Q2 Arrives Flawed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After 4 months of waiting I find my Q2 has a problem. 

There is a black object in the viewfinder. Some kind of big hunk of debris or dust or something. It’s squarish and sizable enough to be extremely obvious.

B&H says they have no idea when I can get a replacement so I’m considering giving up and finding a nice used Q. I loved the Q and it sounds like the Q2 is not as nice from a user experience. I see the Q is discontinued at B&H. 

I can make do with my M10 and Nikon if photography needs to be done and getting another Leica camera is excessive as it is tempting.  

Edited by Johno

I also have two small black objects in the viewfinder. Haven't decided if I will leave it or try to get it fixed.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by NiclasS

1 hour ago, Johno said:

After 4 months of waiting I find my Q2 has a problem. 

There is a black object in the viewfinder. Some kind of big hunk of debris or dust or something. It’s squarish and sizable enough to be extremely obvious.

B&H says they have no idea when I can get a replacement so I’m considering giving up and finding a nice used Q. I loved the Q and it sounds like the Q2 is not as nice from a user experience. I see the Q is discontinued at B&H. 

I can make do with my M10 and Nikon if photography needs to be done and getting another Leica camera is excessive as it is tempting.  

I highly recommend you escalate your problem with B&H support. They should send you a replacement. Amanda is a supervisor in their customer support area who was very helpful to me. So sorry for your troubles. I have a Q2 and love it. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear this.  B&H would, I would think, be happy to put you at the head of the queue for the next batch to come in.  I can’t believe they would have you start again at the end of the line.  So you might have a week or two to wait, but it shouldn’t be months.  Try giving them a call again.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, NiclasS said:

I also have two small black objects in the viewfinder. Haven't decided if I will leave it or try to get it fixed.

My fleck is much larger -- maybe the size of 2 x2 of your squares.  It's the biggest hunk of anything I've ever seen in a camera!

1 hour ago, iQ2 said:

I highly recommend you escalate your problem with B&H support. They should send you a replacement. Amanda is a supervisor in their customer support area who was very helpful to me. So sorry for your troubles. I have a Q2 and love it. 

I called them and they were very low energy about it, but said they would move me to the front of the line.  The catch is they can't say how long the wait will be. It seems they are on a monthly release schedule.

I wrote Leica to see if they can help.  They are usually very responsive.

22 minutes ago, Jared said:

Sorry to hear this.  B&H would, I would think, be happy to put you at the head of the queue for the next batch to come in.  I can’t believe they would have you start again at the end of the line.  So you might have a week or two to wait, but it shouldn’t be months.  Try giving them a call again.

Thanks.  They said I'm going back to front.  It will be interesting to see how fast they are coming in.

There is a solid uptick in people trying to sell their unopened cameras on Fred Miranda. It appears the cameras are flowing faster.

After this experience I would never buy a flip camera.

3 hours ago, NiclasS said:

I would vigorously object to the delivery of a camera with this type of flaw. It's sad to read lots of horror stories of poor QC in Wetzlar. 

Leica said the only help they can provide is to give me a label to send it in for repair.  I didn't feel like accepting a camera that arrived needing repair.

B&h will provide no idea when it can be replaced.  They said it might be a month.

Edited by Johno

This same thing happened to me except I ordered through Adorama. I made a deal with Adorama, move me to the front of the line but let me hold onto the flawed camera until the return window was up, at which point I’ll send back. When my 30 days was up, I mailed the flawed camera back and then a day later Adorama said my replacement was ready. Haven’t had an issue since. Good luck! 

• Like 2

I have the two very small flecks as well.  And, yes, if I look and my Canon 5D MKIV, it probably looks worse and I ignore it.  But when I received the 5D new, it was spotless as was my Q, which still is spotless - so there's that.🤔

I don't see the spots when using the rear screen, so it is something in the EVF - trash or something.  Hope it doesn't get worse.

Edited by bullmoon

• 3 weeks later...

Noticing a dust spot has cropped up in my EVF. Have been using the Q2 every day on a two week vacation, so this is a recent development as the camera was fine when I got it. What are the suggested resolutions? Send it to Leica for repair? How long does that usually take and what is the cost? Bought it from District Camera.

Seeing as how the supply of Q2's is very slim, worldwide.  Wouldn't it make sense to have a Leica service center open it up and clean it?  I know, I would have felt the same way if it were me, but over the years, I had to have many digital s  cleaned of dust.  Sounds as if Leica may have relaxed their "clean room" assembly in order to catch up with demand.  Good luck to all, in any case, waiting is not fun.

Things can move around inside cameras and lenses - they're not build in a clean room and do get shaken up when shipped, so it's not necessarily a QC issue at Leica.

Hope you get it resolved.  You pay that much for a camera you want everything to be right.  A while back i promised myself I'd stop looking for lumps of stuff in viewfinders and lenses; you'll always find something if you look hard enough, but if I got a new Q2 with an obvious blob in it i'd certainly want it cleaned out. 

On 7/2/2019 at 7:59 PM, Johno said:

I called them and they were very low energy about it, but said they would move me to the front of the line.  The catch is they can't say how long the wait will be. It seems they are on a monthly release schedule.

I wrote Leica to see if they can help.  They are usually very responsive.

Johno,

Do not hesitate to ask for a supervisor. They generally know when next deliveries are planned and should give you an estimated delivery. No guarantee though. My experience has been good with them when I complained to a supervisor. Amanda specifically. It is frustrating and takes time, but it worked for me. Good luck.