Sign in to follow this  
Dave in Wales

CL...To half-case or not.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm smitten by my CL, took 60 years to get one, as soon as I got it I stuck it in a half-case. But I want to use it 'nude' in all it's glory and appreciate it for what it is.

Question....If I remove the case will it suffer from dings and scratches from wedding rings and the like?

I tend to be anal about the condition of my gear, as I type I'm wearing a watch that's 14 years old and is 'as new'

BTW....I 'do' use my gear, I just treat it with kid gloves.

TIA

Although I have half cases, I never seem to use them, and I don't get scratches on the bodies or lenses. I am incredibly careful though! 

I have had mine for almost a year now. I don't use the half case. There is no sign of wear or tear. Typically, it is stored in a dedicated camera bag. When I am using it, it hangs on the factory camera strap along my side or sits on what ever surface I can place it. I definitely do not throw it around. Like you, I like taking care of my things. 

To me the half case decision is less about protecting the body of the camera and more about the size. I find I have a much better grip with a half case, whereas my wife who uses the camera once in a while finds the camera with the half case too large for her hands so she uses it without the case. 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Dave in Wales:

I'm smitten by my CL, took 60 years to get one, as soon as I got it I stuck it in a half-case. But I want to use it 'nude' in all it's glory and appreciate it for what it is.

Question....If I remove the case will it suffer from dings and scratches from wedding rings and the like?

I tend to be anal about the condition of my gear, as I type I'm wearing a watch that's 14 years old and is 'as new'

BTW....I 'do' use my gear, I just treat it with kid gloves.

TIA

I always use the original Leica halfcase because it is so comfortable to hold, especially with the larger and heavier TL lenses like the 55-135 TL or the Summilux - no handgrip necessary. I simply like the feeling and the smell of the leather.  It keeps getting scratches that otherwise the camera would collect (ordinary handling). So you might end up handling it with kid gloves, too! 😀

I have both the Leica Protector and a Jason Cui half case. The latter is what is usually on the camera—because it's a bit trimmer and lets me stick a tripod adapter on the camera without removing it when I'm in the field. 

Like Graham, I use a half case because it affords me a better grip on the camera. The small CL body and my largish hands sometimes need a little help to get along properly. Note that I don't have a half case on my Leica M-D because its LCD-less back panel affords plenty of grip and space for my thumbs that the other digital Ms and the CL do not. The M-D is completely clean of any dings or nicks.

There's no big secret to it, just take care when you handle your camera and don't bang it into things. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have used the handgrip/Thumbie combination for the last 14 months and have travelled extensively with the camera. I do not see any wear signs at all and the camera is very comfortable to use with all TL lenses/zooms. The only downside for me is having to remove the grip to change batteries and cards - bit of a design miss there by Leica, but still workable.

I had half cases for my Leica Ms and now my CL is protected by the Leica protector. I feel safer with the case, it has a nice grip and battery/sd-card are easily accessible. The only minus is that I have to remove it when I use a tripod.

I have one from Angelo Pelle, very nice! Brown leather. It also protects the screen on the back, thus I have now a Leica CL-D. I don‘t see it as protector, more as support to hold the camera and it looks nice. When you buy it directly from their side you may benefit from a discount as reader of LFI (cheaper as from LFI shop too). 

As a kid I used to see pictures of photojournalists' cameras, and they all had scratches and dings. I used to - and still do - respect trail dust. It shows those cameras were used, not prized for what they are. But I get your point about wanting to keep things "new." I sometimes can be anal about things like that, but even my guitars have signs of age/ wear and tear. I'm kinda proud of it. But I certainly won't be dropping them, smashing them, or lighting them on fire, but a few scratches or aged paint is ok. I'm not looking for resale value, but the CL will eventually lose it's resale value no matter how shiny and new it is, I would think. 

I got the Leica half case in brown leather, gives the camera a nice vintage look. More important, electronic cameras are nowhere as durable to the elements and getting banged around as the film cameras. Plus, most of us will look to swap the CL for something else in the future. Therefore, I view the half case as protection for my investment. Used one on my Q to great effect.