Iceland and Greenland for 2 weeks at the end of August

vincecharus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will visit Iceland and Greenland during the last 2 weeks of August this year.  I plan to take the following gear:

- Leica SL body

- Leica 24-90/2.8-4 zoom

- Leica 90-280/2.8-4 zoom (for wildlife and compressed landscapes)

- L/M conversion mount

- Voigtlander VM 15/4.5 iii

- circular polarizer filter (for the zooms)

- breakthrough photography X4 ND 10x circular filter (for the zooms and the VM ultrawide)

- Gitzo GT2541 tripod

- Arca Swiss Z1 monoball

- DJI Mavic Air drone camera

Due to concerns about weight, obviously I can't take too much gear with me.

Would anyone recommend that I take

- a 2nd body (such as Leica CL)?

- Other lenses (such as Summilux 24/1.4 for some night or astro- photography, even though the sky is not very dark in August)?

- Other filters (such as square filters)?

- Any other essential gear?

It would be great if I could have your views. Thanks!

Edited by vincecharus

Hi vincecharus - great trip ahead congrats! 

Everyone has different needs of course - so the following is just a few of someone who was on travel with the same SL equipment as you will be. 

For my next trip - through China with hand luggage (!) I’m already struggling a lot what I really need. 

First - honestly I would never go on a trip like that without a second body. I’d rather buy a new or used one for a trip which I probably won’t do twice. I could highly recommend a Lumix S1 or better S1R for that purpose. 

Lenses - and this may sound strange for you now:

- instead of the heavy SL-Zooms I will only have the Cron SL 90 with me. 

- for high resolution landscapes I will add my APO-Cron M 50

- my wide angle equipment will be twofold: a Q2 and a Lux-M 21 - the latter one for the same reason you consider taking it. 

In terms of filters I reduced everything sharply leaving all my square filters at home by using step-up rings. So all filters will be in 82mm as follows:

- Rollei dark polariser - a very special piece with a high ND factor,

- normal polarizer

- Rollei night / starlight filter 

thats it so far. 

I hope to get through every control with that stuff. 

Have a good trip!

lik

• Thanks 1

Hi Iik

Thanks very much for your sharing!

Iceland and Greenland have unpredictable weather, so weather sealing is a must. I wouldn’t overly rely on my M lenses in such an environment.

S1R sounds great in reviews, but it’s a very heavy camera (about 1kg vs 0.7kg for the SL). It would probably take me ages to learn its control menu. As my gear is already overweight, I would probably give it a pass.

I agree with you that square filters might be too cumbersome.

I agree with you that a taking a second camera would be very advisable. I’m thinking about a practical choice. (If I ask my dear wife to carry the CL, I would then have a backup without having to carry it myself.)

I also agree with you that a large aperture super wide might be useful.

Hope you enjoy your Chinese trip!

Vincent

vor 54 Minuten schrieb vincecharus:

... I wouldn’t overly rely on my M lenses in such an environment.

S1R sounds great in reviews, but it’s a very heavy camera (about 1kg vs 0.7kg for the SL). It would probably take me ages to learn its control menu. As my gear is already overweight, I would probably give it a pass.

I absolutely agree! I just sold my SL in order to wait for a new hopefully high res SL2. Since my trip is very soon, I bought the S1R instead but maybe I sell it later depending on what kind of SL Leica will release. And yes – menu is awful and it's a heavy piece – I'll see how I feel with it. 

The use of the M-lens is also risky in rainy subtropic China but – yes – I'll take it.

I also think the CL is a very good choice.

I wanted to take the opportunity of using two 47MP-cameras and so I will try out the crop capacities of the S1R combined with the Q2, which became my daily companion. I really like it very much. 

Best regards!

Edited by lik
  • Thanks 1

Just hiked up and down mountains for a week with the S1R, SL 24-90, 16-35, 90-280, arca swiss P0, Voigt 12, Kase filter holders x2 and half a dozen grads/ND's, remote release, plus and CL+18-56 on a peak design clip on a Shimoda bag...... and  a biggish RRS TVC-3X tripod. I also took a voigt 10, the TL wide zoom and my SL 75/2, but they never left the suitcase. 

It's a fair old load but I ended up using everything in fairly equal measure. The CL as an instantly available camera was invaluable. The Shimoda bag is miles more comfortable than anything else I've ever used. I'm the wrong side of 60 and managed fine..... with a waterproof and down jacket packed as well that made 11kg on my back and I carried the tripod. 

For these sort of 'once in a lifetime' trips I think you need to bite the bullet and take anything you think you might need and just leave the odd thing behind on the day if you are sure you won't need it.

I have to say the S1R with IBIS (particularly with the big zoom) and the extra pixels was well worth the extra few hundred grams.

I'm sure you will have a great time. 

• Thanks 1

I live in Iceland and use unsealed cameras all the time. Obviously if it is raining hard enough to be a problem, do not use them. But how many pictures do you really need to take in driving rain? If you do, you still have your SL gear. The weather is still rather calm in August. If you were coming between October and March, it might be another story... As for night photos...I do not imagine you will really need it unless you plan on photographing after midnight. Sunset is around 9pm at that time of year, but it takes a long time to get dark...maybe another hour, and you will still be able to sense light in the sky the whole night unless it is cloudy. If you have a tripod and can do reasonably long exposures, you are not going to need a very fast lens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is extremely helpful, as I'm going to Iceland in mid-August. I am intending on taking a very similar kit, though instead of the big 90-280, I'm taking the smaller 16-35. I'm also planning on taking an M10 with the 50 APO and 28 Summicron.

