M typ 240 or ME typ 240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys. I'm looking at buying a digital M and was wondering if I should wait for the ME at 3500 pounds vs a typ 240 offered mint with 2 yrs leica warranty, an extra battery and screen foil at 3000. For my big camera fix, I have a lumix s1r with SL 24 90. It's just for street and day to day photography, I've been looking more at an M. I'd appreciate your advice. 

Both have a 24 MP CMOS sensor.

Both have a 2 GB buffer.

Both have a 200-6400 ISO range.

The M240 and M-E 240  are very similar cameras.

500 pounds/628 USD is a good sized savings.  Add to that the extra battery which sells for 143 pounds/180 USD and the deal is even sweeter.  The 2 year vs. 3 year factory warranty is not that big of an issue IMHO, if the seller will offer you some sort of time frame for return/refund. 

If it were me, I would probably get the M240 and extra battery at 3000 pounds, if it is minty new ad has been a store display or demo model.  If it has been a back up body in someone's kit and has been used very little, I would also seriously consider getting it.

If you can say yes to all the above and the anthracite finish of the M-E 240 is something you can live without, I think the M240 is the way to go.  to my eye, the anthracite finish of the M-E 240 is beautiful, but is it worth an extra 643 pounds/808 USD?  Not to me.  That money would go a long way toward the purchase of an M lens.

JMHO.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

I use M(typ 240) for some years now.

The limiting 1 GB buffer on M240 (2 GB on the M-E typ 240 or M-P 240 ) never limited my creativity.

If continuous sequence of 8 DNG in place of 16 DNG is enough, I think that M240 is just fine.

Even if I do like the new "color" of the M-E , if I happend to be as you new M buyer, I'd go for M240 and keep the difference for other things like lens or trip to use it.

40 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Both have a 2 GB buffer.

Except the M240 doesn't. I personally would occasionally need the extra buffer but only you know if you need it.

Leica batteries are expensive so the deal on minty M doesn't sound too bad.

Edited by mike3996

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to add to the dilemma, one or two dealers are advertising final stocks of new Typ 240s at £3500 now - Leica themselves and Clifton Cameras for example.  I think I've just bagged the penultimate silver one from Germany which should be here within the next few days.  I understand they have one more.  Not sure about stocks of the black body.

10 hours ago, mike3996 said:

Except the M240 doesn't. I personally would occasionally need the extra buffer but only you know if you need it.

Leica batteries are expensive so the deal on minty M doesn't sound too bad.

My mistake - the M240 has a 1 GB buffer.  It's the M-P 240 that has a 2 GB buffer. 

Depending on how and what you shoot, you may find the M240's 1 GB buffer is sufficient. 

I do a lot of documentary style shooting and had freeze ups with my M240 that would require turning the camera off and dropping the battery in order to clear them.  I'm not sure if this was because of buffer size or SD cards that did not have a high enough read/write speed.

Initial thoughts :

1. Finding it difficult to focus composted to 50mm on an M3. Understandable with magnification. Will take some time to get used to it. 

2. Love the weight of the 240. More than an M3, less than my s1r. 

3. Camera doesn't automatically pick the 50mm f2 summicron made in Canada lens for some reason so not setting exposure automatically according to max exposure setting on the menu. 

4. Very simple and straight forward menus. 

5. Live View is good but not for me. Takes me ages to use it to focus. More intuitive to focus through rangefinder. 

6. Not sure if it's an actual issue with camera or my focusing but doing more tests on it. When I focus using range finder and everything is in focus on patch, it is a bit soft or blurry in actual pic. When refined in live view, it is sharp in final pic. Different is minute but noticeable. 

Any tips for a beginner in digital range finder shooting? 

Some tips ...

1 - Maybe you need eye piece dioptre correction ?

in my experience, the digital M VF is easier to focus than film M (more contrast), but your M3's VF can be better than mine

2 - Nice and it is thicker too, for me without the self-timer lever, digital M can be held comfortably

3 - Your Summicron may be 6 bits coded (ask your Leica Dealer) or you can put that information in the menu

4 - 😎

5 - RF is the way to use the M240, LV is only for periodic use (long lens, macro, adapted lenses, etc.)

6 - your lens may need more accurate tuning or adjustment for digital use which is more demanding than what you used to

If your 50 is the “Ridgid” version, it cannot be coded, but you can easily select it in the menu and make a preset for it. Later version can all be sent for coding. But if you only use one lens, then no need to go to that expense. 

I'll probably use this lens on my M3 anyway and buy a 35mm cron/lux and a 50mm lux down the road. How do I get only the 50 framelines to show in the view finder? I've manually selected the lens focal length but I see all the framelines. Gets very distracting. 

Since Leica M4-P (from 1980's), frame lines show in pair : 28/90 , 50/75, 35/135 .

I think it's only the 50/75 pair that you mean by "all the framelines".

It's not possible to show in newer Ms only the 50mm frame lines like your M3 (remaining the best finder in this aspect).

The pairs can be seen by pushing/pulling the frame select lever.