Will the long wait for the S3 bring anything new?

peterv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the current S configuration is a dead end.  But just hypothetically, if any new lenses emerged, I'd like to see a reworked zoom with better optics and OIS like the longer SL zooms, even if the focal length range were contracted for size/weight.  Even better, 3 good zooms like the SL system, but more like 24-35, 35-75 (like the XCD line) and 75-150. But it won't happen.

Jeff

12 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I think the current S configuration is a dead end.

That's what they said about the M a while ago 🙂

Maybe Leica can create a niche for themselves, given the way things are going in the market, Leica might very well become the last man standing in DSLR-Land.

If they ever come out with a mirrorless Leica Pro Format in the future, we could still use our glass through the adapter. Look at the new Sigma, camera concepts will come and go but there's a long future for our S lenses still ahead of us, I think. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, peterv said:

If they ever come out with a mirrorless Leica Pro Format in the future, we could still use our glass through the adapter.

And a whole new line of native lenses.  Good luck.  But I never say never with Leica, for good or bad.  The R was a different story, and a long time until the SL arrived for an adapted solution. I’ll be pleased if you’re proven right, though; love that beautiful S OVF, and not a fan of EVF (despite some clear advantages).

Jeff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While the optics are marvelous, the key delaying factor in my opinion is refining the AF. Now that the S3 has higher ISO capabilities, the low light situation arises and entices but causes problems with the prior so-so AF. That is the issue now.

The larger sensor, the improved MAESTRO and the increased dynamic range are eagerly anticipated.

Albert

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, albertknappmd said:

While the optics are marvelous, the key delaying factor in my opinion is refining the AF. Now that the S3 has higher ISO capabilities, the low light situation arises and entices but causes problems with the prior so-so AF. That is the issue now.

The larger sensor, the improved MAESTRO and the increased dynamic range are eagerly anticipated.

Albert

Nice photo! Yes, the AF is an issue on the S, particularly for precise focussing, both at close, mid and far distance. It is also a problem to focus the S (006 in my case) in (near) darkness. I foresee that S3, with improved DR, can be an excellent low-light body, given that precise focussing is possible. I am thinking of star/Milky Way photography that requires focus at infinity (and infinity is certainly not where the lenses put infinity, so focus is needed).

Regarding improved MAESTRO: My understanding is that S3 will borrow the processor from 007?

If true, that is a bit disappointing as technology has improved since 2015...

Albert

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by albertknappmd
  • Like 6

I reported and actively discussed Leica AF issue start from s2 age here in many Leica S thread but it never get decent attention from S users, some even feel unhappy to mention about it.

Llyod reported the issues long time ago and get trashed by S users at the time S is still in its prime.  Well, OK!

No cry, no milk. So now, after all these years, we finally come back to revisit this issue in S community which should be resolved 7 years ago. Market opportunity seems long passed.  

I hope Leica can sort this out. Even I personally use manual focus most of time, so it is not that critical for me to make S003 decision, but the point is if AF is not reliable, it is useless IMHO and I am paying a useless feature. 

1 hour ago, helged said:

The link confirms that the S3 uses the same maestro II processor as in 007. 

That’s what I said, and why I linked, with caveat that remark is 10 months old.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

1 hour ago, albertknappmd said:

If true, that is a bit disappointing as technology has improved since 2015...

Yes, and this is one of the reasons why some of us have surmised that Leica is providing an update to entice current users with the almighty MP, but not to seriously attract new users (at least not at current prices) or to signal a real commitment to the current OVF platform.  But maybe there’s a surprise.

Jeff

I have just returned from vacation where I shot with my recently purchased SL and the 16-35 and 70 APO lenses. I have to say that I am very impressed with the image quality, and the long wait for the S3 may just bring a realisation that in fact, I don't need one (especially if it costs what it has been rumoured to cost). It may well happen that I stick with the S007 for the photoshoots and the SL for travel and everything else. I am still surprised though, why we haven't seen any teasers, sample images, advertising regarding the S3, ten months after the announcement. As if Leica did no want us to keep excited about the camera - I feel like being told "we don't really want to make and sell the S3, so go buy something else and forget we ever announced it". Well, I would happily forget if it were not for the seven S lenses sitting in my cabinet which I can't sell so easily. So Leica, take whatever time is needed  (including at least a month-long company-wide Summer holiday on the Baltic coast for the entire staff, to get everyone properly refreshed and focused on the task) to meticulously and precisely handcraft the unique S3 product which you surely will not launch until it is faultless (meaning that if I buy it, I will not have to send it to Wetzlar for a sensor replacement within a month like my S2, and will not need custom firmware fixes to address horizontal lines across my images like with my S007). Am I the only one who is losing interest in the S3?

• Like 6

Recycling Maestro ii means the S3 will most likely not be viable for video, just like the S007 and (to a lesser extent) SL, closing it off from an increasing user base accustomed to spending and eager for the “Leica look,” whatever that means.

It also nullifies one of the advantages of the 3:2 S sensor over the 4:3 Sony sensor on the GFX100.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan.y said:

Recycling Maestro ii means the S3 will most likely not be viable for video, just like the S007 and (to a lesser extent) SL, closing it off from an increasing user base accustomed to spending and eager for the “Leica look,” whatever that means.

It also nullifies one of the advantages of the 3:2 S sensor over the 4:3 Sony sensor on the GFX100.

Maybe they figured out that S video was never a selling point of S. There is no IBIS in S  

If you see how fast video section of industry moving, even more so than still, it seems to make sense to drop it now. 

I wouldn’t expect SL2 will do much better in video as well without IBIS. 

1 hour ago, ZHNL said:

Maybe they figured out that S video was never a selling point of S. There is no IBIS in S  

If you see how fast video section of industry moving, even more so than still, it seems to make sense to drop it now. 

I wouldn’t expect SL2 will do much better in video as well without IBIS. 

When the S 007 launched, they did tout its 4K capabilities and showed photos of it rigged up for videography. But the marketing was strange--they made a bizarre, poorly graded HD video about someone shooting a bunch of lethargic fashion models with an S. I think Leica was very confused. So perhaps they did decide just to drop video ultimately.

I personally wouldn't buy an S just to shoot videos, but for photographers who like to do a bit of video on the side (on a tripod) it'd be nice to have. But dedicated videographers are often willing to put up with all sorts of inconveniences to get the right image quality. Rigged up or on a gimbal I don't think the S3's lack of IBIS would matter that much.

I just think Leica is making a mistake giving up this enormous potential market. All it takes is for one of the prominent video bloggers to "discover" the severely underpriced S lenses as budget Thalias (and the S as a budget large format digital cinema camera). They're frequently down to under $2000 per lens now.

Edited by alan.y
  • Like 1