Leica R3 prices, buy buy buy!

earleygallery

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I searched for another R3 body a while ago and now keep getting ebay alerts when new ones are listed.

A while ago someone listed an R3 plus lens for over £800! I chuckled at their optimism. Now there are several R3/50 Summicron combinations currently listed at similar prices! (and yes, a gold one at over £3K which is probably right if you're that way inclined).

Sellers are obviously assuming north of £800 is a sensible price. Of course they're all still for sale which should be telling them something. If only they clicked on the 'sold items' button they could see what the real values are.......

30 minutes ago, Robert E said:

Here in the US, 3 of them (2 black, 1 silver) just sold for $100 each. No one here wants them do to their horrible reputation. Some repairmen won't even touch them.

I think it was the R4 that had the horrible reputation, for electrical faults. Repairmen won't touch them simply because the parts are unobtainable (and the cost of repair would buy several working s/h bodies). 

Just wondering: the R3 is it all electric or can they be use totally mechanically on all speed speeds? I know there is an automatic mode that is electric, is it different from the R4 which is only mechanical at one speed? I might buy one but I'm unclear on this aspect of the R3( I'm not worried about the metering)

11 minutes ago, mann61 said:

Just wondering: the R3 is it all electric or can they be use totally mechanically on all speed speeds? I know there is an automatic mode that is electric, is it different from the R4 which is only mechanical at one speed? I might buy one but I'm unclear on this aspect of the R3( I'm not worried about the metering)

R3 has electronically drive shutter speed as R4/5.

Only R6 and R6-2 have mechanical shutter.

Before them Leicaflex all model are mechanical shutter speed.

Edited by a.noctilux

The Leicaflex as a backup is a good choice, especially if it is a SL2. I admit to liking the R3, much to my surprise, when I bought a lens online at a fair price and the seller threw in his R3 since he had no other R lenses. I set it on automatic and it delivered well exposed negatives and transparencies. I sold it when I needed some cash for an R8. Periodically, as prices have come down I've thought about reacquiring one, but ended up sticking with my Minolta collection of bodies and lenses.

Yes I have a Leicaflex sl2. It has a great viewfinder. However it's meter doesn't work so I use the sunny 16 rule . I have an original LeicaFlex and a few SL I bought for a song. All of my flexes have superb leather cases. They offer all what the R6.2 offers but at a fraction of the cost.

2 hours ago, spydrxx said:

The Leicaflex as a backup is a good choice, especially if it is a SL2. I admit to liking the R3, much to my surprise, when I bought a lens online at a fair price and the seller threw in his R3 since he had no other R lenses. I set it on automatic and it delivered well exposed negatives and transparencies. I sold it when I needed some cash for an R8. Periodically, as prices have come down I've thought about reacquiring one, but ended up sticking with my Minolta collection of bodies and lenses.

I’ve had an R3 since the early 80’s. I prefer it to the later R models, it has a lovely shutter action and the average or spot metering modes work very well. 

Unfortunately my original R3 developed a shutter fault and cannot be repaired. I’ve since bought 2 other bodies. When another decent one at a sensible price comes my way I’ll buy that too.

I could buy a later R but feel too comfortable with the R3 now!