Why Not an interchangible Leica Qx?

4 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Please make a kind of QL. It will become an instant hit 

I do not care about SL. It is way too big for me. 

Sigma fp ?  :D

Nope something in between. 

FP missed a real focal plane shutter. Full electronic shutter is not ready for prime time. 

A body more substantial for the hand. Just like the Q body. 

An EVF. A must for using M lenses. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Please make a kind of QL. It will become an instant hit 

I do not care about SL. It is way too big for me. 

I have no doubt your right. There has been a desire for an EVF M for a long time, but actually a Q/M shaped L mount camera with an EVF might be much more practical. 

L-mount is Leica's future. It offers compatibility with all Leica's lenses : native TL and SL lenses, LTM (through M adapter), M, R, S and event Cinema lenses with PL mount adapter. With Sigma and Panasonic L-mount objectives. What's not to like ? 

M mount EVF camera, will be too restrictive. Only M, LTM and R lenses compatibility. 

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

Nope something in between. 

FP missed a real focal plane shutter. Full electronic shutter is not ready for prime time. 

A body more substantial for the hand. Just like the Q body. 

An EVF. A must for using M lenses. 

Then the Q is for YOU 😦

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Q is lovely

M lenses are lovely. 

Even better, matching lovely Q body with lovely M lenses. 

Right now lovely CL is the perfect match for M lenses. But we lose fast wide angles lenses. Only access to slow 24mm equivalent at best.

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

vor 11 Minuten schrieb ralphh:

We could argue back and forth all day about whether leica really have a gap in their product lineup or not, but im pretty sure an M style body with an L mount and an EVF would sell like hotcakes 

But is not the Sigma fp exactly that hot cake?

Not for me - it's about as far from an L mount M camera as you could get in my mind. No viewfinder of any sort, no deducatee shutter speed dial but millions of dedicated buttons for adjusting jpeg parameters and the general design ethos is a polar oppose to leicas clean minimalist look. Looks like a L mount camera mainly for shooting video to me

Edited by ralphh

I guess Leica should have realized its future is in its past: the M style body with EVF, and M style lenses with AF and , fast prime.and zoom., and of course it is L mount.

What Leica has achieved in L mount is much improved IQ but not in M style form factor yet. Theoretically, without the OVF blocking issue , and with the reduced flange distance and wider L mount diameter, together with the digital lens correction, it might be possible to have the half frame L system to match the full frame M IQ and form style. I also think (hope)  a full frame L with “reduced resolution and size” not as high as SL but comparable or close to the M, is possible.

Who will buy it? You bet!

Edited by Einst_Stein

4 hours ago, M10 for me said:

But is not the Sigma fp exactly that hot cake?

The Sigma fp is primarily a modular cine camera, designed for easy access to a range of shooting accessories and lenses that enable it to be used in the many various ways that cine cameras need to be used, with still photography capabilities as well. It's a rather more pointed device than anything like the CL or M for still photography. 

The distinctions between cine and still camera blur with digital capture since the implementations are often combined, but they're still quite real. For still work, the fp is more a miniature technical camera than a general purpose shooter. Its biggest claim to fame in the still end of the game is being the smallest box yet with a full frame sensor and a versatile interchangeable lens mount in it. Nuances of still photography control ergonomics, etc—that make the Leica CL/TL/M/etc special—are lacking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evikne said:

I doubt you will ever see this, because AF requires larger lenses.

A nit: Auto focusing may imply larger lenses due to all the additional in-lens mechanism required for its implementation, but it doesn't require larger lenses. :) 

What AF does require is some kind of mechanism ... either wholly or partially in the lens ... to drive the focusing helicoid. This mechanism does require some space, somewhere, but the greater loss to me of AF systems incorporated into lenses is the loss of some level of focusing feel rather than the gain of a couple of mm in diameter. That's one thing Leica has managed very well with their AF lenses, in general: the manual focusing feel of the SL, TL, and fixed lens cameras like the Q and X 113 has been excellent. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 8:19 AM, Fotoklaus said:

Which who would buy, if there was a Q with interchangeable lenses... ?

None because it would not be a Q any more ;). But an M body with built-in EVF could be my (your?) cup of tea provided it allows for automatic focus magnification which implies an M mount like this one perhaps: https://leicarumors.com/page/10/

55 minutes ago, ramarren said:

A nit: Auto focusing may imply larger lenses due to all the additional in-lens mechanism required for its implementation, but it doesn't require larger lenses. :) 

What AF does require is some kind of mechanism ... either wholly or partially in the lens ... to drive the focusing helicoid. This mechanism does require some space, somewhere, but the greater loss to me of AF systems incorporated into lenses is the loss of some level of focusing feel rather than the gain of a couple of mm in diameter. That's one thing Leica has managed very well with their AF lenses, in general: the manual focusing feel of the SL, TL, and fixed lens cameras like the Q and X 113 has been excellent. 

But the lens designer will make use of the opportunity to make better- thus larger- lenses.