Survey AE-/AF-Lock Handling

AE-/AF-Lock Handling  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Which system do you use mainly?

• Leica Q / Leica Q2
    • Leica SL
    • Leica CL / TL
  2. 2. How should the AE-/AF-Lock button work?

• AE-/AF-Lock on hold: Exposure / focus is locked as long as the button is pressed
    • AE-/AF-Lock switch: Press once to save exposure and focus, press again to cancel the saved setting
    • Both options (Hold and Switch), configuration via menu which one to use
    • Not important for me
    • I don't use the AE-/AF-Lock button

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/21/2019 at 06:34 AM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We (Leon and I) have noticed that the handling of the AE-AF-Lock button is often a discussion topic and is a returning feature request.

Thus we are interested in your opinion how the AE-/AF-Lock button should work:

• AE-/AF-Lock on hold
    Exposure / focus is locked as long as the button is pressed
  • AE-/AF-Lock on switch
    Press once to save exposure and focus, press again to cancel the saved setting

In order to get a broader image:

Can you answer the two questions above? Thank you!

If you want to give reasons for your choice, please comment below.

Andreas

PS.: Vote only if you are using one of the mentioned systems (Leica SL / Leica Q/Q2 / Leica CL/TL)

The discussion is usually by those who (like me) want to separate the setting of focus and exposure.  With the SL I can use a press of the joystick to lock focus then select an area for exposure, half press, and finally recompose  to frame and shoot the picture.  With the CL I can't do that.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

The discussion is usually by those who (like me) want to separate the setting of focus and exposure.  With the SL I can use a press of the joystick to lock focus then select an area for exposure, half press, and finally recompose  to frame and shoot the picture.  With the CL I can't do that.

+1; separate buttons for focus and exposure should be available on all 'advanced' bodies, CL included. In my opinion, obviously.

Edited by helged
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helged said:

+1; separate buttons for focus and exposure should be available on all 'advanced' bodies, CL included. In my opinion, obviously.

+1

• Like 1

12 hours ago, helged said:

+1, and please-please do something about the CL wandering focus point!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I’m very glad that you have raised this topic again, Andreas, thank you.

I think that you have left out my preferred option. I want separate AE lock and AF lock.

My ideal arrangement would be to have ALL these options available by menu selection. Then I would choose to have AE lock toggle switched - i.e. switch on - lock - by FN (or similar) button press until second press to toggle off. I would then use the shutter release (first pressure and hold) to operate focus lock.

For those who prefer there could be a menu option to choose AF lock instead of AE lock operating in a similar way.

This would be my ideal and is how my non-Leica cameras operate. My Q and CL would then be almost perfect!

Tim

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

+1, and please-please do something about the CL wandering focus point!!!

1000% agreed. I think this is the most discussed issue and I hope Leica would finally pay attention to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi There Andreas

I'm with others here - and I've had my ear bashed about it by so many people.

Clearly the Hold / Switch should be configurable in the menu

Certainly what's locked should be configurable as well (AE or AF or AE+AF) - and these should also be configurable on the shutter in the same way

Added to which it would be helpful if it could be configured separately for PASM .

That way everybody gets what they want when they want it!

Perhaps it's worth mentioning at this point that I don't have an axe to grind personally, because I like to have AE+AF on the shutter release and I don't need the rest . . . . but everybody else seems to!

All the best

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Perhaps it's worth mentioning at this point that I don't have an axe to grind personally, because I like to have AE+AF on the shutter release and I don't need the rest . . . . but everybody else seems to!

At present, the SL gets everything right for me -- back button focus, AE on the shutter press when I am working slowly and have set AF to manual, AE + AF on the shutter press when I set an AF mode to be active.  Why can't the CL do this (I know, it is one button short...).  And please, God, don't let them screw this up on the SL2!

• Like 4

The options presented don't quite match the way I would like to use the Q. Or perhaps I'm reading them wrong.   My preferred option would have the camera keep focusing while the button is pressed and lock focus when the button is released.  In single shot mode press and release.   Press and hold is useful for continuous shooting. That lets you track something while shooting with occasional releases if your subject moves behind something that would cause a focus shift.  My Canon works this way so I am used to it.

I want focus separate from exposure.  The Q lets me do that.   Position camera and press/release back button to lock focus,  Re-position camera and half press the shutter button to lock exposure.   Frame the shot and press the shutter completely to take the picture.   I have no need for a focus unlock.   I can always hit the back button again if I want to refocus.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

At present, the SL gets everything right for me -- back button focus, AE on the shutter press when I am working slowly and have set AF to manual, AE + AF on the shutter press when I set an AF mode to be active.  Why can't the CL do this (I know, it is one button short...).  And please, God, don't let them screw this up on the SL2!

+10000000000000000000 (and I mean it). 

• Like 1

I prefer AF lock only on the shutter button and AE lock on a separate button (front function button with a transparent Bumpon on it for quick tactile reference), like I have set up on the SL.

I know folks feel that the CL is one button short to have separated functions but I think it can be done. So, it would be nice to have this on the CL, menu configurable as follows for one configuration: AF lock on the shutter button half press and AE lock on a quick press on the central button of the arrows dial. The current sole function of the central button of the arrow dial to change the screen display, could be changed to a long press of this button with next to no downside. The menu would be able to configure this the way I have suggested or the other way round (AE lock on the shutter button, AF lock on the arrows central button) or both AE and AF lock as a half press of the shutter button or the arrows button. 

Wilson

PS It would be great if Leica could programme this for us on the CL plus mend the internet/browser access, which they broke (they say it was deliberate but even Leica UK agrees it was a mistake) with the last FW update. There is a wifi function, which at present has no function at all (join WLAN)  and this also applies to the SL. W

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

I think there are lots of different ways people like this to happen, but it seems to me you can make everyone happy with two buttons (ie allow one of the soft buttons on the CL to do it) and a couple of menu options which should be configurable differently for Program /Aperture Priority / Shutter / Manual

AE+AF on Shutter

AE+AF on second button

AE only on Shutter

AF only on Shutter

AE only on second button

AF only on Second button

. . . with an option for toggle or hold on the second button (ie saves whatever when held down or saves it until pressed again).

Doesn't this cover every desire for everyone?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Wilson's solution for the CL would be enough for me.  short press on the center button gives back button AF in Manual, long press changes the display setting.  

Fine - but I've seen requests for all sorts of different variants, and at least with my solution (I think) they're all covered. 

• jaapv unpinned this topic