Regarding the UV/IR filter

Me Leica!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a chance to get an M8.2 for a ridiculously low price (it's been cosmetically modified, and in Japan that actually devalues it, which is good for potential buyers). I've checked it out and it seems to work fine; the RF seems to be OK, no weird stains on the screen, and so on. The shop also has a very nice example of a Voigtlander 50mm 1.2 lens, and together with the camera it's well within my definition of "non-reckless affordable".

I've been looking around for a good UV/IR filter, and I've come across several variants. One of them is called a "Hot Mirror filter". It's still advertised as "UV / IR cut".

Is there something different about these, or is it just a name? I don't mind paying a bit for a decent UV/IR. If anyone has any particular recommendations (or suggestions to avoid), I'd gladly hear them.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Hot mirror means the same as IR-cut or UV/IR cut when the filter blocks some UV as well. It is a filter blocking infrared light mainly, which is what your M8.2 needs given that its own IR-cut filter is not efficient enough. Well known issue of M8 and M8.2 cameras which in turn have a very thin sensor stack (0.5mm) providing an acutance that very few cameras can compete with. 
Tiffen, Schneider ("B+W"), Hoya, Heliopan, Rocolax and other brands sell those filters but i prefer Leica's personally because they have an internal filter thread allowing to stack another filter or a screw-in hood into them if needed. 
BTW you may wish to register your camera on the Leica site before ordering the filter in which case, with a bit (lot) of luck, Leica could send you one filter for free even if your camera is second hand. Déjà vu on the LUF.

Edited by lct
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/18/2019 at 12:25 AM, Me Leica! said:

The shop also has a very nice example of a Voigtlander 50mm 1.2 lens

Don't forget that your lens will effectively be a 67 mm lens on the M8.2 thanks to the 1.3 crop factor of the APS-h sensor.

Pete.

2 hours ago, farnz said:

Don't forget that your lens will effectively be a 67 mm lens on the M8.2 thanks to the 1.3 crop factor of the APS-h sensor.

Pete.

Yes, actually that's a plus for me as I tend to generally see in short telephoto terms. 67 is also in portrait territory. But thanks for the reminder anyway.

Thanks for all the responses. I haven't bitten the bullet yet; classic heart (I love the RF experience, but don't shoot film, and this particular M8.2 is actually going for less than the Epson RD-1 second hand here) vs head (If an important part breaks, you are buggered) battle in progress.

Mind you, there's a Leica store / boutique / poser's emporium 😉 where I live, so I'm pretty sure they could handle things like RF calibration if and when that goes off - assuming they service cameras that weren't purchased directly from them...

If the price is in your budget, go for it and you may find UV/IR filter later.

While waiting, experience the infamous B&W from M8 without UV/IR filter.

If you like it you even may not need/want UV/IR filter.

this is without UV/IR filter (I accept the "weird colors" in artificial lighting)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M8 at 640 ISO, 35mm Summicron III

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

[...] if you like it you even may not need/want UV/IR filter.
this is without UV/IR filter (I accept the "weird colors" in artificial lighting)

Matter of tastes ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jankap said:

What is it after photoshopping? 

For me NOT possible to post-processing,

so use one real UV/IR filter when in mood with plenty of IR like landscape or inside.

This is example for which I must put UV/IR filter on the Noctilux v I (at that time it must be Series VIII for 1.2/50 I tested in the shop)

• 1 month later...

As a counterpoint I don’t use UV/IR filters. The rendering without them is amazing and much more like film.  The UV/IR filter is just another way of making the M8 more like other cameras; something I don’t want. 

The Magenta tint affects a small percent of photos and can easily be fixed on capture one; but these days I don’t even bother correcting it. 

I prefer the original M8 way of rendering.