NEW: Leica V-Lux 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today Leica Camera launches the new  Leica V-Lux 5.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica V-Lux 5 at a glance
  • 20MP CMOS Sensor
  • Elmarit 24-400mm f/2.8-4 ASPH Lens
  • Aperture range f/2.8-11
  • 2.36 MP OLED EVF
  • 0.74x magnification
  • 3" articulating touchscreen, 1.24 million pixels
  • Touch Autofocus
  • 4k Video (24, 25, 30fps)
  • 4k Photo & Post Focus Modes
  • Battery life approx. 440 image

Leica V-Lux 5 Product Images

Technical Specifications Leica V-Lux 5

Camera name Leica V-LUX 5
Camera - effective pixels 20.1 megapixels
Image sensor 1″ MOS sensor, primary colour filter
Lens 16x optical zoom
Zoom range 9.1 mm to 146 mm
(equivalent to 25 to 400 mm in 35 mm film format)
Aperture range f/2.8 to f/11 (extreme wide-angle) - f/4 to f/11 (extreme telephoto)
Image stabilisation Optical
Focusing range AF: 30 cm (0.98 feet) (extreme wide-angle)/1 m (3.3 feet) (telephoto) to infinity
AF Macro/MF/Snapshot Modes/Video: 3 cm (0.098 feet) (extreme wide-angle)/1 m (3.3 feet) (extreme telephoto) to infinity
Shutter system Electronic shutter + mechanical shutter
Shutter speed Stills (with mechanical shutter): B (Bulb) (max. approx. 120 s), 60 - 1/4000 s
Stills (with electronic shutter): 1 - 1/16000 s
Video: 1/25 - 1/16000 s
1/2 - 1/16000 s (When [Exposure Mode] is set to [M] in Creative Video Mode and [MF] is selected)
Exposure Programme AE (P)/aperture priority AE (A)/shutter speed priority AE (S)/manual exposure setting (M)
Exposure compensation (1/3 EV steps, -5 EV to +5 EV)
Metering modes Multiple/centre-weighted/spot
Monitor 3.0″ TFT LCD (3:2) (Approx. 1,240,000 dots; field of view approx. 100%)
Touch screen
Viewfinder 0.39″ OLED Live Viewfinder (4:3) (Approx. 2,360,000 dots; field of view approx.100%)
Flash Built-in pop-up flash
AUTO, AUTO/Red-Eye Reduction, Forced ON, Forced ON/Red-Eye Reduction, Slow Sync., Slow Sync./Red-Eye Reduction, Forced OFF
Microphone Stereo (built-in)
Recording media SD Memory Card/SDHC Memory Card*/SDXC Memory Card*
* UHS-Ι UHS Speed Class 3
Recording file format Still: RAW/JPEG
Video: MP4
Audio compression format AAC (2 ch)
Interfaces Microphone (off-camera): 3.5 mm stereo jack
Remote: 2.5 mm jack
HDMI: Micro HDMI Type D
USB/charge: USB 2.0 (High Speed)/USB 2.0 Micro-B
Wireless IEEE 802.11b/g/n, Wi-Fi compliant WPA™/WPA2™, infrastructure mode
Bluetooth version 4.2

Here is the full press release:

As many different facets as life itself: the Leica V-Lux 5. 

Wetzlar, 10 July 2019. With the Leica V-Lux 5, Leica Camera AG presents one of the most versatile and multifaceted cameras in its product portfolio. A particularly high-performance zoom lens and a newly developed, larger sensor ensure excellent imaging performance. Its bright and clear OLED electronic viewfinder and a fully articulated touchscreen panel on the back make composition easy and efficient. Thanks to fast autofocus and a high continuous-shooting rate the camera reliably captures every detail, while innovative exposure modes like Focus Stacking and Post-focusing enrich its wide range of functions. The addition of modern and ground-breaking connectivity features – in conjunction with the Leica FOTOS App – makes the Leica V-Lux 5 a universal, high-performance camera for all photographic needs.

In combination with the camera’s 20-megapixel, 1-inch sensor, the Leica DC Vario-Elmarit 9.1–146 mm f/2.8–4 ASPH. lens of the V-Lux 5 (equivalent to 25 to 400 mm in 35 mm film format) delivers outstanding imaging performance throughout the entire zoom range, whether shooting with macro, wide-angle, standard or telephoto settings. Thanks to maximum apertures of f/2.8 and f/4 for the respective extreme wide-angle and extreme telephoto settings, maximum sensitivity of ISO 12800 and an integrated optical image stabiliser, the camera is ideally equipped for capturing best, shake-free still pictures and video in low ambient light, even without using a tripod. 

