Q2 can't take still shot, only video

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received my Q2. I've already read the whole manual, but I can't take a still shot. I press the shutter button down half way for focus, then all the way for the shot, but when pressed all the way down, video starts recording.  I can't take a still shot.  I'm sure the solution is really stupid, but how simple could it be to take a still?  Press half way, focus, press all the way, shot.  But all I get is video recording

OK, folks...I answered my own question. pg 100 shows picture of just swiping LCD in RIGHT direction for video, swipe LEFT to put in picture mode. Maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to be no other way to turn off video. I must have swiped the screen to the right when I put on the screen protector!

• Haha 2

I think the center ‘select’ button inside the navigation arrows also allows you to scroll through various LCD/EVF viewing options, one of which is video mode among the still mode options.

Enjoy the camera!

- Scott

Edited by FHPdoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tnturnerx1 said:

I just received my Q2. I've already read the whole manual, but I can't take a still shot. I press the shutter button down half way for focus, then all the way for the shot, but when pressed all the way down, video starts recording.  I can't take a still shot.  I'm sure the solution is really stupid, but how simple could it be to take a still?  Press half way, focus, press all the way, shot.  But all I get is video recording

Glad to see it wasn't just me that ran into this yesterday...Took a bit of time on the street to figure it out. Would be nice to be able to just remove the option when not needed for video. There may be a way but I haven't yet read up on it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Please bring back proper video button ! Disable at will for video haters. 

CL and Q2 ways are too stupid

Right dial central button should be settable as a video button

110% with nicci78 on this one. Its was a stupid design decision to remove the dedicated video button in the first place. The "improvement" in burying the video function in the jog dial is ludicrous.

Leica should have left the video button alone and used some of there "engineering talent" to allow the button to be used for another user-defined function if someone doesn't want video. Since it's doubtful Leica will re-design the Q2 to include a dedicated video button the least they can do is issue a software fix to allow the thumbwheel button to be programmed as a video button. 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, Matsaly said:

110% with nicci78 on this one. Its was a stupid design decision to remove the dedicated video button in the first place. The "improvement" in burying the video function in the jog dial is ludicrous.

Leica should have left the video button alone and used some of there "engineering talent" to allow the button to be used for another user-defined function if someone doesn't want video. Since it's doubtful Leica will re-design the Q2 to include a dedicated video button the least they can do is issue a software fix to allow the thumbwheel button to be programmed as a video button. 

+1 plus eliminate swiping the LCD to change screens. It is too easy to inadvertently do this. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 8:19 PM, FHPdoc said:

I think the center ‘select’ button inside the navigation arrows also allows you to scroll through various LCD/EVF viewing options, one of which is video mode among the still mode options.

Enjoy the camera!

- Scott

Wow, thanks! I missed this one. Phew!  I've had so much trouble with video turning on and I didn't know how it was happening!!!