M10-P w/ 35mm summicron - Long Exposures

Philip Shucet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the past three evenings I've used the 35mm summicron on the M10-P to experiment with long exposures.  Regardless of the aperture I select, the aperture shows as f4 when I pull the photographs into Capture One.  ISO is correct as is exposure time, and the effect of stopping down is evident. But the aperture records as f4. I appreciate any thoughts or hearing from others regarding their experiences.

Philip

Hi, I'm not sure what computer you use, but on a Mac you can import your files to a folder on your Desktop, then you can go to an individual file, right click and select Get Info.. If you can get your EXIF info before you PP it would help with the diagnosis.. does the camera display the EXIF info on the Replay?

In my experience the aperture info in EXIF is spotty, not precise.

I understand that this info is an estimate based on computations made by camera comparing the readings from lens through sensor and from the light sensor on body.

1 minute ago, ckuwajima said:

In my experience the aperture info in EXIF is spotty, not precise.

I understand that this info is an estimate based on computations made by camera comparing the readings from lens through sensor and from the light sensor on body.

I agree, my suggestion was to ascertain what the camera actually said as opposed to the PP info... L

There is no electrical contact between the lens and the camera to tell the camera what aperture is used, therefore the camera takes an educated guess at which aperture you used using the details of which lens was used (either via the 6 bit coding or manually inputed lens details) the ISO selected & the shutter speed.

Its not an accurate system by any means and is just intended as a guide.

Best practice would be to carry either a small note book & pen or use your phone to note the aperture used.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/17/2019 at 6:58 AM, magixaxeman said:

the camera takes an educated guess at which aperture you used using the details of which lens was used (either via the 6 bit coding or manually inputed lens details) the ISO selected & the shutter speed.

...and the ambient light as measured by the little blue sensor on the camera front (already mentioned). Which is the most important part of the equation.

ISO and shutter speed are insufficient for determining aperture unless the camera can sense how bright the scene was originally.

I would guess that if it's dark enough the sensitivity of the little blue sensor is not sufficient to get a proper reading to compare with the reading of the exposure meter. Or then the sensitivity of the exposure meter itself is not sufficient, i.e. you get the flashing left hand side arrow indication in the viewfinder, resulting in a value that cannot be compared with. The firmware then uses some value as default, apparently f4. Just a guess...

Edited by mujk