throwing plustek 8200i against a wall

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had this scanner for years and I've dealt with this problem forever, but I've finally snapped. Why is the fucking frame holder so flimsy? There is too much room on the 35mm frame holder to keep the strip straight. I try to just have the whole strip pushed against the bottom tabs, but even then the strip becomes askew totally fucking up the composition when scanning. Anyone have a solution to this before I lose my shit and go office space on this thing? I emailed Plustek hoping the frame holder might just be faulty rather than a design flaw but haven't received a response. Doesn't look to be an aftermarket holder either. I don't have time to spend an hour trying to get a frame straight. No matter how meticulous I am this just doesn't work out. UGHHHHH

• Like 2

Ok, because that’s how you’re free to move the film to the right position. I agree that the holders aren’t very pleasant to work with but I find the frames too small too, I’ve always preferred 25x37mm but the Minolta Dimage was the only one who did that right (in my price-segment). I can only support your mail to Plustek. For me, they can make it a little better and a little more expensive; it’s a long way before you hit the Imacon in the scanner market. 

Edited by otto.f

I have the 7200. I know what you mean, but I have no solution.  Especially when the filmstrips are a little older and have a certain hardened curvature. I only scan framed slides with the part. Film strips only in an emergency, if I absolutely need a digital picture of it. I think a possibility would be such an attachment lens for scanning via camera. But I haven't tried it yet.

Edited by greybear

Hmm. Sounds like maybe the film holders were eventually upgraded? Hopefully I can get a replacement and see for myself. Otto seems to have the same issue but I am willing to bet mine is worse. This is bang your head against the wall bad. I could buy a replacement from BH but will be so pissed if I get it and it's the same thing. 

I am using the same scanner and film holder for my 35 mm frames. The Plustek film holder is ideal in case the film plane itself is flat - for example with most of the Ilford films which are thinner and therefore easier (to dry) and scan than Kodak or Fuji films. I had the described issue with some Kodak and Fuji films which were curved after drying. the holder only snaps at the end of the holder which leaves quite a leverage of play in the middle especially if the film is curved (and I was too lazy to have the film first flattened by compressing it between books etc). From my experience it is still okay to scan since the holder gets straightened out when it is inserted into the scanner unit. I got very sharp photos this way. 

The main complaint I have with this film holder is that the frame dividers sometimes do not perfectly match the distance between frames depending on which 35 mm camera was used. For example is the spacing between frames a bit different on my M3 compared to my M6 camera. 

4 hours ago, Martin B said:

The main complaint I have with this film holder is that the frame dividers sometimes do not perfectly match the distance between frames depending on which 35 mm camera was used. For example is the spacing between frames a bit different on my M3 compared to my M6 camera. 

Yes that’s true and the differences between M’s and R’s are even bigger in that respect. But you can’t blame the holder for that, unless they make 27x35 frames; that would reduce that risk

• Like 1

Here’s what they sent me:

and here’s a video of what I deal with. This is the best I can get it after adjusting 5 times. Am I asking too much to have the orientation shot as is?

plustek bailed on sending me a new one so I had to order 2 from BH for only 20 bucks but they fucked up and shipping is 2 weeks now...

that photo is garbage so let me quickly redeem myself.... this one also had to be cropped kinda fucked up but I guess it doesn’t matter?

• 3 weeks later...

Is that all you are being troubled with?

I scan almost a whole film in two hours. I load the film strip and it can move in the holder just like yours.
Then I tip it vertically on the table so the film moves either completely way up or down.
With your fingers you can do a last repositioning, shouldn't take more that 30 seconds.
If needed I tilt the selection frame, often my negatives need some tilting because at exposure I didn't keep the camera perfectly horizontal.

Perhaps you are aiming for too much perfection. Greetings from Holland.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5