35 vs 28 + 50

RagingCANE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/26/2019 at 1:02 AM, RagingCANE said:

Hi resolution digital sensors will require higher resolving power. I know they all work and I’m sure they will be “sufficient” but when I’m spending several thousand on a lens I want it to be amazing and I plan on keeping it for a long time. Leica has to update the lenses if they are getting into the megapixel war and it seems like they are with the release of the 47mp sensors they are starting to put in their cameras. The APO 50 1.4 is the first designed for digital sensors I believe. Of course it is backwards compatible. I’m not worried about how they work on my 24mp M10 but when I am forced to buy a 47mp M11 if I want the next version I want to make sure I have the right lenses. For my Sony or Canon gear I don’t care because they are cheap in comparison.

You might find this interesting.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Mv7ysmaKY

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 7:11 AM, RagingCANE said:

My original plan was 21, 35, 50 and maybe 75 

If you need something wider, I would now consider the 21mm lens to complement the 35mm. The super wide is wonderful for immersive landscape and architecture photographs, also easily cropped to 24mm with modern camera sensors. I use a combined 21/25mm external viewfinder from Voigtlander which shows both. Normally the inner frame acts like grid lines helping with level horizons for the 21mm, but also enables visualising a crop to the narrower focal length.

Edited by Nick_S
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2019 at 6:38 AM, RagingCANE said:

Now looking at the 28 1.4 Summilux but at $7,500 it isn’t making sense to me. Uggh. It it that much better than the f2.0 Summicron? Do I just buy a Q-p for travel (Not the answer I know but...)? 

I own the Summicron 28, but don't shoot it much. My go to lens is the Summilux 35. That said, the cron 28 is an excellent lens, sharp and contrasty.

How about instead of buying the Summixlux 28, you buy the Summicron 28 and spend the savings on a fantastic vacation to take photos with you new lens?

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick_S said:

If you need something wider, I would now consider the 21mm lens to complement the 35mm. The super wide is wonderful for immersive landscape and architecture photographs, also easily cropped to 24mm with modern camera sensors. I use a combined 21/25mm external viewfinder from Voigtlander which shows both. Normally the inner frame acts like grid lines helping with level horizons for the 21mm, but also enables visualising a crop to the narrower focal length.

Yes, this is my plan!