S100mm 2.0 verses HC80 1.9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I use the xcd 90 mm and find it works quite well.I am also temted by the 80mm but I really dont know if I gain much compared to the 90mm. Shallow DOF is a nice gimmick but I like both eyes in focus and the shallow dof from the 90 seems shallow enough for me.

In regards of the S100 or S120...I prefer the 100mm for portraits. I also believe the S lenses have something special. But I am also a bit frustrated with AF accurancy with the S-system. And I love the compact size of x1d.

I wish there were more images in the web from the 80mm Hassy lens. And a comparison to the 90 would be great as well.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tom0511 said:

Hi, I use the xcd 90 mm and find it works quite well.I am also temted by the 80mm but I really dont know if I gain much compared to the 90mm. Shallow DOF is a nice gimmick but I like both eyes in focus and the shallow dof from the 90 seems shallow enough for me.

In regards of the S100 or S120...I prefer the 100mm for portraits. I also believe the S lenses have something special. But I am also a bit frustrated with AF accurancy with the S-system. And I love the compact size of x1d.

I wish there were more images in the web from the 80mm Hassy lens. And a comparison to the 90 would be great as well.

I loved my S100mm but with the accuracy of the XCD lenses as you said. With the current focus system of the S The Summicron-S 100mm f2 often was out of focus and it was difficult to get correct focus on the eyes. This was the biggest factor for me to switch from S to the Hasselblad X1D...

I have the XCD 90Mm f3.2 too and love that lens although not the craziest bokeh it's very subtle, very sharp and very easy to get focus right. I am also temped by the XCD 80mm f1.9 but I also feel it's too close to my 90mm f3.2 maybe I should try out the XCD 135mm f2.8

6 hours ago, Milan_S said:

I loved my S100mm but with the accuracy of the XCD lenses as you said. With the current focus system of the S The Summicron-S 100mm f2 often was out of focus and it was difficult to get correct focus on the eyes. This was the biggest factor for me to switch from S to the Hasselblad X1D...

I have the XCD 90Mm f3.2 too and love that lens although not the craziest bokeh it's very subtle, very sharp and very easy to get focus right. I am also temped by the XCD 80mm f1.9 but I also feel it's too close to my 90mm f3.2 maybe I should try out the XCD 135mm f2.8

you would love the 80 (and the 135)

On 7/4/2019 at 2:19 AM, NW67 said:

I thought about getting the XCD 120 macro but I hear it hunts all the time............do the HC lenses fit the X1D II via an adapter and retain AF?

the 120 is a beautiful lens, but AF is very slow. Ok to use manually for macro. I am selling it for the 135

9 hours ago, Milan_S said:

I have the XCD 90Mm f3.2 too and love that lens although not the craziest bokeh it's very subtle, very sharp and very easy to get focus right.

In fairness, stopping down the Leica 2/100 to f3.2 would have given you some relief. Focussing on the eye aiming for a sharp iris can be challenging of course for AF systems which either do not recognise the eye and or have a focus field size which generally is so large, that often something close comes into picture (no pun intended). So - in your eyes 😂 - how does the X1D help in this regard (honst question)?

1 hour ago, Photon42 said:

In fairness, stopping down the Leica 2/100 to f3.2 would have given you some relief. Focussing on the eye aiming for a sharp iris can be challenging of course for AF systems which either do not recognise the eye and or have a focus field size which generally is so large, that often something close comes into picture (no pun intended). So - in your eyes 😂 - how does the X1D help in this regard (honst question)?

I use both the S and X1D professionally and so far the X1D gave me less stress with focusing. The moveable focus point of the X1D is more precise and I have way more keepers than with the S system. Focus hunting in backlight is also not an issue for the X1D.
I never managed to use the S in MF I had the split screen Although I am used on RF MF back from the film days...

• Like 2

Am 6.7.2019 um 18:29 schrieb Photon42:

My assumtion is the x1d focuses on a smaller area than the phase detect AF point of the S. Also you can move the focus point around. I also get more keepers with the x1d in regards of correct focus, at equivalent f-stops.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, tom0511 said:

My assumtion is the x1d focuses on a smaller area than the phase detect AF point of the S. Also you can move the focus point around. I also get more keepers with the x1d in regards of correct focus, at equivalent f-stops.

What lens did you use for the X1D?

16 hours ago, tom0511 said:

Exactly, I hope this will be improved in the new S3 otherwise I will stay and expand my X1D and XCD collection....

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Photon42:

What lens did you use for the X1D?

I use the x1d with 21/30/45 and 90 and (have) use(d) the S2/S006 and S007 with allmost all lenses available.

In my experience the S100 is a beautiful lens but one which is critical in regards of AF, not only wide open.

