Show us your APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH shots wide open

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By the autumn lake Leica M10 APO-Summicron-M 50mm f2 #milanswolfs Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Hemmingway Style SL with APO-Summicron-M 50mm f2 Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

The Apo 50 is almost my favorite portrait lens in combination with the Mono 1   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

On a recent visit to central eastern France I took this shot through the window of a cafe in Vergisson trying to frame the Solutré rock. M10-p + 50 APO at f/2

3 hours ago, Ecar said:

I think I posted this in another thread before, but here's one at f/2 on the M10. An impressive lens, but I haven't managed to like it as much as I like the ASPH. Perhaps I should improve my composition skills...

I disagree with you-----I like this photo.  Your composition skills really work here. (imho)

5 hours ago, OR120 said:

I disagree with you-----I like this photo.  Your composition skills really work here. (imho)

Thank you very much, although my comment was related to the previous couple of posts and was a bit tongue-in-cheek. It has more to do with the fact that I prefer the rendering of the 50/1.4 ASPH to that of the APO. I actually like this picture too, but I find the OOF a bit underwhelming.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Ecar:

Thank you very much, although my comment was related to the previous couple of posts and was a bit tongue-in-cheek. It has more to do with the fact that I prefer the rendering of the 50/1.4 ASPH to that of the APO. I actually like this picture too, but I find the OOF a bit underwhelming.

I like this photo too! But it is funny, how different we see (or feel) the impression of the different 50 mm lenses. To be honest I am sure I would never be able to recognize the different results of the APO, Nocti- or Summilux with f 2. In this case I am more pragmatic: the APO is small, compact and handy . Perfect for me on travels. The other two of the bunch are too big for me, but of course it is a question of personal preferences.

2 hours ago, benqui said:

I like this photo too! But it is funny, how different we see (or feel) the impression of the different 50 mm lenses. To be honest I am sure I would never be able to recognize the different results of the APO, Nocti- or Summilux with f 2. In this case I am more pragmatic: the APO is small, compact and handy . Perfect for me on travels. The other two of the bunch are too big for me, but of course it is a question of personal preferences.

You are probably right about "seeing" vs "feeling": I can tell these 3 lenses apart at f/2 on the same subject (believe it or not, I tried this once in my kitchen - really...), but it's truly marginal. There is just something about the way the ASPH renders a scene that seems more pleasant to my eyes, despite the fact that the APO is somewhat "crispier". I have a similar impression when comparing the 35/1.4 ASPH to the FLE: the latter seems a bit harsher to me. Anyway, that's splitting hairs and I wouldn't want to hijack this thread by turning it into yet another APO vs ASPH debate. Ultimately, as you keep showing here through your stunning portrait work, it's not the camera or the lens, but what's behind them that matters (edit: well, ok, the subjects in front help a bit too...😁

Edited by Ecar
vor 3 Stunden schrieb Ecar:

You are probably right about "seeing" vs "feeling": I can tell these 3 lenses apart at f/2 on the same subject (believe it or not, I tried this once in my kitchen - really...), but it's truly marginal. There is just something about the way the ASPH renders a scene that seems more pleasant to my eyes, despite the fact that the APO is somewhat "crispier". I have a similar impression when comparing the 35/1.4 ASPH to the FLE: the latter seems a bit harsher to me. Anyway, that's splitting hairs and I wouldn't want to hijack this thread by turning it into yet another APO vs ASPH debate. Ultimately, as you keep showing here through your stunning portrait work, it's not the camera or the lens, but what's behind them that matters (edit: well, ok, the subjects in front help a bit too...😁

Thanks a lot for your kind words. You are absolutely right, it is of course not a discussion of "which is better.....". And especially with Leica, it is the feeling which makes photography very special.

Am 15.7.2019 um 01:12 schrieb indergaard:

I have compared them. At f/2 the APO is sharper - and not just in the details, but also in the separation between the subject and the OOF areas. The APO is punchier. More 3D. The APO is free of chromatic aberrations at f/2. The Lux is not.
The APO also has significantly more vignetting at f/2. The Lux is far creamier. The APO's bokeh isn't smooth at all, contrary to what people tend to say. The Lux bokeh is so much smoother. Even the Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8 lens has far smoother OOF areas at the equivalent aperture (f2 vs v2) than the APO - at all distances.

Your hawk-eyed observations made me take out the Sony Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8. I'll do more but here is just one pair. I'm not sure I agree with the vignetting part, though. I moved the Vignetting slider all the way to +70 on the APO picture here. The Leica lens just concentrates the light in the center which makes the subject in focus stand out more. The Sony picture, even though it's brighter overall, looks kind of flat.

Less compressed JPEGs here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-cJFLQj/

And because I'm a nice guy, here the links to the RAW files. 😁

Sony FE 55/1.8 ARW: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g12932663-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=RIZL8GJlg9emDOZ_6qVV8TzGZLC5Y4dkZZG5sfUSQEw=

APO Summicron-M DNG: https://cc2032.zenfolio.com/img/g346269404-o750076470.dat?dl=2&tk=U9CvF4Zjj63PEp-OWOaIKiz6ive3ciJqkbByh4x5q3c=

On "The APO's bokeh isn't smooth at all, contrary to what people say," it's the planar vs. sonnar bokeh thing. Think Zeiss Loxia 50/2 bokeh. It's always helpful to back up one's claims with pictures otherwise people might think that one is just full of it. 😂

α7R III + Sony Zeiss FE 55/1.8 processed in LR to try to match

M10-P + APO 50 Summicron-M processed in LR to try to match.

There some very nice pictures in this thread. However.

I spent most of my now long photographic life using and loving an early 60s rigid 50mm summicron. Would any of the photos here look any different had they been made with any summicron made since 1955? And if YES, what should I notice.

Just curious as to opinions (or ideally demonstrable facts).

I am now using a V5 – my old rigid was stolen. 

3 hours ago, Michael Hiles said:

I spent most of my now long photographic life using and loving an early 60s rigid 50mm summicron. Would any of the photos here look any different had they been made with any summicron made since 1955? And if YES, what should I notice.

Just curious as to opinions (or ideally demonstrable facts).

Sure, I can see a difference on wide open shots from this thread compared to those I get with a dual range summicron which is identical to the rigid. The APO does not seem to have this loss of resolution and clarity the further you are from the center of the photograph that the old version exhibits. This loss is one more parameter to play with.