LUF Admin

Three Sigma L-Mount Lenses Announced

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sigma has announced three L-Mount lenses:

• 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Art
  • 35mm F1.2 DG DN Art
  • AF 45mm F/2.8 DG DN Contemporary
PPhoto_45_2.8_dg_dn_c019_horizontal_Emt.jpg PPhoto_35_1.2_dg_dn_a019_horizontal2.jpg PPhoto_14_24_2.8_dgdn_a019_horizontal_Lmt.jpg

Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN specifications

Principal specifications
Lens type Prime lens
Max Format size 35mm FF
Focal length 35 mm
Image stabilization No
Lens mount Leica SL, Sony FE
Aperture
Maximum aperture F1.2
Minimum aperture F16
Aperture ring Yes
Number of diaphragm blades 11
Optics
Elements 17
Groups 12
Special elements / coatings 3 aspherical + 3 'SLD' elements
Focus
Minimum focus 0.30 m (11.81″)
Maximum magnification 0.2×
Autofocus Yes
Motor type Ring-type ultrasonic
Full time manual Yes
Focus method Internal
Distance scale No
DoF scale No
Physical
Weight 1090 g (2.40 lb)
Diameter 88 mm (3.46″)
Length 136 mm (5.35″)
Materials Magnesium alloy
Sealing Yes
Colour Black
Filter thread 82 mm
Hood supplied Yes
Other
Notes Weight and dimensions for L-mount version

Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN | A specifications

Principal specifications
Lens type Zoom lens
Max Format size 35mm FF
Focal length 14–24 mm
Image stabilization No
Lens mount Leica SL, Sony FE
Aperture
Maximum aperture F2.8
Minimum aperture F22
Aperture ring No
Number of diaphragm blades 11
Optics
Elements 18
Groups 13
Special elements / coatings One FLD + five SLD + three aspherical elements, Nanon Porous + Super Multi-layer coatings
Focus
Minimum focus 0.28 m (11.02″)
Maximum magnification 0.14×
Autofocus Yes
Motor type Stepper motor
Full time manual Yes
Focus method Internal
Distance scale No
DoF scale No
Physical
Weight 795 g (1.75 lb)
Diameter 85 mm (3.35″)
Length 131 mm (5.16″)
Materials Magnesium alloy
Sealing Yes
Colour Black
Hood supplied Yes
Other
Notes Weight and dimensions for L-mount version

In contrast to their weird camera, I might well be in the market for the 14-24 lens, price dependant. 

Wilson

I remember an interview with a Leica lens designer many years ago. He said it is easy to get the performance if there are no size and weight constraints.

That 35mm f1.2 is a never-take-with-me lens.

Could challenge my 11-23 for bag space, will have to wait and see

3 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

In contrast to their weird camera, I might well be in the market for the 14-24 lens, price dependant. 

Wilson

It doesn't appear to have an aperture ring or a focus ring, Wilson, would that be a problem?

Pete.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, farnz said:

It doesn't appear to have an aperture ring or a focus ring, Wilson, would that be a problem?

Pete.

All three have focusing rings. All three are designed for body-sited aperture control. The zoom has a zoom ring too. 

2 minutes ago, ramarren said:

All three have focusing rings. All three are designed for body-sited aperture control. The zoom has a zoom ring too. 

Oh, right, I missed the focus ring.

The 45/2.8 appears to have a manual aperture ring and I assume that the "A" setting enables in-body aperture setting as well as auto-aperture.

Pete.

8 minutes ago, farnz said:

Oh, right, I missed the focus ring.

The 45/2.8 appears to have a manual aperture ring and I assume that the "A" setting enables in-body aperture setting as well as auto-aperture.

Pete.

Looks like both of the prime lenses have aperture rings from the photos.

In the days of the Panasonic-Leica FourThirds SLR lenses, they had aperture rings that were simply inert on Olympus bodies where the FT bodies were designed with aperture controls. Can't tell from the photos how these Sigma lenses work on different L-mount bodies, of course. 

16 hours ago, farnz said:

Pete.

Pete, 

I have plenty of wide angle MF lenses. The SL's AF with joystick is so accurate and flexible I very rarely use MF on the 24-90 on my SL. I would imagine the same would apply for a 14-24. 

Wilson

On 7/12/2019 at 7:51 PM, Alistairm said:

The 45 f2.8 looks like we might finally have a compact, full-frame L Mount lens! 

But autofocus? There are no details here to check but it doesn't look like an AF lens. In which case it's difficult to imagine how it improves on my M Summicron 50.

7 minutes ago, antigallican said:

But autofocus? There are no details here to check but it doesn't look like an AF lens. In which case it's difficult to imagine how it improves on my M Summicron 50.

11 minutes ago, antigallican said:

It will have autofocus but I would put money on it in every other way your 50mm Summicron coming out tops, unless you want 45mm FL.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Boojay said:

It will have autofocus but I would put money on it in every other way your 50mm Summicron coming out tops, unless you want 45mm FL.

Or $3,000 spare change to spend on something else... 

I love my 50 APO and my Noctilux and my SL50, but a compact, auto-focus f/2.8 in native L Mount is to me a good example of how right the L Mount Alliance is shaping up to be. It's great to be able to pack out one's lens arsenal without it being a massive financial decision every time. 

Edited by Alistairm

I’m wondering if the 45 could be a good fit with the TL2 + 11-23 as a minimal AF travel kit rather than my 50lux + adapter + EVF.....assuming it will work on the TL/CL

I was amazed to see that the 35/1.2 has 17 elements in 12 groups. This is much more like the Zeiss philosophy than Leica, whose nearest equivalent the 35/1.4 M FLE has just 9 elements in 5 groups. No wonder it is the size of a bazooka and weighs 1.1kg.

The other feature on the new lenses that I find a considerable disappointment and it might even be a deal breaker for me, is on the 14-24 wide angle zoom. Because of the design of the barrel and the bulbous front element, fitting of front filters is not possible. For wide angle use for landscapes, I would very often mount a polariser and/or a stopper and/or a graduated ND or graduated coloured filter as well, all in Cokin P or Lee 100 holders. I know that Sigma have made provision for a rear sheet type filter but that is not even half an answer. 

Wilson

Ditto ....... for me no filters means no use. 

The beauty of the 3 Leica zooms is they all take 82mm based filter holders making everything interchangeable.