Dave in Wales

A 'windfall'.....and nothing to buy :((

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Earlier this week I sold a watch (another passion of mine) with the sole intention of purchasing something to add to my CL, 18-56, 55-135mm and new Elpro 2. My first intention was to get the TL60mm macro, but I just can't bring myself to fork out the £2k'ish they cost when I'm getting truly superb 1:1 'pull-ups' from the 55-135mm and a working distance, end of hood to subject, of 4 ft at the 135mm end. This is a great asset, as one doesn't frighten the wildlife by poking a hood up their nose or whatever.

The next two items for consideration are the TL11-23mm, but they are as rare as hens teeth and I'd only be buying it mainly for the 11mm end.

Next comes the  Voigtlander 10mm + Leica adaptor, both of which come to about £1k total.......his I have to say is getting serious consideration. My only real concern is IQ. The images I'm getting from my TL are the BEST I've ever had in over 60 years at this game.

Can anybody enlighten me as to IQ of the V10mm versus my TL lenses.

Edited by Dave in Wales

Posted (edited)

Why not see if you can Rent Voigtlander 10mm + Leica adaptor, then Buy if you are satisfied with the results.. I would love to see some of your work, can you Post some here...Tx..L

Edited by lykaman

1 hour ago, Dave in Wales said:

Picture tells a thousand words. So look at my earlier post. The first two shot full frame on SL with the Voigtlander 10. I do shoot the same lens on my CL and it is equally good. But I also have the 11-23 ...

8 hours ago, Dave in Wales said:

Earlier this week I sold a watch (another passion of mine) with the sole intention of purchasing something to add to my CL, 18-56, 55-135mm and new Elpro 2. My first intention was to get the TL60mm macro, but I just can't bring myself to fork out the £2k'ish they cost when I'm getting truly superb 1:1 'pull-ups' from the 55-135mm and a working distance, end of hood to subject, of 4 ft at the 135mm end. This is a great asset, as one doesn't frighten the wildlife by poking a hood up their nose or whatever.

The next two items for consideration are the TL11-23mm, but they are as rare as hens teeth and I'd only be buying it mainly for the 11mm end.

Next comes the  Voigtlander 10mm + Leica adaptor, both of which come to about £1k total.......his I have to say is getting serious consideration. My only real concern is IQ. The images I'm getting from my TL are the BEST I've ever had in over 60 years at this game.

"Nothing to buy" is usually a point of joy for me, rather than being a point of sadness or frustration. :D

With respect to the V10, I've posted something like 24 recent photos I've made with it since mine arrived. Can't say enough good about its performance on the CL, both full format and my Square format druthers. I have no TL series lenses so I can't compare to them directly, but comparing its performance to others of my wider M (Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21) and R (Super-Elmar-R 15) lenses, I'd have to say it's right on par. 

8 minutes ago, ramarren said:

"Nothing to buy" is usually a point of joy for me, rather than being a point of sadness or frustration. :D

With respect to the V10, I've posted something like 24 recent photos I've made with it since mine arrived. Can't say enough good about its performance on the CL, both full format and my Square format druthers. I have no TL series lenses so I can't compare to them directly, but comparing its performance to others of my wider M (Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21) and R (Super-Elmar-R 15) lenses, I'd have to say it's right on par. 

Many thanks.

I thought the name was familiar Dave! TZ??? I would do two things: put a deposit down on an 11-23, and spend the rest on a trip to somewhere you’ve not been.

10 hours ago, Dave in Wales said:

I can't help you over lens choice, but as you are enjoying your CL system so much,  have you considered buying a second body to minimize changing lenses on tour?

14 hours ago, pixeljohn22 said:

If you don't mind me asking...how are you using the Elpro 2?

Thanks.

The two shots of the pink flower show the IQ I achieve pulling-up to 1:1 from SOOC JPG's , and I wasn't even trying. I'm getting even better IQ by using a monopod.

The fantastic IQ of these two lenses and the ability to pull-up to 1:1 renders the Expo 2 somewhat sadly, redundant.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Le Chef said:

I thought the name was familiar Dave! TZ??? I would do two things: put a deposit down on an 11-23, and spend the rest on a trip to somewhere you’ve not been.

