Leica Lens MP Resolution?

ChicagoMatthew

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The new Sony A7r4 was just announced and it’s touting 61 mp. As my GAS gets going I’m wondering what the MP limit is on modern Leica lenses... anyone have an idea how these would perform?

50mm Summilux 1.4 ASPH APO(ish)

35mm Summilux FLE

I have some wides as well, but I read they don’t work well on the Sony.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChicagoMatthew said:

FYI the Summilux has very visible field curvature when mounted on a Sony. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on what you're shooting.

I'm not sure about the 35mm Lux but I think it has the same issue. 

Other M mount lenses, both 35 and 50mm, work much better, for example the Zeiss 35 1.4 or the Leica 50 Summicron

However, given the smearing away from the center because of the thick Sony filter stack on the sensor, I believe this will be an academic question on anything but long lenses.  The smearing is visible even on a 24mp camera with most M lenses under 50mm.

18 hours ago, ChicagoMatthew said:

The new Sony A7r4 was just announced and it’s touting 61 mp. As my GAS gets going I’m wondering what the MP limit is on modern Leica lenses... anyone have an idea how these would perform?

35mm Summilux FLE

I'm not quite understand the question... unless the sensor pixel count is greater than how many light particles(or wave "quantum physics") landing on 36mm x 24mm surface, which is like trillion billion of a trillion dots tight?  I think even the smallest iphone lens will let trillion and trillion of dots thru. 

2 hours ago, stephengv said:

Interesting question. Anyone tried the M lenses on a 60mpx or even a 45mpx?

I use Leica lenses on Nikon Z7 and I'd say fantastic.  There are samples pictures on related topics just search the keyword "nikon z"

Edited by jaeger
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jaeger said:

I'm not quite understand the question... unless the sensor pixel count is greater than how many light particles(or wave "quantum physics") landing on 36mm x 24mm surface, which is like trillion billion of a trillion dots tight?  I think even the smallest iphone lens will let trillion and trillion of dots thru. 

I use Leica lenses on Nikon Z7 and I'd say fantastic.  There are samples pictures on related topics just search the keyword "nikon z"

What leica lenses did you use?

18 hours ago, ChicagoMatthew said:

35mm Summilux FLE

An MP limit on lenses is a non-existing concept in the real world outside our weird Internet universe.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, stephengv said:

What leica lenses did you use?

I listed them in my user profile

6 minutes ago, stephengv said:

What do you mean?

he was right, this concept is not exist.  Lenses can pass thought more light particles than any sensor can handle in the coming hundred years.

• Thanks 1

However, in theory it  is possible to convert LP/mm to MP, not that it makes any sense.

Anyway, many Leica and Zeiss lenses resolve up to 300/ LP/mm or more in the centre @ 50% contrast (other lens makers do not much worse either), making the question meaningless. For 300 LP/mm the smallest pixel size that can resolve fully is 0.8µ on a Bayer sensor.

I might add that Zeiss has the standard that for photographic use a resolution over 80 LP/mm  throughout the imaging chain is meaningless.

• Like 1

Modern lenses can resolve more details than earlier ones of course. According to A. Kaufmanm, SL lenses could probably go up to 60 or 80 MP. Only question is do we need that many details. I certainly don't but YMMV.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1