I am torn between the systems myself.  I would love the viewfinder of the S with the AF of the x1d and the size of the x1d lenses, but with the rendering of the S-lenses ;)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, tom0511 said:

I use the x1d with 21/30/45 and 90 and (have) use(d) the S2/S006 and S007 with allmost all lenses available.

In my experience the S100 is a beautiful lens but one which is critical in regards of AF, not only wide open.

I am torn between the systems myself.  I would love the viewfinder of the S with the AF of the x1d and the size of the x1d lenses, but with the rendering of the S-lenses ;)

Thanks for the information, Tom. So at this point I understand you compare your present experience with a XCD 3.2/90 with the S 2/100. I do not have the 2/100 myself, but successfully use the 2.5/120 with AF and almost equally successful the 2/80 (Contax) with AF. I have also manually focussed the Hassy V 2/110 on the S, but with a little more off focus pictures when going close-up. I had the X1D in hand multiple times. It is sure a super slick looking camera with a small footprint.

Lenses are mostly lighter than their S counterparts. My one older HC 2.2/100 however autofocuses on the Leica but only MF on the X1D, as it cannot drive phase detect lenses. Updates possible only with the latest versions of the HC lenses.

The weight-saving aspect may or may not be important. Some photographers schlepp their equipment to a certain place and then take pictures from a tripod. I would think 1-2 Kg more or less won't make that much of a difference in that case. If you however walk around with the camera in hand, things change (there is a thread to the Leica M and the Noctilux using the word "brick" as a comparison). I am more the walk-around type of person so this does give me a bit food for thought.

My 120 isnt the fastest lens to focus but seems more accurate than my 100 for some reasons.

I am not a pro, but I enjoy the quality of MF images. Even though I also have smaller cameras/formats I sometimes like to bring MF for casual things/vacation travel etc.

I even bring the x1d sometimes when I walk with our dog in the evening. I can shoot the x1d with 21 or 30 or 45 with one hand!

I did bring the S with 3 lenses in a backpack for multiple hour hikes in the mountains some years ago and it is possible, but the x1d makes things like this easier. While I try to limit myself on 2 lenses when carrying the S I can carry 3 lenses with the x1d without problem. Or just the x1d+45mm around the shoulder is very easy to carry and also doesnt draw as much attention as the S+45mm. The x1d are a little slower aparture (except the 80) but still fast enough for my taste.

• Like 3

Thanks for your perspective, Tom. I will certainly check the X1D II out one day here in Zurich. But then I feel so bonded with the S and its lenses, that I cannot imagine switching, really.

The S's strong suite isn't backpacking and/or landscape. You want something very small/light, like an M or an X1D, or something with movements if you are using a tripod.

On the other hand, the S really excels for faster-paced shooting: event, fashion, and some types of portraiture.

I am surprised to read that so many people rely on AF. To me it's a feature that has never worked, on any camera. You get something in focus, but the camera decides what it will be. That's the opposite of the way I like to work, with the point of focus anchoring my composition.

With Hi-resolution sensors I found out that AF has been more accurate than manual focus. This is maybe different with EVF and still subjects.

A good calibrated rangefinder lens up to 50mm also seems to be very accurate to focus.

For me I get most keepers with face detection AF. And I can choose where the camer focuses, I dont let the AF decide. I allmost allways use either face detection or choose the focus point, or with the S focus and recompose.

I don’t need AF at all mostly I shoot MF Leica with my m10 and m246 but for MF the S never worked for me even I had the split prism... i prefer mf with Evf cameras like the SL thats why I hope the S3 will have an option for an external evf.

On 7/10/2019 at 9:22 PM, Milan_S said:

I don’t need AF at all mostly I shoot MF Leica with my m10 and m246 but for MF the S never worked for me even I had the split prism... i prefer mf with Evf cameras like the SL thats why I hope the S3 will have an option for an external evf.

Could you not use the electronic confirmation when you used manual focus?

The key for using 100cron well is manual focus through OVF at short-mid distance and focus recompose at mid-long distance. I have no problem nail focus using stock screen at portrait distance say less than 3 or 4 meters under good light. However, it is the time I have to rely on AF at longer distance shooting, Leica failed me at very high rate. I hope Leica can solve this.

I personally also prefer focus and recompose, it is simple and straightforward. With experience, you could easily compensate the recompose error. Moving around AF point is actually slow, distracting and never do good for dynamic shooting.

Modern camera’s eye AF with fast AFC is quite powerful tool in this dynamic situation but first I wouldn’t expect Leica can make it right with S, 2nd I usually use that feature for snap shot or under time pressure with Nikon or Sony. Work with S either Manual focus or AF with recompose is still far more enjoyable process for me. 

I do think Leica S need improve its AF accuracy for this single AF point which doesn’t reliably work for me right now. 

• 3 weeks later...

the 100 S was heartbreaking for me, consistently out of focus

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!