Holiday Help! - CL frozen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope someone can help, I am currently on holiday in the Far East and my camera (Leica CL) has suddenly died.

i was using it last night and toggling the play button and shutter button between taking a couple of sunset shots with different settings and then looking at them through the viewfinder. 

All of a sudden the camera displays went off and wouldn’t switch back on. 

I recharged the battery, and after reinserting the following morning it is still the same. 

As I turn the camera on the little led at the bottom rear of the camera flashes once in red but then - nothing. 

Nothing has physically happened to the camera, it’s as if the software has frozen or crashed.

does anyone know of any button combination to press (like you can with an iPhone) which can reset the software?

i have read the manual but can’t find anything and emailed Leica but am waiting for a reply. 

Would be grateful for any advice, we still have a week of our holiday left!!

Many thanks. 

Ravi. 

Thanks to you both for this. I had already done jaapv’s suggestion but have just tried dau’s  

I didn’t have another SD card so I borrowed my sons from his Sony A7. 

This does seem to have kicked camera into life and i was initially very optimistic. 

I got the original little “welcome to your CL” animation start up and it invited me to set the time and date. 

However it wouldn’t actually let me set anything on that screen (date format or time) 

it then said the SD card was locked (but it wasn’t) and I tried my original SD card again and this time got the same SD card locked message. 

I clicked the shutter release and I was able to see thru the VF but the f number wasn’t displaying and turning the Setting wheels didnt help

it also wouldn’t autofocus

the image through the VF looked a little green which was odd.  

The camera was now getting a little warm and so I switched it off and it did not immediately switch off and I got a white screen on the rear display.  I Removed the battery and the screen then went dark  

I have attached a picture. 

I shall leave it till tomorrow and see if that makes any difference but I think something has gone wrong with it  although I really can’t think why  

Typical it has to happen the first time I take it abroad!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thankfully I have a warranty card (dated last August) and the camera has been registered  on the Leica website so I am hopeful that Leica will address this if I have no joy tomorrow morning  

The Leica forum is obviously full of caring, sympathetic individuals, for which I am grateful. 

I will indeed keep you posted if the camera needs to be returned which I will attend to on my return to the uk.

We are in Koh Samui at the moment and will be returning to Bangkok for 24 hours before returning home to the uk - I wonder if I should go to the Leica store there?

thank you all for your concern, my wife is fascinated!

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening

Follow up as requested!

Now back in the UK and had a conversation with Red Dot cameras, who reiterated the advice here but then also suggested I try to reinstall the firmware.

This I did (or attempted to do) and it was not successful. The camera is now unresponsive when switched on and will only switch off if the battery is removed.

I was then  instructed to phone Leica in Mayfair (Customer Care department) and the lady I spoke with there was very helpful. 

She has sent me some paperwork to complete and enclose with the camera and also a UPS shipping label for the Camera to go direct to Germany.

I shall be sending it off tomorrow and will keep you updated!

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.