Zoom lever problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just acquired the Leica-D Lux 7 and have not used yet. As I was setting up the camera today I realized that the zoom lever is not responding. If I shut the camera down the lens retracts and it opens in telephoto when I turn the camera on, other then that it does not respond.

Could I have touched something inadvertently to cause this, and does anyone know if this can be corrected without contacting Leica ?

The reset is a good idea.  The default settings should power-up the camera in the full wide angle setting, and you zoom tighter with the zoom  lever.

It's also vaguely possible that you inadvertently set the camera to open at the last used zoom setting, and that you're only trying to zoom to telephoto out of habit, not even trying to zoom the other way.

Thank you and Lykaman for the good advice, your second estimate of the problem sounds logical. As it turns out I decided to go to the menu and check all settings, and if it made sense, anything that was set to “off” I changed to “on” and somewhere along the line I hit the right setting and the lens retracted and the zoom worked. I believe that the zoom setting was set to off and when I changed it to on that corrected the problem or as you suggested I may have set the camera to open in the last zoom setting. 

Still don’t know how it happened since all I did when I got the camera was set the time and zone, but I’m glad it’s resolved.

I do have one question, both responses to my problem recommended doing a complete reset, which made sense to me. I went through the menu resetting items because I could not figure how to do a complete reset, and didn’t find instructions in the manual. I would appreciate directions on how to do that.

Thanks again for all the good advice .