which Leica??

andreasantoro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody, i need some suggestion about which camera give to my wife.

She appreciate to photography 1 years ago, she has a canon eos 80.

I want give her a new better camera, and more compact to take with her when we leave.

Someone suggest del Q series, but i'm puzzled about the fix photo lens, and i'havens understand if the camera is only automatic or also manual.

Thank's!

Edited by andreasantoro

Wait! 

Does your wife want a different camera? Presumably she chose the Canon for a reason? If she's only had it for a year I would guess that she's still learning to use it. 

You might be better off buying her a new lens (if she only has the kit lens the camera came with). Or pay for a holiday so you can travel somewhere new and she can take lots of photos of interesting stuff. 

I would at least ask her before you spend a lot of money on something she doesn't need and may not want. 

Its a lovely idea for a present, but most beginners (1 year is still very much a beginner) will want to explore a lot of different types of photography and a lot of different types of lenses for many years before they settle into what really suits them long term.

An interchangeable lens camera system is a much better place to do that than a fixed lens camera like a Q.  Its very easy to get bored of camera gear, or feel restricted and limited by camera gear early on (well, even later on to be honest, but more so in the beginning when you want to try everything).

I'm fairly sure I'll own my Q for life now, but if I'd have had it a year into my photography hobby I would probably have sold it by now to try super wide and super long lenses.

Also, to be honest, Canon a better place to try things out than Leica.  She can see if she likes a fast 50mm f1.8 normal lens on the Canon system for a 100 EUR as where that experience will cost her a couple of thousand on a Leica (assuming we're buying new).

As a counter to all of the above though, I will say though that women tend to be less gear focused than men and it might be she is happy to get on with the process of making beautiful images with a fixed lens camera and not ever feel the need to try loads of different toys and gadgets.  Something like a Q might suit her just fine.  I would get her to research it and think about it.

Edited by ralphh

• 1 month later...