pixeljohn22

Macro Ideas For CL With 18-56

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. I'm interested in doing some macro work. At this point I do not want to purchase a dedicated Leica macro lens. Looking through the macro photo posts there are a handful of options that people have used with the 18-56. For those that have used some of these I would appreciate hearing about your experiences and pros/cons. Thanks in advance.

Elpro 2 works well and can be used with numerous M lenses with included adapter rings - nothing works as well as the 60mm macro fyi

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pixeljohn22 said:

Thanks. Can I use with the 18-56?

Yes, although it will require a 52-55mm step-up ring...52mm lens to 55mm Elpro2.

Don't expect high magnification from it, although the IQ is excellent. From experience I have found that the IQ from the 18-56mm is of such high quality that images can be 'pulled' up to 1:1 in PP without only problem, thus rendering my Elpro2 obsolete. Give it a try you'll be amazed.

The Elpro52 is a newer, different filter to the Elpro2, which today, you'd probably only find 'used'...eBay?

Take a look here......

Edited by Dave in Wales

I have always been a believer in macro (micro) lenses. I made a living photographing micro surgical equipment using 35mm and 4x5. Macro lenses definitely made a difference. Of course adding a Leica build piece of equipment skews my theory a bit. But for the 300 british pounds you can get a Canon FD macro and an adapter (like the Canon because you are using fstops on the lens). The lens to choose is what you want your working distance to be, static subjects it doesn't matter much, but live subject, live subjects insects etc you may want a little distance, then look at a 100mm or even 200mm macro. A lot of my work was copy work, paintings drawings and a 50mm was fine, macro because of flat field. In clinical eye photography I used a 100mm macro, for surgical photography a 200mm. all were Nikon all excellent lenses. Working on my own I used Canon FD with a similar set up.

Just another perspective.

Tom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

another cheap and great alternative (if you have the m-l adapter).  I bought a cheap manual focus micro-nikkor 55mm with its extension tube....(£70 all up on eBay)  greater than 1:1 results and very good value...