the 24-90 and the 2.0/50SL, and my various M lenses as required.

However, I'm now inclined to get the Sigma 40 as soon as it's released.

Leica has lost serious momentum with the SL due to an inability to deliver lenses in a timely fashion. They simply cannot compete in this space, and I fear for the future of a company that can only rely upon a rangefinder for their success.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jplomley said:

Leica has lost serious momentum with the SL due to an inability to deliver lenses in a timely fashion. They simply cannot compete in this space, and I fear for the future of a company that can only rely upon a rangefinder for their success.

While I grant you that Leica has been slow at getting native SL lenses released, that is the end of accuracy within your statement. 

1. you can mount 100 different Leica lenses to the SL (R, M, L) and they work very well.

2. Sony alpha was painstakingly slow at releasing (MEDIOCRE) lenses and they are dominating the space for market share in mirrorless today. They now have much better lenses but I am talking about the first 5 years.

3. Leica has record profit (most likely wouldn't be the case if the SL was failing). I also rarely see used SL cameras compared to M and T cameras.

4. Leica has relied on the rangefinder for 100 years.....credibility loss after your last sentence

5. you have 16-35, 90-280, 24-90, 50 1.4, 90, 75, and 35. All top quality. I'm sure they could have pumped out 10 mediocre lenses like Nikon will do in the first 2-3 years.

We all have cranky days and suspect today may be one of those for you. Hang on tight, the L MOUNT ALLIANCE IS ON THE WAY. He He He. :  ) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Well said, dkmoore.  I don't know what marketing studies Leica had when they launched the SL, but because the camera and the 24-90 were launched simultaneously, they sated an initial audience's desires. Yes, we all wanted the two other zooms to come quickly, and then the primes, but the 24-90, coupled with the ability to use M and R lenses, took the pressure off. We can all be frustrated with the pace of the primes getting out there, but for a small company with multiple systems, I cut them slack on lenses. Now, as for getting an SL2 out there, c'mon, Leica...

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 4:35 AM, dkmoore said:

While I grant you that Leica has been slow at getting native SL lenses released, that is the end of accuracy within your statement. 

1. you can mount 100 different Leica lenses to the SL (R, M, L) and they work very well.

2. Sony alpha was painstakingly slow at releasing (MEDIOCRE) lenses and they are dominating the space for market share in mirrorless today. They now have much better lenses but I am talking about the first 5 years.

3. Leica has record profit (most likely wouldn't be the case if the SL was failing). I also rarely see used SL cameras compared to M and T cameras.

4. Leica has relied on the rangefinder for 100 years.....credibility loss after your last sentence

5. you have 16-35, 90-280, 24-90, 50 1.4, 90, 75, and 35. All top quality. I'm sure they could have pumped out 10 mediocre lenses like Nikon will do in the first 2-3 years.

We all have cranky days and suspect today may be one of those for you. Hang on tight, the L MOUNT ALLIANCE IS ON THE WAY. He He He. :  ) 

Not sure why you feel there are not many used SLs in the market. I had a really hard time selling my mint SL 2 months ago and had to drop the price before it moved. I think by and large many users (me included) found it too heavy to use.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sunil said:

Not sure why you feel there are not many used SLs in the market. I had a really hard time selling my mint SL 2 months ago and had to drop the price before it moved. I think by and large many users (me included) found it too heavy to use.

Ugh..your comment is irrelevant without a ton more information. Maybe your SL wasn't really mint? Maybe you have no sales record or a bad record? Maybe you didn't post enough detail? Maybe you priced it too high? Who knows.

And what in the world does the weight of the SL have to do with the 50APO or how many used SLs are on the market?

No response needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Leica Rumours just posted saying the lens will be "released" on 15 Aug 2019.

https://leicarumors.com/2019/08/05/the-leica-apo-summicron-sl-50mm-f-2-asph-lens-will-be-officially-released-on-august-15th.aspx/

Thanks for that - needed a good laugh 😃

(I see "Helged" beat me to it…)

Edited by AZN
  • Haha 1

Well, one of my suppliers just got a 35, which I was lucky enough to get elsewhere , but which I was on the waiting list for, for months, there. I guess that i’ll just have to change my order to 50mm Summicron, and see what happens. 

10 hours ago, rfunnell said:

Still waiting on my Leica SL 35 so it's anyones guess.

Agree.

The APO-35 was announced at the beginning of March 2019 and here we are in the first week of August 2019 and BH Photovideo still doesn't have it in stock:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1464082-REG/leica_11184_apo_summicron_sl_35mm_f_2_asph.html

The prognosis for the APO-50 looks equally bleak.