The Leica V-Lux 5 offers optimum tools for composing and assessing subjects: With a resolution of 2.36 megapixels and OLED technology, its newly developed electronic viewfinder brings a higher contrast ratio and improved colour depth – while simultaneously consuming less power. In addition to the EVF, the back of the camera features a fully-articulated 3“ touchscreen panel. This is not only ideal for reliable assessment of images before and after exposure, but also makes it easy to shoot from unusual angles.

To ensure that decisive moments are never missed, the Leica V-Lux 5 takes only around 0.1 seconds to focus sharply on a subject. Even when shooting in fast and dynamic situations, a burst rate of up to 12 fps ensures that photographers always have sufficient exposures from which to choose the best for their needs. Alongside innovative features like Post Focusing and Focus Stacking, the range of options offered by the Leica V-Lux 5 also includes useful functions such as Face Recognition or 4K Burst Mode.
The Leica V-Lux 5 offers a multitude of powerful functions, but not only for photos – it is also the ideal camera for capturing highest quality video footage. The ability to capture true-to-life video in 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels) at frame rates of 24, 25 or 30 frames per second or full-HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) at 60 frames per second offers enormous scope for the realisation of creative ideas in editing and post-processing.

The Leica V-Lux 5 is the first model of the V-Lux line that can be used with the Leica FOTOS App. After establishing a Bluetooth connection between the camera and an iOS or Android smartphone, the app can be used to change settings and remotely control the camera – particularly practical when it’s not within easy reach. Photos and videos can be quickly and easily transferred for post-processing or sharing in social networks at any time. The Leica FOTOS App can also actively export GPS positioning data from the smartphone to the camera. Running out of power on your travels is no longer a problem – the Leica V-Lux 5 can be recharged via USB from all sorts of other devices, e.g. a powerbank.

The Leica V-Lux 5 is on sale from today.

My personal feeling is these re-badged Panasonic cameras along with the added cost for essentially only a little longer warranty diminish the Leica brand.  The rest of the product line is premium but these Panasonic bodies are absolutely NOT PREMIUM.  The EVF in the D-Lux 7 is the same cheap non-OLED EVF that Panasonic has been using for years.  But Leica didn't ask me what I think and I doubt they care now.

I agree. To call a one-inch sensor "larger" may be a true statement, but it gives the impression that this sensor is "large", which it is not.

If you need this camera, buy the Panasonic version.

I recently purchased a D-Lux 7 only to discover that a specific  advertised feature, geotagging over BLE, did not work. When I wrote to Leica documenting the issue there response was they have no intention of making this feature work. When I reminded them in writing that their marketing materials specifically talk about this feature there response was again they do not intend to make it work.  This is my first Leica and as a result of this very poor customer service and my less than positive experience it will most likely be my last.

13 minutes ago, HPNAviator said:

I recently purchased a D-Lux 7 only to discover that a specific  advertised feature, geotagging over BLE, did not work. When I wrote to Leica documenting the issue there response was they have no intention of making this feature work. When I reminded them in writing that their marketing materials specifically talk about this feature there response was again they do not intend to make it work.  This is my first Leica and as a result of this very poor customer service and my less than positive experience it will most likely be my last.

Get used to it. The arrogance of Leica is legendary. Having worked for them in 1970's and 80's as well as their cousin, " Z" in the 90's you learn to work around it. It's in their genes. Look at the recent debacle with VW/diesel disaster. Go back and look at Audi and the unintended acceleration incident. I love German equipment and engineering - the best in the world, bar none; Implementation and customer support, not so much. As the owner of a V lux 2, I find the statements of some Leica owners elitist at a minimum. If it says Leica then it's a Leica.  It did not get to wear the brand without very serious evaluation. As for the rest of the cameras, A good deal of assembly takes place in Germany by a sub contractor ( Jenoptik ). They'll never tell but I've visited the facility many times. Like an image, all is not as it seems on the surface. Although I have many other cameras, Leica and otherwise, my old V lux is perfectly happy being thrown in the back seat of the car or stuffed in luggage and doing what it was intended to do wherever I take it - record images within the parameters I specify. Sometimes a quick little video, a simple snapshot or a careful and detailed programming for a project. To me it is every bit a Leica as an M4. It has Leica glass and is the product of the Leica philosophy. Get over yourselves and make some pictures. Product snobbery is unbecoming and distasteful. It is your skills that make your work memorable. Your Leica is the tool set. 

