Q2 Arrives Flawed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/22/2019 at 5:02 PM, ralphh said:

Things can move around inside cameras and lenses - they're not build in a clean room and do get shaken up when shipped, so it's not necessarily a QC issue at Leica.

Hope you get it resolved.  You pay that much for a camera you want everything to be right.  A while back i promised myself I'd stop looking for lumps of stuff in viewfinders and lenses; you'll always find something if you look hard enough, but if I got a new Q2 with an obvious blob in it i'd certainly want it cleaned out. 

Seriously? I own close to 30 cameras and don't know of any cases where a weather sealed unit would ship in these quantities with hair and large pieces of degree? Also, most modern electronics are certainly built in a clean room of one type or another. Why would a $5k camera get a pass? 

The chips and sensor will certainly be printed by robots in a real clean room, but final assembly of the camera will be done by people in a relatively clean workshop. A skin flake or hair can get in and not be in the optical path so not be detected in QC then move during shipping. I'm not saying it's ok for a camera - esp a 5k one - to turn up with junk in the viewfinder, I'm just saying it happens.

My xpro2, which is not a cheap camera and is also weather sealed developed a large amount of junk in the EVF over time. It might have got in from the outside, but more likely it was always in there somewhere. I seem to remember both my 5D3s had some dust inside the VFs after a while too. 

Lenses almost always ship with tiny dust particles in them. Try shining a fash light into one end and look in the other and you'll see it. I've had sealed L series canon lenses with big bits of black fuzz in them from new which is probably stuff that's come off the inside of the lens barrel during shipping. 

• Like 1

Update:  I ended up canceling my order and I've settled into using my M10 to provide my Leica experience for now.  I decided I don't need 47 mp files to deal with.  I might even take just the M10 to Hawaii next month and leave the Nikon suitcase at home.

A friend I sold my Q to is selling it back to me.  I was happy with the Q and will be glad to get it back. That will go with me to Hawaii if he can get it back to me in time.

I might get a Q2 used some day in a year or two when they come down in price.

Good luck with your Q2 purchases!

Edited by Johno
  • Like 1