Now there's a thought, only problem is....I'm so impatient. :)

From what I can make out dealers don't have a clue when there getting any either.

Dave...TZ.

Edited by Dave in Wales

The question to me would be what do you miss? what do you like to shoot?

For my part I would add a 23 if you need something compact, flexible for low light, or the 35/1.4 if you want a long normal for short distance portraits. My choice for UWA is the 11-23, it is bigger than the 10mm but for my purpose the focal range from UWA to 35mm fov is much more flexible lens. Using it with the 55-135 you even might leave your 16-58 at home.

With the 10mm I would be afraid that its maybe a fun lens (in the beginning?) but pretty specialized and only for certain scenes.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

The question to me would be what do you miss? what do you like to shoot?

For my part I would add a 23 if you need something compact, flexible for low light, or the 35/1.4 if you want a long normal for short distance portraits. My choice for UWA is the 11-23, it is bigger than the 10mm but for my purpose the focal range from UWA to 35mm fov is much more flexible lens. Using it with the 55-135 you even might leave your 16-58 at home.

With the 10mm I would be afraid that its maybe a fun lens (in the beginning?) but pretty specialized and only for certain scenes.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that my current line up is more than adequate for what I like to shoot.

Edited by Dave in Wales

2 hours ago, Ludders said:

Hi there, selling my 11-23, CL & 18-56 kit and 18mm on another site, just in case your looking.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-Super-Vario-Elmar-TL-11-23mm-ASPH-3-5-4-5-for-Leica-CL-TL/264389418014?hash=item3d8ed65c1e:g:D4cAAOSwumJdG11n

Thank you, I do not have an eBay account, also I tend always to buy 'new'.

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:26 AM, Dave in Wales said:

I just bought a new watch and a CL lens. Really cheered me up ;)

Not sure why you think 11-23 is rare, I always find second hand ones and news ones for sale. Plenty in London shops.

rgds

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2019 at 11:26 PM, Dave in Wales said:

I recently sold a couple of items so that I could add to my Leica APS-C arsenal. I ordered a TL2 and Visoflex. I have 5 TL lenses which do what I need them to do. I live in Burnaby, BC, CA a suburb of Vancouver and we do have a Leica Boutique in Richmond also a suburb of Vancouver. The Boutique only has the Chrome version of the TL2 and I would prefer black.

I went to another Leica dealer in Burnaby who is much closer to me (walking distance) and they would order a black TL2 for me.

Apparently it is going to take 3+ weeks to arrive in Vancouver. The Visoflex is readily available but not the camera. I can't imagine how long it might take to get the 11-22 if the Leica Boutique  in Richmond, BC didn't have it in stock. I believe Canadian Leica stock comes out of the New York so that could slow things down, but who really knows.

I was told that 3 weeks for Leica is not to bad and I should count my blessing (smile). So patience it is. I hope this means the TL2 is selling reasonably well for Leica.

Cheers, Terry

Edited by terrycioni

On 7/6/2019 at 4:33 AM, Dave in Wales said:

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that my current line up is more than adequate for what I like to shoot.

You do realize that you could be permanently expelled from this board for saying something like that, don't you? 😀

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, bags27 said:

You do realize that you could be permanently expelled from this board for saying something like that, don't you? 😀

I love it :unsure:

Edited by Dave in Wales

On 7/6/2019 at 3:33 AM, Dave in Wales said:

Sometimes less really is more. My “setup” is simple: an 18-56 and a 23. This avoids faffing about deciding which lenses to take and whether I should be shooting the funny ice cream guy on the lake front with some other lens than the one on the camera. Personally I like the discipline of the 23 and taking just that: it forces me to think about the best shots I can get from that lens.

Maybe somewhere down the track you get to the point where the missing focal length(s) become essential for what you want to shoot, but until then enjoy the freedom.

6 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

Sometimes less really is more. My “setup” is simple: an 18-56 and a 23. This avoids faffing about deciding which lenses to take and whether I should be shooting the funny ice cream guy on the lake front with some other lens than the one on the camera. Personally I like the discipline of the 23 and taking just that: it forces me to think about the best shots I can get from that lens.

Maybe somewhere down the track you get to the point where the missing focal length(s) become essential for what you want to shoot, but until then enjoy the freedom.

There's a lot of truth in what you say.