Failure to shut down/freeze up's

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday, while reviewing a few frames, my Q locked into one shot, and would not move or shut down.  Removed the battery, and re-started, it was fine.  I had just upgraded the firmware the day before from 3 to 3.1.  Any ideas??  I have seen a few Fuji X100's act this way, for no reason, but didn't expect it from Leica.  Could this be related to the firmware upgrade?  Thanks!

Now that you mention it, I think it was a UHS-II card.  I have several and had used one by mistake.   Good tip, thanks!  Now, if I could just disable this darn video record button. (come on firmware upgrade???)

5 minutes ago, MikeD70 said:

Now that you mention it, I think it was a UHS-II card.  I have several and had used one by mistake.   Good tip, thanks!  Now, if I could just disable this darn video record button. (come on firmware upgrade???)

I never had a lockup while using UHS-I cards. I used Sandisk Extreme Pro cards. Shortly after installing a UHS-II card, I had a lockup similar to yours. I had to remove the battery to get the camera back working normally. I switched back to the slower cards and didn’t see the problem again.

Good luck on the video button. It’s kind of ghetto, but you could put a little cap over it with gaffers tape and that would remove the potential of pushing it. I occasionally accidentally pushed it, but mostly learned to just avoid that area. A minor annoyance. 

24 minutes ago, MikeD70 said:

Mine locked up early on as I didn't realize I had put myself into the video screen and was videoing rather than shooting singles, and continual presses of the shutter just locked up the camera. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another distinct possibility, in my case.  I've put all my other cameras away, sort of immersion therapy, Leica style!  Problem will be finding a reason to get those others out.

(love the quote, by the way!)

• 3 years later...

I want to just add my own experience to this thread. I recently bought a Q in pristine condition here in Tokyo, not a single scratch on it, but a month after buying it this strange freezing issue started, I tried using older/slower cards to no avail, different batteries as well. I eventually figured out it would only freeze if I used autofocus (I pretty much didn’t use any autofocus for the first month which is why it took a while for the issue to crop up). So probably memory related since the processor is working harder because of the autofocus? Not sure…would love to hear others’ opinion. I can’t return it, bought it from a private seller, but since I’m very comfortable not using autofocus again it’s actually not a problem for me. 

The first thing I would do is get it evaluated and repaired. There's no, zero, reason an auto-focus camera should freeze up because of using autofocus.

As far as the previously mentioned problem with UHS II cards. I find that a bit silly. I've used UHS II exclusively for a long time, on all my Leicas, and never had an issue.  Especially since that's what Leica recommends.  I buy them by the dozen and keep dozens around.