Burtiess

Min. Shutter Speed, but not always?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, the Q2 is my first Leica (sorry 😉 ). Besides the weird Implementation of the much discussed BackButtonFocus I've noticed another strange one, but not sure if it's just me. In all my other cams you simply have a more/less plain, isolated setting: Minimum Shutter-speed. It just takes care the shutter-speed, in whatever (semi-)auto setting you force the camera in, does not go below a defined value, for obvious reasons, most important one: the user does not want it to go below that value, knowing what she/he is doing or anticipating on situations he/she expects.

However, with the Q2 you CAN set the min value in the sub-menu AUTO ISO settings (which already is a bit strange) but what happens is that when you set the MIN SHUTTERSPEED, it ONLY works when ISO is set to AUTO. As soon as you decide to kick the ISO setting from AUTO to a specific value(simply because you want to for that shot/series and since I set the thumbweel to that function, its very easy to do so), you loose the min. shutter setting. Is that normal practice at LEICA?  The other AUTO-ISO setting: MAX ISO is on the other hand maintained whatever you do (shutter/aperture/exp. correction etc.), so that one works fine i.m.o. 

Anyway, just curious about opinions and maybe i'm just wrong, for now a bit irritating I cannot set with full confidence a minimum shutter-speed and truly hope it's firmware-fixable. Thanks in advance

totally normal.

But you can lower your max ISO value to the one you want to use. Not really practical, but feasible.

My wife is taking photos this weekend with our Q2. I DEFINITELY will have it on Auto-ISO with the slowest shutter speed of 1/250. She won’t know I’ve set it up that way, but it gives us a chance of her getting some sharp photos. She does not really enjoy taking photos, but does it when I’m not available. 

Losing the min shutter speed when manually selecting ISO is the same for every camera I've ever owebd- leica, canon, Nikon and Fuji. What else would it do? Only other option would be under exposure. 

@nicci78 thanks, good to now it's "normal" at Leica, indeed, setting max-ISO is a kind of alternative. Wish it was slightly different, but doable altogether ;)

@iQ2 thanks for your response, yes, I often shoot street (95%) with my Q2, mostly "in the walk" so a minimum shutter speed is essential for me (and my shaking hands after too much coffee ;) ) but at the same time I want to keep some form of control over Aperture and ISO, by relating the min-shutter to the ISO Auto, you loose half control, indeed as @ralphh mentioned, perhaps I explicitly want under/over exposure or just set/fix my ISO so I know the shutter-speed is AT LEAST my minimum setting, but preferably higher so set it to the lowest ISO in the given condition. Anyway, thanks all for the replies, all's clear and lost hope for any changes, reading your replies haha..still a cool camera, the Q2.

@Burtiess FYI with CL firmware update 3.1 Leica just changed auto ISO behaviour. It will favour « correct » exposure instead of maintaining minimum shutter speed specified into Auto ISO menu. 

Not sure how the change occurred yet. Have to use it more before drawing any conclusion. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

24 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

@Burtiess FYI with CL firmware update 3.1 Leica just changed auto ISO behaviour. It will favour « correct » exposure instead of maintaining minimum shutter speed specified into Auto ISO menu. 

Not sure how the change occurred yet. Have to use it more before drawing any conclusion. 

Oh well. I just was satisfied I’d figured out how to use Auto ISO and make it work for me. It seems sort of counter productive if they let the shutter speed drop below the specified  minimum. I’d have thought it would drop to that setting then start raising ISO. I’ll have to look at what they’ve done. I expect there’s pretty good logic behind it. Hopefully!:-)

43 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

FYI with CL firmware update 3.1 Leica just changed auto ISO behaviour. It will favour « correct » exposure instead of maintaining minimum shutter speed specified into Auto ISO menu. 

My addled brain does not like the term minimum when one really means slowest or longest. :)

17 minutes ago, pico said:

My addled brain does not like the term minimum when one really means slowest or longest. :)

I stand totally corrected. Every time I write minimum shutter speed an alarm goes off. I’ll adopt your slowest speed language from now on. Thanks. 

Maximum and minimum speeds are not necessarily fast and slow are they? Those are maximum and minimum speed limits in my book but i may be totally wrong. :cool: