fenykepesz

setting *exact* time on a M10-D ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

how can i set the *exact* time on a M10-D, i mean with a one-second accuracy ?  i didn't try yet to do so with Leica's new fotos app because my stone-age phone can't run this software.  if i do it manually i am off by a good 30 seconds or more, but i am not sure why.  it's quite erratic actually, the offset being different each time.  i tried various tricks to account for that >12sec press necessary for this exercise, but without prevail.

any suggestions ?

Posted (edited)

Exact according to what reference? An NTP server? No can do. I find it adequate to set to the minute. That is not likely to satisfy some accustomed to NTP.

Edited by pico

my reference is let's say a mobile phone, or NTP server as per computer screen.  there is a lag, an uncertainty in time, when i press that petite function button which should synchronize the camera with the time i see on the screen of a phone or computer or whatever.  i use the begin of a minute as reference as seconds are not an option with that thumbwheel/function button approach.  i tried to account for those >12sec forward, then backward but the results didn't look too logical...

how to test as control i make a photo of a clock on my computer screen and compare the time there with the time stamp in the DNG EXIF header - which is in fact quite off  !

As you ruled out fotos, I can just say that if I had such

tight requirement and felt limited by the input method on the camera,

as long as I know how far I am off, it is easy to correct while importing,

looping on the files.

The wifi enabled camera querying the network connected mobile device

would be the sensible answer though…

in this case i have to resort to my son's iPhone, that's a more modern device than my stone-age Nokia n900...

the reason why i like to have this timing issue sorted out is that many of us make pictures with more than one camera - and that's a scenario which requires that photos imported into a database share approximately the same time and the same time zone...

If you like to geotag your images – as I always do –, accuracy of the clock is strictly required. Regarding time accuracy the Leica M10 doesn‘t show any improvements compared to M9. My mechanical wristwatch does a better job.

The M10 (D) allows to set the time via satellite when you use the Visoflex 020. To obtain a continous accuracy I recommend to use it once per day.

Tom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You need direct connection to NBS radio clock in Colorado.  I have two desk models.  set for current second or minute.  Just before the current minute is up,  set or advance camera to next minute or sec.   If any lag is present, just note the next time minute cycles if it is ahead or late and compensate.  If restart timing has variable delays,  you are screwed.

My desk NBS clocks have seconds displayed.  Use them to help.  My computer clock advances at 59 or 00 seconds, so that is correct really close. Hard to see two clocks at one time unless one is audible.    Some radio stations in Chicago have a tone signal on the hour. 

Why a camera clock needs to be that accurate is beyond me.

13 minutes ago, happymac said:

IThe M10 (D) allows to set the time via satellite when you use the Visoflex 020. To obtain a continous accuracy I recommend to use it once per day.

Yes, and so does the regular M10, but getting GPS to work is an issue.

i am happy with an accuracy of ± a second or so - but an offset of 30-45 sec is too much if one works with more than one device.  the 'restart timing' phase is variable, that's the problem. 

as said, i will look for a more modern phone so i can make use of the FOTOS app.

It's obvious -- A New Meaning  -- Time is of The Essence - Unless you can have the same Time supply to All devices, it will always be hit N miss..

On 7/17/2019 at 1:53 PM, fenykepesz said:

i will look for a more modern phone so i can make use of the FOTOS app.

How did we cope before GPS?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, pico said:

Got Lost Became Late, still got drunk - We knew how to map read & use a compass.. 🕺

Edited by lykaman

51 minutes ago, pico said:

Land Nav. 

You must have forgot.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Land Nav. 

You must have forgot.

You mean - Head towards the Spire -  (on a side note, at one time you could navigate through London by the Pubs, an old guy who was once a London taxi driver told me he walked/learned the Knowledge)..

Edited by lykaman

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lykaman said:

You mean - Head towards the Spire -  (on a side note, at one time you could navigate through London by the Pubs, an old guy who was once a London taxi driver told me he walked/learned the Knowledge)..

No. I mean navigating through the jungle with someone not far behind trying to shoot holes in you or stick a bayonet in your okole.

Edited by jdlaing

4 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

No. I mean navigating through the jungle with someone not far behind trying to shoot holes in you or stick a bayonet in your okole.

Are you referring to Orde Wingate and his Chindits?