Best photo print software

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just an update.

I have been working with Epson on this for a couple of weeks and they have confirmed that all my settings are correct so they have now escalated the problem to level 2.  I'll watch this space and feed back later. 

• Thanks 1

I use Printao which is idiot proof and to date has always produced results that closely match the screen output.

It is fairly limited in the printers it supports though ..... but for the commonest larger format photo printers it is fairly priced. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/21/2019 at 1:05 PM, Jeff S said:

This speaks to some of the reasons I like ImagePrint, e.g., up to date profiles as well as no need to adjust printer settings (the IP driver sets everything optimally once paper/profile is entered). As important, it runs outside the Epson/Apple chain, whereby changes can be introduced without notice.  I remember years ago when Apple screwed up color management settings (wouldn’t turn off despite contrary indications). IP bypasses all that mess and eliminates hunting for errors, by user and/or company.  For me it’s worth the significant expense.

Likewise, one shouldn’t skimp on printer hardware, inks, papers, software, etc if consistent print quality is valued.  I get far more bang for the buck on the back end of the shooting and print workflow than on front end gear.

Jeff

ImagePrint makes high quality printing ridiculously easy. One of its strengths is that it allows for soft-proofing both of color and B&W. Is IP expensive?  Yes. Is it too expensive?  That is for each individual to decide. I just know that I am very happy to have it. 

On 7/19/2019 at 10:06 PM, Jeff S said:

I have never made a final (framed for display) print without first making work prints, film or digital.  And even then, one must account for ‘dimming’ effects of the chosen cover glass in relation to display lighting.  It has never been simple, and practice/experience is key... as with all other aspects of photography.

Jeff

I agree.  A test print is always needed...and very careful assessment.. dodging, burning, colour assessment...you might even find a sensor blob which needs cloning (too late if you've printed a huge expensive print).

It is a bit easier now. In my darkroom days a good final print might take a few hours to create...and expensive.

I use paper and inks which suit my printer Epson 3000...now never any aftermarket stuff.

I print with LightRoom...can't stand it really but got used to it.  The Epson printing software is very less than average.

So print a proof knowing it to be so...and do a critical assessment.