Three Sigma L-Mount Lenses Announced

Maybe I am the only one, but I find these three lenses ....  :wacko:     Difficult to express what it is, but I find almost all other Sigma lenses much more interesting. I would rather have liked to see the existing 1.4/35 or the existing 1.4/50 offered in L-mount. Price and features (e.g.weight of 35) are much more attractive to me. At least the 45mm seems to be some sort of macro lens with a short minimal focal distance. Still not really attractive for me (too short for macro). Also instead of the 14-24 I would have found a 2.8/24-70 or 2/24-35 much more useful. So I find these new offerings a downturn. Using existing lenses with a Canon adaptor seems currently more useful to me, despite limited AF features.

If a newcomer asked me what to buy I would currently have to refer him to Canon or Sony, where Sigma has much more interesting and affordable offerings. So currently the alliance does not work too well. Maybe if more lenses are available from Panasonic the picture will brighten up.

Edited by caissa

I just saw the prices for the new Lmount lenses. They are much higher (>50%) than existing comparable sigma lenses - it is really ridiculous.

Take e.g. the f2.8/45mm: 750plus (SFr) for a boring slow normal lens (small but not so special).  Is this attractive for anybody ?

Comparison: Canon 1.8/50 STM (a well constructed lens) is 100, Nikon is 160, ...

Edited by caissa

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/15/2019 at 2:50 PM, wlaidlaw said:

I was amazed to see that the 35/1.2 has 17 elements in 12 groups. This is much more like the Zeiss philosophy than Leica, whose nearest equivalent the 35/1.4 M FLE has just 9 elements in 5 groups. No wonder it is the size of a bazooka and weighs 1.1kg.

The other feature on the new lenses that I find a considerable disappointment and it might even be a deal breaker for me, is on the 14-24 wide angle zoom. Because of the design of the barrel and the bulbous front element, fitting of front filters is not possible. For wide angle use for landscapes, I would very often mount a polariser and/or a stopper and/or a graduated ND or graduated coloured filter as well, all in Cokin P or Lee 100 holders. I know that Sigma have made provision for a rear sheet type filter but that is not even half an answer. 

Wilson

You can use the Lee 150 System for bulbous front element lenses. I have tried it on several such lenses and it performs very well.

On 11/6/2019 at 12:25 PM, Iainho70 said:

You can use the Lee 150 System for bulbous front element lenses. I have tried it on several such lenses and it performs very well.

Iain, 

The problem is that the Lee 150 system is both bulky and expensive. I already have two filter systems, the Cokin P (70mm) system and the Lee 100 system and am disinclined to buy yet another, along with holders and hoods. 

Wilson

Have the £1450 35mm F1.2 and it is rather heavy and not of insignificant bulk but feels very well made. If I didn't have strong arms I wouldn't bother with it :)

I am used to lugging big, heavy lenses. My other lens is the SL 16-35 which I use for landscape and seascapes.

When I get my SL2 (on order) I will post some images and do a mini-review, if anyone would be interested. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Iainho70 said:

Have the £1450 35mm F1.2 and it is rather heavy and not of insignificant bulk but feels very well made. If I didn't have strong arms I wouldn't bother with it :)

I am used to lugging big, heavy lenses. My other lens is the SL 16-35 which I use for landscape and seascapes.

When I get my SL2 (on order) I will post some images and do a mini-review, if anyone would be interested. 

I have an SL and the 35 f/1.2 Art.  I would be most interested to see Sigma 35 sample images from your new SL2 when it arrives.  Thanks in advance.

• Thanks 1