• Like 5

I have a Dlux5 that I use for scouting locations.  Its small, handy, has nice glass and its just a good little tool. I dont expect it to replace my M9 or big SLR's.  I agree that worrying about brand issues has nothing to do with making images.  These are just tools that we use.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ho-hum, yet another “ Leica “ digital. How many models, including this latest, does that make? This is my gripe with the whole camera industry: every six months some manufacturer is touting their latest whiz bang. In the days of film, announcements came not of new camera developments, but advances in film. When Leica, Canon, Nikon introduced a new camera body it came as a familiar body with only slight improvements. I started with a Kodak Brownie in the very early 50’s. I’ve owned several small digitals, including a Leica. My passion is film.

As a rule I don't weigh in on these product launches, but sometimes I just feel I must.  One owns a Leica for many reasons.  Superb engineering quality, terrific build quality, optics.  Yes, some own a Leica the way they do jewelry, there is an exclusivity factor for some -- I suppose if you own a $15-$20,000 Breguet watch (not to mention the $200,000 Tourbillon model), you can afford a Bentley, and being seen with a Leica is equally important.  Just not for me.  Leica to me is all about quality, but not just build, sure it is the best built out there, and not just optics (sorry Zeiss), but the knowledge that when you hold a Leica, you can depend on getting the shot.  Years ago (1980's) I had the honor to work at E. Leitz USA.  Yes, there were some "iffy" employees, but by and large most were terrific folks dedicated to the greatest products in the world.  Some of today's new products are simply magnificent (the new Leica CL to name one), and some back then were stinkers (the Minox 110s comes to mind).  The problem is that a small company such as Leica is has an incredibly difficult task producing a range of products and providing world class support in a fast changing high-tech environment that exists today.   I'm truly sorry that certain low-demand features aren't up to some folk's expectations, but instead of whining about that, look at the spectacular color rendition, the simply amazing zoom range, the sharpness that you have at your fingertips.  Go take pictures, lots of pictures, look for beauty and the humanity and marvel in our ability to capture and reproduce it.  Never before has this existed to this extent.  Although they're no longer a part of this incredible journey, I bet the Leitz family is very proud of what Leica is doing today.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb HPNAviator:

D-Lux 7 ... geotagging over BLE, did not work. 

With today released App PHOTOS in version 1.3 it works now.

But you always have to start the apps remote control function to use it...

2 hours ago, JohnnySeven said:

I have a Dlux5 that I use for scouting locations.  Its small, handy, has nice glass and its just a good little tool. I dont expect it to replace my M9 or big SLR's.

+1

Titanium version here

Among my cameras have been V-Luxes.  I've had several (including a pre- V-Lux Panasonic, a V-Lux borrowed from Leica when my R8/DMR and 80-200 were delayed coming back to me in time for travel, a V-Lux 4 and a V-Lux 114), and every time the camera got significantly better.

• Like 3

I have a V-Lux 114 and love it. Granted I don’t have much experience in cameras beyond cellphones, but I do enjoy taking photos with it and look forward to seeing what opportunities the new day will bring  

Mine is going to be 5 months old tomorrow to be exact, and my only regret if any, is that I didn’t wait for the V-Lux 5

Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by Charlyee
Corrected typo/grammar
  • Like 2

For me, I don't think it's reason to change from a VLux 114, which is a great camera.  The VLux5 will be the same, I'm sure. I've been using a Typ114 for years and like many here, I have quite a few Leicas to choose from, from compacts, to digital and film Ms, through to the SL system.

The VLux Typ114 is my go-to camera for general holiday travel. My friend, who owns a Leica dealership here in London swears by his too and it's often his tool of choice. I think it's brilliant, and I don't give a fig that it's rebadged Panasonic.  The cynical are quick to point that out, but the compacts such as the VLux, DLux7 and CLux allow Leica to offer products at the lower end of a broad price range.

I spent today walking miles across London on a hot day, and for some reason took my SL and 24-90.  My neck is feeling it now. That wouldn't have been the case with the svelte little VLux.....

Edited by jcraf
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 2:25 PM, Charlyee said:

I have a V-Lux 114 and love it. Granted I don’t have much experience in cameras beyond cellphones, but I do enjoy taking photos with it and look forward to seeing what opportunities the new day will bring  

Mine is going to be 5 months old tomorrow to be exact, and my only regret if any, is that I didn’t wait for the V-Lux 5

Just my 2 cents. 

Charlyee,

If you check the specs of the 114 vs the new 5 you will not find enough difference to make you have regrets. Give it about 4 or 5 years and another new model will come out.

I admit the 114 was an improvement over the 4 but I just don't see it with this new 5. 

Edited by North / Northwest
  • Like 1