Q2 Wedding settings recommendations

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings,

I would welcome any recommendations for possible settings for shooting my son's wedding.  I am not primary photographer, but will have my new Q2 along with M240 and Nocti.

I am still 'fumbling' with possible settings and given wedding is rapidly approaching, I would welcome suggestions for exterior group and pair (bride and groom) shots.  If bright is it recommended to put ND on? I want to use autofocus on Q2 and ability to shot off-center.  Do I defer to facial tracking and center weighted exposure, auto ISO and shot F5.6 for groups and perhaps F4 for pairs in A mode.

For indoor dinner/dancing-- welcome setting suggestions as well please.

Many thanks,

Ed

Wow this is a big question as there is no one answer that can cover all of the setting one uses during a wedding shoot. I have photographed over 1,000 weddings during my work at a wedding photographer.  I always shot manual so I had complete control and always raw. I center focus only and recompose.  I had used the original Q for several weddings and the camera never disappointed. 

Best of luck 

• Like 2

If no one is counting on you for photographs, I would recommend just putting it on auto everything—the first user profile (the one you can’t update or override) and don’t worry about it.  

It’s your son’s wedding!  Enjoy it!  The last thing you need to be thinking about is camera settings.  Just enjoy the event, and capture what moments feel important to you.

• Like 2

As stated by sturkel, that's a LOT of question(s) there.  I think I'd also vote for the 'auto everything" answer.  Then try not to intimidate the hired photographer with those red dots, he/she might get the impression of serious competition.  I would have back in my wedding days.  They tend to stand out, while most guests point & shoots do not.  It's your son, have fun, worry about what you shot later.

I'm doing exactly the same next week. I'm not the professional, but my son and his bride want me shooting some that evening but being the main photographer the night before (rehearsal dinner) and the day after (group hike). I'm using my Q and my CL, the latter with either the 18-56 or Zeiss 50 f/1.5, depending on conditions, and possibly a flash. I don't worry too much about settings, as I have my own feel for my cameras and lenses. More importantly, I'm just going to shoot lots, and lots, and lots. Most will be fine, and others I'll salvage in post.

You don't need to overthink this: there are now wedding photographers using only iphone cameras. 

Enjoy and congratulations!!!

I’ve concluded that AUTO ISO is really beneficial. I’d set a minimum (max time) shutter that you feel confident you can hold the camera steady. I chose 1/125. You can then leave the shutter in A. I’d mostly either set the aperture to A or if I was photographing small groups of people f/4. I’d choose Field focusing and slow speed continuous. I just shot a wedding reception with the Q2 and got more keepers than throw aways. If I were doing this for hire I’d have at least one other photographer working the scene and I’d also be carrying my Canon 5D3 with a 70-200 lens. A flash when the light goes down. Good luck. 

• Like 2

I know that wedding photography is not necessarily portrait photography, but I always find this guy extremely helpful, and much of what he says is directly applicable. I'm also thinking of doing a lot of B&W (or rendering it in post), since it will complement what the professional photographer will be doing in color.

• Like 2

I did Professional Photographer Weddings in the Uk, here I just do friends and family.. Extra SD Cards already formatted, a spare battery (at least 1) fully charged & a spare camera with SD formatted card & spare fully charged battery.. If cameras do go wrong it's at the Wedding that trouble starts.. Keep a smile on your face, say please and thank you, don't drink too much & finally don't forget the Bride at home b4 the ceremonies even begin.. Auto is good, don't forget your EV settings..If possible Bracket some family shots..  Don't trip over the brides dress, it's been done... Good Luck..

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I know that wedding photography is not necessarily portrait photography, but I always find this guy extremely helpful, and much of what he says is directly applicable. I'm also thinking of doing a lot of B&W (or rendering it in post), since it will complement what the professional photographer will be doing in color.

Some excellent suggestions. Thanks. 

• Like 1