Silver anodized and Black anodized

First, the subjective. Love silver on silver body. Looks really classic (and classy).

On the objective, I have had black built in lens hood mark easily but no such issues with silver. As always, I expect others have had opposite experience. 

I always preferred black, for cameras and lenses, my beauties, a M4-P from 1982 and two M6, 1986 and 1990 still look great, of course, I took care of them! But, if people prefer chrome, why not? About durability, mechanical impact etc., I guess, chrome is more tolerant, scratch resistant. Interestingly, people with black cameras like to show the wear and tear of their equipment, quite in contrast to the silver guys?

I like both

Personally I prefer black for the CL, but it depends on style. For the M-P I prefer silver

What I don't like is that the finish on the black top is not particularly good. Its easy to get nicks which expose the silver metal underneath, especially on the rim.

I was wondering whether the silver was more hardy - or less likely to show scratchs/small knocks. Would be interested to know from any owner

Edited by colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Colonel,  I had black M cameras for a decade plus.  Black paint on brass would at least let the brass finish show through and looked IMO, classy and nice.  When Leica went to its new black chrome finish, I found when the camera body was rubbed over time it tarnishes to a dull gray.  So, I did some research and my Leica dealer recommended I try a silver chrome M10 body.  I did and remain with silver chrome M bodies ever since.  The silver chrome body is far more durable, less prone to nicks and scratches and I find people think the camera is a retro film camera.  People also said they feel less threatened and more relaxed when I use the silver chrome M camera.  Result, I am able to get better candid photographs.  Your results may be different.  r/ Mark  

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AndreasG said:

Black paint, and black chrome on zinc and on brass behave completely different

And there are different black paints on brass, one having a deep luster with bright shine and another which is more dull.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

In all my 60'ish years in AP the ONLY lens to show any wear is my black Leica 18-56mm, around the hood retaining lugs, I've only had it a matter of a few months.

Perhaps because the majority of lenses I've had have been plastic, especially the more modern ones.

Edited by Dave in Wales

Silver Anodized should not be confused with Silver Chrome. The Chrome has a thick plate over the base material, while the Silver Anodize is only a very thin layer over the Alumina. Either is not Silver layer. It has nothing to do with Silver. 

Chrome is definitely more wearing tolerance. Silver Anodized, if with the same thickness as the Black Anodized, should be equally (or almost) wearable, but might be less visible if the color is similar to the underneath Alumina.