Macro without 'stacking'...is it really worth it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Coming from an Oly background where 'in camera' automatic stacking was the norm I'm  finding it difficult to do without it, I even managed to get very many 'keepers' hand held.

My intention was to get the TL60mm macro but I'm having serious doubts. For the less money I could get an E-M1 Mkll with a Oly 60mm macro lens....AND....in camera stacking. When I had the Oly the number of in-camera stacking shots was 8, I believe that has now been increased to 15 with the FW update 3.0/1.

If anyone can convince me to stay loyal to Leica I'd appreciate it........BUT..........will the CL ever have 'in-camera' stacking?

A few stacked shots.......

P6230254-2-Edit-Steve by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

P6230272-2-1 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

P6230263-2-1 by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

P6030893-2-Edit by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

rectangle_New-Out99999-3-1 copy by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

The IQ that is possible from the Oly 60mm Macro, not my shot BTW.

Oyster mushrooms gone mad by Richard Mayston, on Flickr

Edited by Dave in Wales
  • Like 2

Excellent! I have no experience of stacking, nor any substantial need beyond that provided by using well-chosen f-stop values to yield desired depth of field. For professional product photography, it is a different matter.

Lots of stacking tips documented on the Extreme Macro and Photomacrography websites … where enthusiasts using all types of cameras, generally do not use marque macro lenses … because there are better and much cheaper solutions available.  

http://extreme-macro.co.uk/focus-stacking/

dunk 

Never used stacking myself, but I've seen some lovely work (like yours) done with it, using many different cameras. The fact that it's not 'in camera' isn't much of a hindrance given the kinds of subject matter that it's appropriate to and what you need to do to get quality exposures. 

There is plenty of stacking software out there, including Photoshop Photomerge. The only thing you'll miss is the automatic focus shift during the burst, you'll have to do that manually. 
However, the 3/4rds stacking automation by Olympus and Panasonic will only render a JPG image from 4K video, no raw shooting.

@ Tom. On Panasonic 4/3rds the camera will shoot a 4K video clip in "post-focus" mode whilst shifting the AF. In the computer you can either pick the plane of focus or stack selected images.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jaap, David

Real interesting, 30 years ago I needed a view camera to focus on complete micro surgical tools. This seems easier but only produces 4K video files, interested in what the Olympus can do. As I said i ran into this doing clinical eye imaging, the stack would be 75 -150 images and a huge file. Our server managers at the hospital would go crazy when you said each file was 200-500 mb. Anyway something to look into.

Tom