Can I sue for national alienation? :)

pico

• jaapv pinned this topic

Hello Verwackelt,

Good idea,

The various Sections such as "Lenses" will help with technical English & "Barnack's Bar" will provide English from & for a wide variety of perspectives.

And don't forget to look in here & around the Forum in general, once & a while.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, verwackelt said:

😉 I visit the international section intentionally to improve my rotten school english that i have almost forgotten within the last 30 years.

Good to Know   gescheit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Verwackelt,

Good idea,

The various Sections such as "Lenses" will help with technical English & "Barnack's Bar" will provide English from & for a wide variety of perspectives.

And don't forget to look in here & around the Forum in general, once & a while.

Best Regards,

Michael

Yes, you will find examples of home made idioms - “once and a while”???

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My daughter, an interpreter, married a Frenchman, also a linguist. Spending time with them is a lesson in how to politely correct each other's English/French. They never let a mistake or inappropriate usage, or misused colloquialism, go past without correction. And they're still married.

I worked in a mixed language environment and always appreciated having my French corrected but where you are the native speaker you have to be careful not to disrupt the conversation’s flow and to let pass unusual but poetic idiosyncrasies. Funny thing, the French will not have a clue what you are talking about if you get le and la mixed up.

Round about year 2000 my then GF and I spent a week in Paris, we took a tour and ended up just outside Paris, for Lunch we stopped at a restaurant which I remember as a Roundhouse (circular building) - anyways being my smart arse self, I ordered in French, that certainly impressed the GF,  a guy on the next table leaned over and in pure east end English said, guv, they print English on the other side of the menu..The food was good and thereafter we spent the rest of the vacation with a very nice East Ham couple..  My favorite eating was at small bistro just across the river from Notre Dam, fresh bread, onion soup and a glass..heaven.. L

Edited by lykaman

In 1989, I took my girlfriend to Paris - her first visit to the City of Light.  She took her shoes off and walked through a fountain, and I took her to a fabulous restaurant. She order rognons; I ordered a steak au poivres vert. When the meals arrived, I pointed out the waiter had our meals the wrong way round. She loved her meal, and the kidneys weren’t too bad!

Am 14.7.2019 um 05:08 schrieb pico:

Gosh darn the commingling of German and English posts under the unread option, for such exposure I have involuntarily begun to understand some German!

Well, as an owner of a German camera you should regard this as a pleasure, not a burden...😀

• Like 1