Panasonic 50 S pro vs Leica 50 SL

m9photo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Am 10.7.2019 um 18:15 schrieb m9photo:

Anyone has done comparison between the 2? Built wise, they are both almost identical. 

Blind test. Wich picture was taken with the Lumix S Pro 50/1.4 and which with the 50 Summulix-SL?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And now the crops.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yeah. The top one has a bit more colour saturation.

But this is a bit of an odd photo. In reality you’d use the 50mm f1.4 at maximum aperture for a subject that is close, to destroy the background. This set sort of does that but the mid / background is dominant, as the foreground point of focus is just a bit too small and far away. 

In the real world, 80-20 rule rules.

For the enthusiast pay 80% more in price for 20% more performance.

For the common man and culculative one, only willing to pay 20% more in price to expect 80% performance,....should stay out of Leica products as this logic does not apply.

Edited by sillbeers15
  • Like 2

vor 31 Minuten schrieb helged:

Based on the circularity of the oof highlights, as well as slightly stronger oof, the top is SL-Lux. I think... 

Here is a translation on the bokeh assessment of the Les Numériques review linked above:

“Bokeh

Positioned by Panasonic as a lens dedicated to portraiture, [...] we were waiting for the turn of Lumix S Pro 50mm F1.4. We discovered some surprise in the famous bokeh. Indeed, Panasonic has chosen to take a distinct approach that will certainly not please everyone. For our part, we welcome the initiative to think outside the box by distinguishing itself from a path marked by classicism.

Indeed, the background blur is unique. The boundaries between contrasting areas or contours are split by visually creating a kind of vibration. The effect was confirmed to us by the engineers who told us that this was indeed one of the elements that went into the equation of the creation of this bokeh which can be described as atypical. Panasonic representatives also told us that this corollary was also only visible in the laboratory and not in real-life shooting conditions. This is not the case...

If our hand photographed in front of our stage is an extreme example to illustrate our point, we must recreate the presence of this phenomenon in real life — that is, when we do not try to generate it. That said, the "vibration" remains clearly visible at full size and on specific areas — such as on the contour of a shoulder. With a loaded background like that of branches and leaves, the effect is also observable there. The effect on the bokeh is equally visible, resulting in an original background blur. The result has divided our testers, divided between followers of a very diffuse classical rendering and those who appreciate the singularity thus generated.”

Helge, what you describe as “the circularity of the oof highlights” is the ‘famous vibrating bokeh” of this Panasonic lens, not an attempt by Leica to emulate the 50 Noctilux in an f1.4 SL lens. 😁

• Haha 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Mr.Q:

Both are reference lenses, but fall short of the Otus 55.

I agree in terms of blur behind and in front of the focus point.  The Otus on its native mount has the creamiest and to my eyes the most pleasing blur of the three.  It’s also the sharpest of the three but the difference is immaterial in the center and if one applies the LR lens profile to the Otus, it’s also not significantly sharper than the 50 Summulix-SL in the corners. The Lumix is sharper than the Leica lens in the center and the Leica lens is sharper in the corners. But who cares, they are all close.

However, while the Otus is optimized for sharpness (and the Lumix lens for sharpness in the center), the Leica lens is optimized for depth rendering.  See in the link the picture of the woman kneeling and praying (Otus not on its native mount): https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-GGCRrg/ Notice how the contrast roll-off after the focus point is totally different between the two lenses.  The Otus shows a sharp object against a flat background and the 50 Summilux-SL picture has depth.  Both may work in different situations.  Personally, I prefer if a picture doesn’t look flat because an equal amount of blur is applied to anything in the background.  The iPhone 11 does that so well.  It’s the new Otus. 😁

I agree that it's immaterial and splitting hairs, but technically the Otus is the still the gold standard for those looking for that last 1%.

I don't see the depth rendering that you speak of. To me the 55mm lens in your link looks to have more 'depth' and seperation (as it should being 5mm longer) but honestly rendering is so subjective I'd rather not get into that discussion.

vor 45 Minuten schrieb Mr.Q:

I agree that it's immaterial and splitting hairs, but technically the Otus is the still the gold standard for those looking for that last 1%.

I don't see the depth rendering that you speak of. To me the 55mm lens in your link looks to have more 'depth' and seperation (as it should being 5mm longer) but honestly rendering is so subjective I'd rather not get into that discussion.

Okay, I see what you mean. Yes, you are right if one understands "depth" to mean "3D Pop" in Zeiss terms. Zeiss "3D Pop" is a super sharp object against a super equally blurred background. The Otus epitomizes this like no other Zeiss lens does and if put to right use, this effect can work. What I mean by "depth rendering" is that the whole picture has a three dimensional look to it, not one sharp object that pops against an equally creamy background. 

To illustrate, one example from the link above which to my eyes strikes me as so different in terms of contrast roll-off after the focus point.

Otus 55

50 Summilux-SL

And now the crops. Less compressed crops here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-GGCRrg/

Otus 55 - Zeiss 3D Pop of a sharp object in the foreground, the background equally blurred regardless of distance from the point of focus.

50 Summilux-SL - after an initial fast contrast roll-off, a gradual one to resolve more details closer to the point of focus and fewer farther away.

Edited by Chaemono

I forgot to mention, love the minimalist design of the 50 Summilux-SL. That alone is worth a couple of thousand of bucks. Add the whole 'depth rendering' thing and the 'vibrating bokeh' thing and the Leica lens comes virtually for free. 😁

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1