How many exposures???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there a chart somewhere that lists the average number of exposures you could expect on different size SD cards?  I have looked over the internet, and can't find it if there is.  Canon/Nikon and others used to print a chart with this information in their manuals, if Leica does, I can't find it.  I know, the larger the card, the larger potential disaster if it fails, but it would be nice to know.  I've read posts from users that use nothing but 16's, some only 32's etc.  Certainly not life altering news, but it would be nice to have capacity numbers.      Thank's in advance!

Your Camera Info should tell you the appx number of frames available on your SD card.. As you can appreciate, there are various factors that can change the available space on an SD card.. (I usually run with 16's sometimes a 32 if I feel adventurous) Certain cameras cannot use large or super fast Cards..  L

Brands and type over size if you ask me. I always use the more expensive versions (pro/extreme/etc) of Sandisk and Lexar and have never had any issues with faulty SD-cards (or CF-cards). Also, don't put all your eggs in one basket. I generally use multiple 16GB SD-card and rotate those.

I've been using those brands/types ~15 years. Even the old ones (sub-128MB) from back-in-the-day still work properly.

The cheaper brands/versions -> don't get me started....

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  I was looking for a more predictive number.  I need to be replacing older,slower cards, and was trying to decide what to buy.  There are crazy good prices on 32 and 64 cards right now, and they seem to be about the best fit.  Thanks again.

"Even the old ones (sub-128MB) from back-in-the-day still work properly."

I remember those well, also how happy we were when they came out with recovery software, to combat the failures.  And those prices!  A gig was pure dreaming, but then, A.P. was using 3mp images that looked like trash before noise reduction.  Thanks for the memories.

Divide the size of the card by the maximum resolution (DNG) size for an adequate estimate. To be more pessimistic add the size of the largest JPEG likely to be saved. There are simple tables in the instructions showing the sizes of each.

When taking a picture the LCD will show the estimated remaining exposures for a card. It is the number in the lower right-hand corner. Note that the camera gives a prediction based upon your settings including your history of digital cropping and it does not always change with every picture.  Close enough.

Edited by pico