Leica Fotos 1.3 disappoints CL owners

I have Leica FOTOs v1.3 installed on my iPhone 8 Plus and iPad Pro 11". It works perfectly with the CL using the CL as a WiFi hotspot, even better than the previous version did. Downloading DNG exposures to the iPhone is about twice as fast as it was before, and the camera control functionality is much more reliable. I used it from the iPhone 8 to control the CL for a copywork job just yesterday that involved capturing 350 Polaroid prints... Worked the entire job without a hitch and with the CL using less than one full battery charge. 

I don't know anything about the transfer of location data ... I never use location data except with photos made using the iPhone's cameras 

4 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I don't know anything about the transfer of location data ... I never use location data

Neither do I need it. Such would be a sure sign of dementia, and should I get to that state I will not care.

From grandchild, "Where did you take that picture, Grandpa Pico?"
My response, "Who are you?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, pico said:

Neither do I need it. Such would be a sure sign of dementia, and should I get to that state I will not care.

From grandchild, "Where did you take that picture, Grandpa Pico?"
My response, "Who are you?"

Well said.  I have no use for GPS data either.  

As you've indicated, if one can't recall where their images had been acquired, location data is the least of their problems.  On the other hand, if you're an aerial photographer, GPS data may be essential.  But for the ground pounders it has little utility.

Edited by ron777

23 minutes ago, ron777 said:

But for the ground pounders it has little utility.

Ground pounders. I haven't heard that term for maybe fifty years.
-- Pico, a genuine ground pounder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just upgrade to Fotos 1.3 using it as a cable release, Vivitar 90-180 macro f8 1/40th, focused on Fotos (could be higher res). But Fotos locks in with the camera, even showing a friend 15 ft away from the camera, did not lose its lock. Used the old version with copy work. The 1.3 has a larger image field, which is nice.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pico said:

Ground pounders. I haven't heard that term for maybe fifty years.
-- Pico, a genuine ground pounder

Happy to have triggered your memory.

Edited by ron777

I'm going on a 40 day hiking trip across mostly countryside and would like to have location data to remember details about the abandoned village or forest I was in. Location data would one of the pieces of the puzzle to put into a collated trip. Walking 6 to 8 hours a day doesn't and shouldn't leave much time to record every detail at every place a photo is taken.

Just think how many photos that trip would yield and mostly without obvious scenic references to a know landmark like a city or tourist site. 

Some people (like me) would find location data very useful in this circumstance. The post wasn't a poll on whether people need location data. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, g2van said:

I'm going on a 40 day hiking trip across mostly countryside and would like to have location data to remember details about the abandoned village or forest I was in. Location data would one of the pieces of the puzzle to put into a collated trip. Walking 6 to 8 hours a day doesn't and shouldn't leave much time to record every detail at every place a photo is taken.

Just think how many photos that trip would yield and mostly without obvious scenic references to a know landmark like a city or tourist site. 

Some people (like me) would find location data very useful in this circumstance. The post wasn't a poll on whether people need location data. 

For that kind of thing I find gps4cam much more useful than simple EXIF data.

http://www.gps4cam.com/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndreasG said:

I am curious, what do you do with the DNGs on the iPhone?

I usually process them quickly with Snapseed or Photos/RAW Power, post them online or email/txt them to someone who wanted/needed a photo immediately. When I get back to my desk, I move both whatever I rendered on the iPhone and the original DNG into my usual image processing system. Sometimes I re-render it, because my desktop tools and the big monitor let me do a better job, but often what I did on the iPhone (and/or iPad) is just fine as is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

For the purposes mentioned above, wouldn't be a small size  jpg sufficient?

Perhaps, but that would require that I turn on JPEG+raw capture and set whatever appropriate JPEG rendering settings would be useful in-camera, remember to adjust them as situations and such change, et cetera. My photo workflow is all raw files at capture time for simplicity ... then I only have to worry about getting my exposure right, rendering decisions are all made after the fact at image processing time.

All of my digital cameras are set to capture only raw files (and my Leica M-D 262 can't do anything else anyway) so there's little point, and a lot more complication, to adding turning JPEG on and off in one camera for the occasional need. :)

Snapseed, Photos, RAW Power, and Affinity Photo on the iPhone/iPad give me much more flexibility and precision in creating rendered JPEGs from raw files than I can manage with any in-camera JPEG engine. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, g2van said:

Or you could use an old fashioned pencil/pen and notebook!

21 hours ago, g2van said:

It's fine ... GPS is a good convenience. But that's what it is to me, a convenience that I choose to use when it's apropos to my needs. Of course, I'm long past the point of shooting a bazillion photographs in the first place, and I rarely am so rushed that I can't make a note in my journal that I stopped in a particular location and made a few photographs. Yes, I still write journals... :D I find them much more satisfying than electronic notes or voice recordings. A 3x5 Moleskine is my friend...! 

• Like 1

I've never even tried Leica Fotos with bluetooth - I've only used it with wifi.

Unlike some others here, my experience with it is not good: difficult to get an initial connection and slow to download (typically 45secs or more per raw image.). I have recently had better success with the initial connection by avoiding automatic connection through Leica Fotos, but manually connecting to the visible CL wifi hotspot using the phone's wifi settings. This is quick enough, as my phone already has the relevant password. I wonder whether either my phone (Huawei P10) or Leica Fotos is too easily confused by competing alternative networks to connect automatically, and is helped by me making a deliberate choice.

In response to other questions, I also download to my phone for the purposes of social media; I usually do this through the Lightroom CC app, which means that my raw file is automatically transferred to my Lightroom CC catalogue - no need to deal with jpgs or separate editing apps. 

12 hours ago, ramarren said:

It's fine ... GPS is a good convenience. But that's what it is to me, a convenience that I choose to use when it's apropos to my needs. Of course, I'm long past the point of shooting a bazillion photographs in the first place, and I rarely am so rushed that I can't make a note in my journal that I stopped in a particular location and made a few photographs. Yes, I still write journals... :D I find them much more satisfying than electronic notes or voice recordings. A 3x5 Moleskine is my friend...! 

When hiking more than 20km a day, it's a hiking trip over a photography one. Photographs are made fast on the go unless a something really special presents itself. If you have tried hiking with a group (just for pace while training) taking a quick snapshot will leave you 25m or more behind. Reaching for notes to write, will leave you another 25m behind. Doing this consistently over the hike will leave you way behind on pace (even though it's not a race) and even if you don't shoot incessantly (don't even shoot more than 50 shots on each 20km day hike). I've tried this on previous multi day hiking trips - it's about fast access to camera and seeing the shot way ahead of time, even getting the settings ready while walking towards the spot (yes, for landscapes) and not only just getting to a spot to wow and then pull out the camera (of course that can happen in "round the bend" situations). Also, pull out pen to record a location that's not shown at the site, say in a stream of an unnamed forest - how to know where one is without having to resort to pulling out the phone with google maps? For this hike, my phone will be on airplane mode unless really needed, no GPS, no data, no whatsapp, IG, FB.

So the idea of using GPS on FOTOs is set it and forget it. The feature is already available, just not for wifi - that was my original gripe.