I'd considered taking the Monochrom, but think my second camera should be the M10, for more flexibility.

All this carried in a Peak 30L Everyday bag. It's possible I'll miss having that 90-280, but I am certain I'll want the 16-35 and I just can't see carrying all three, even through an airport!

I'm also using the Wine Country Camera filter kit, which I find practical and ingenious, with the polarizer built into the filter holder.  Can't wait to go...

Good luck on the Greenland portion of your journey!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johnbuckley said:

This is extremely helpful, as I'm going to Iceland in mid-August. I am intending on taking a very similar kit, though instead of the big 90-280, I'm taking the smaller 16-35. I'm also planning on taking an M10 with the 50 APO and 28 Summicron.

I'd considered taking the Monochrom, but think my second camera should be the M10, for more flexibility.

All this carried in a Peak 30L Everyday bag. It's possible I'll miss having that 90-280, but I am certain I'll want the 16-35 and I just can't see carrying all three, even through an airport!

I'm also using the Wine Country Camera filter kit, which I find practical and ingenious, with the polarizer built into the filter holder.  Can't wait to go...

Good luck on the Greenland portion of your journey!

For only 1700 bucks, you could pick up the smaller (and constant length) Lumix 70-200 Pro L mount lens, certified by Leica.  Weather sealed with OIS.  And about half the weight of the long SL zoom.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I was in Iceland and Lofoten in the beginning of March this year. It rained, poured in fact, every single day. And the winds were ferocious.

I had my SL, 16-35 zoom, 90-280 zoom, summicron-SL 75. The 16-35 zoom stayed on the SL for 95% of time. The remaining 5% it was the 90-280. The weather sealing proved fantastic, I drenched the gear in rain every single day, not a single issue. 

I had the CL with me as backup and it was wife’s camera too and it didn’t get much use because of bad weather. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, thighslapper said:

I have to say the S1R with IBIS (particularly with the big zoom) and the extra pixels was well worth the extra few hundred grams.

I usually attach the Arca-Swiss L-plate to the body for ease of tripod mounting.  When attached to the S1R, this set up might become too heavy for my daily use.

Edited by vincecharus

10 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

... As for night photos...I do not imagine you will really need it unless you plan on photographing after midnight. Sunset is around 9pm at that time of year, but it takes a long time to get dark...maybe another hour, and you will still be able to sense light in the sky the whole night unless it is cloudy. If you have a tripod and can do reasonably long exposures, you are not going to need a very fast lens. 

Thanks for the tip! In that case, I won't take the 24 Summilux.

8 hours ago, johnbuckley said:

instead of the big 90-280, I'm taking the smaller 16-35

I also have the dilemma between the 16-35 and the 90-280. I am inclined to take the 90-280 because I'm interested in compressed landscapes and wildlife. As for ultrawide, the VM 15/4.5 iii is very light, of reasonable optical quality, and takes filters, enabling me still to take wide landscapes even if I choose the long zoom. Hence, weight is the limiting factor and we all live with compromises.

I also own the Peak Everyday 30L, but am wondering whether the Shimoda 30L might be a better bag.

6 hours ago, meerec said:

I had my SL, 16-35 zoom, 90-280 zoom, summicron-SL 75. The 16-35 zoom stayed on the SL for 95% of time. The remaining 5% it was the 90-280. The weather sealing proved fantastic, I drenched the gear in rain every single day, not a single issue. 

I had the CL with me as backup and it was wife’s camera too and it didn’t get much use because of bad weather. 

I fully agree that ultrawide shots will be very important. That's why I will take the small VM 15/4.5 iii. Obviously, it's nowhere near as good as the 16-35 but it's still of an acceptable quality. In any event, I will still have wide angle from 24mm onwards.

Let's hope the weather will be better during my visit so that I might put the CL to better use.

1 hour ago, vincecharus said:

I also have the dilemma between the 16-35 and the 90-280. I am inclined to take the 90-280 because I'm interested in compressed landscapes and wildlife. As for ultrawide, the VM 15/4.5 iii is very light, of reasonable optical quality, and takes filters, enabling me still to take wide landscapes even if I choose the long zoom. Hence, weight is the limiting factor and we all live with compromises.

As I suggested to John, the Lumix S70-200 Pro zoom (Leica certified and L mount) might be a lighter and smaller alternative to the SL 90-280 (2.2 lb vs 4.1lb) Still weather sealed with OIS.

Jeff

7 hours ago, Jeff S said:

As I suggested to John, the Lumix S70-200 Pro zoom (Leica certified and L mount) might be a lighter and smaller alternative to the SL 90-280 (2.2 lb vs 4.1lb) Still weather sealed with OIS.

Jeff

Jeff- the problem is, I already own the 90-280. 🙂 But, the good news, my wife and I are going with the Leica Store Miami, and I think whichever lens I don't bring, I may be able to borrow for use when needed.