Anyone Else Staying with Q over Q2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a Q that I loved and sold it to get a Q2.  The Q2 arrived with a chunk if something in the viewfinder so I sent it back, time to replace being unknown.

My friend who bought my Q wants to sell if back, and I'm giving serious thought to abandoning the Q2 and sticking with the Q.

It was a wonderful camera.

I never shoot in the shower, rain or sand storms.

I seldom print.

Q files are manageable sizes.

Q has good-enough video, with a dedicated button.

I have a D850 with a suitcase of lenses if I need big files for cropping, or high quality video. If I want to go full-German Leica mode the M10 is at the ready.

Something about having the latest has always appealed to me, but the Q was so good I can't imaging being much happier with the Q2.

Has anyone here decided to make do with the Q?

• Like 1

I had the original Q for 3.5 years and upgraded to the Q2 in March. I've shot nearly 3,000 photos with it, and I noticed how seldom I crop past 35mm which completely negates the need for 47MP.  Weather-resistance and the larger battery I thought would be nice features, but the weight increase is something that's starting to bug me. Maybe it's just in my head, but I feel the Q2 images are a bit more clinical. So I just bought a second-hand Q-P to compare against my Q2. Will report back on which I end up keeping.

• Like 8

I just bought the Q2 and sold the Q two days ago.

Leica store at Paris told me during the launch day workshops with Leica ambassadors  : we got one for you. Hey way too soon for me ! Let me think about it. I haven’t got the chance to review my workshops photos ! 

Mid April, they called me : we got one for you if you want it. I said, I passed, still love my Q. 

Last friday, they called again : we got one for you again. Guess what ? Third time a charm. I said OK I’ll get it. Stop harassing me 😉 

Actually, not that happy about Q2

It is 25% better in some ways than Q. 

But 10% worst than the Q in other matters. 

So it is not a no brainer update. It does not really worth the 2500€ required to buy the Q2 after selling the Q. 

• Like 2

Q handles perfectly, the viewfinder is crisp and wonderful, and 24 megapixels is plenty. The dynamic range is also plenty sufficient for my uses -- 3 stops under and it's all there recoverable without loss. Not to mention, the autofocus is the best I've seen in a camera so far. Many mirrorless cameras like to focus to the wrong point inside my chosen rectangle -- Q almost always reads my mind about it.

The only problem I have is that I since bought an M and now the EVF/autofocus interface feels like something I don't need.

I'll keep my Q, as well.

If the Q2 had had a 50mm or even 35mm, it would have been enticing. But there are not enough reasons to move me to replace my wonderful Q.

Greg

Edited by grick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bags27 said:

biggest I've tried with the Q is 30x20 inch, and it's fantastic

i have several 36 x 24 (inches) from my Q in my weekend/lake home.which are amazing

i also have several 30 x 20 from my old x1 as well which are amazing as well 

i have a few from my crop sensor leica c typ 112  18 x 24 (1/1.7" sensor)which are very good  and 12 x 12 square

i had a 18 x 24 image made from a panasonic (leica branded lens 1 /2.3" sensor which is very good as well

i do not see the need for the Q2 for me

Edited by prk60091
typo
  • Like 1

Nope.  I upgraded to the Q2 and am very happy.  The old Q EVF never worked well for me—I would always see color fringing of the red pixels if my eye wasn’t perfectly centered.  I always worried about the camera in inclement weather.  And the extra megapixels of the Q2 give me more leeway for cropping.  I think it’s a sizable upgrade from the original version.  Only downsides are storage and initial cost. 

• Like 2

Nope.  I upgraded to the Q2 and am very happy.  The old Q EVF never worked well for me—I would always see color fringing of the red pixels if my eye wasn’t perfectly centered.  I always worried about the camera in inclement weather.  And the extra megapixels of the Q2 give me more leeway for cropping.  I think it’s a sizable upgrade from the original version.  Only downsides are storage and initial cost. 

3 hours ago, bags27 said:

biggest I've tried with the Q is 30x20 inch, and it's fantastic

That's great to hear! I'm looking forward to getting some large prints out of my Q2 shots. I'm a printing geek and am wildly curious to see the quality.

I have a print made from a Canon 5D Mark III that looks like feces at 23" x 30". That's largely due to the pixel quality of Canon files. 

For work I've blown images up to 20' tall for trade show graphics. Nikon and Canon files look terrible. FujiFilm files (X-T2, X-T3 and GFX) look much when placed side-by-side. I've not blown up Leica files to that extent, but one of my retouchers is convinced the Q2 will be on par or better quality.

• Like 1