Can M6 Zinc Oxidation Be Reversed?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, AndreasG said:

I would not go so far. As to my information, only a few production batches right at the beginning suffer from the zinc bubble issue, caused by a faulty plating process - plating is comprised of several layers, not only  the final "black chrome". I keep a 1996 and a 1990 M6, both are still perfect, not a single bubble, whereas a 1985 R4s looks like suffering black pox, even after repeated change of the top cover (but technically still top!).

I had an '84 M6 that suffered from bubbles. I sold it and got a clean '98 TTL for only $100 more.

If the cosmetic defect bothers the OP that much, the easiest thing to do is to sell it and buy a later version as wattsy and AndreasG have suggested.

1 hour ago, AndreasG said:

I would not go so far. As to my information, only a few production batches right at the beginning suffer from the zinc bubble issue, caused by a faulty plating process - plating is comprised of several layers, not only  the final "black chrome". I keep a 1996 and a 1990 M6, both are still perfect, not a single bubble, whereas a 1985 R4s looks like suffering black pox, even after repeated change of the top cover (but technically still top!).

Fully agree. Whilst the problem is unsightly, it will not affect the operation of the camera. Leica introduced the zinc top plate to overcome the problems of distorted brass top plates. The number of distorted brass top plates was miniscule and very much can be said of the oxidised zinc top plates. I have never experienced any M6 with the problem and I know of no one else who has. Having said that it is obvious that a very small number did have the problem but, as in many things, when you read the posts on this forum you would think it was commonplace.

I bought my early black Wetzlar M6 a couple of years ago with several bubbles over the top plate.

A better practical change, if you want to do something that is a real useful difference, I had the upgraded MP range/viewfinder installed on mine.

7 hours ago, Gregm61 said:

I bought my early black Wetzlar M6 a couple of years ago with several bubbles over the top plate.

A better practical change, if you want to do something that is a real useful difference, I had the upgraded MP range/viewfinder installed on mine.

I might as well transform my M6 into an MP with a new top plate, winder, dials. I'll be able to sell it for 5000$ afterwards. 😆

The MP VF upgrade is in the back of my mind for sure though.