S100mm 2.0 verses HC80 1.9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I never did buy the S100 as I preferred the S120mm. But seeing as I’m thinking of getting the X1D II the HC80 f1.9 seems like the perfect portrait lens for this camera. 

I will post so pictures later but I’m interested in what you guys think is the perfect portrait focal length. 

Neil

Hi, Neil,

It depends. Usually,  any lens with the focal length above 100 mm will be kinder to the geometry of a human face. For me, even a very fast 80mm will be a bit short on any sensor size. I have a Contax 80/2, and for me it’s a general purpose lens, which can be used for portraits of all kind. I understand why you loved your S120mm. It has a very flattering perspective for people. Your HC150mm is even better. 

Just IMHO. 

Yevgeny. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ynp said:

Hi, Neil,

It depends. Usually,  any lens with the focal length above 100 mm will be kinder to the geometry of a human face. For me, even a very fast 80mm will be a bit short on any sensor size. I have a Contax 80/2, and for me it’s a general purpose lens, which can be used for portraits of all kind. I understand why you loved your S120mm. It has a very flattering perspective for people. Your HC150mm is even better. 

Just IMHO. 

Yevgeny. 

I love the 150 as well.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 12:44 AM, Greg Haag said:

I love the 150 as well.

Greg my HC150n is my go to lens on the H6D when shooting pretty girls........love that lens. I have got some really nice shots also with that lens on my S007 via an adapter

Neil

On 7/2/2019 at 9:40 PM, John McMaster said:

I assume that Neil is looking at the XCD (native X1D) lenses, now a third medium format system 😉

john

4th John 4th

On 7/2/2019 at 9:29 PM, ynp said:

Hi, Neil,

Just IMHO. 

Yevgeny. 

I thought about getting the XCD 120 macro but I hear it hunts all the time............do the HC lenses fit the X1D II via an adapter and retain AF?

The Dentist

This was shot with S007 and HC150n

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 minutes ago, dave.gt said:

Truly a nice portrait there, Neal!!!!

Exquisite!😀

S007 Plus HC300mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Soo7 HC150n

7 hours ago, NW67 said:

It’s a shame the Soo7 and S lenses don’t render the same way when it has HC lenses attached. 

Ah, thanks, Neil, now we are getting down to the question I have been searching for...

what difference in rendering is there between the HC lenses and S lenses, especially for portraits?

2 hours ago, dave.gt said:

Ah, thanks, Neil, now we are getting down to the question I have been searching for...

what difference in rendering is there between the HC lenses and S lenses, especially for portraits?

Dave,

I'm very much afraid that this is something only you can decide based on trying them. I have four Contax lenses and an S adapter. They are great Zeiss lenses. Once I got the equivalent S lens, I never used the Contax. I can't explain why. I just liked the S look more. When I sent the S lenses to Germany for the AF fix, I went back to the Contax lenses, and used them happily. But not since the S lenses came back.

I have NOT tried a Hassy lens on the S. But I'd have to try them, especially the 100/2.2, before making that choice. (I have the S100/2, but prefer the S120/2.5 for portraits. Go figure.)

Good luck choosing!

Matt 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Dave,

I'm very much afraid that this is something only you can decide based on trying them. I have four Contax lenses and an S adapter. They are great Zeiss lenses. Once I got the equivalent S lens, I never used the Contax. I can't explain why. I just liked the S look more. When I sent the S lenses to Germany for the AF fix, I went back to the Contax lenses, and used them happily. But not since the S lenses came back.

I have NOT tried a Hassy lens on the S. But I'd have to try them, especially the 100/2.2, before making that choice. (I have the S100/2, but prefer the S120/2.5 for portraits. Go figure.)

Good luck choosing!

Matt 

Thanks, Matt,

Your thoughts are always very helpful.:)

Since I have plenty of time to decide, I will stop by CI and pick up the S120 for the weekend sometime in September. As we re-start our Studio venture, it would be a good idea, like you said, to try one or more out for myself. Steve also has a full line of HC lenses. So.... maybe I can try one each month! That way the rental cost will be spread out and my tiny slush find will be able to cover it. 

Lol... this will be fun!

19 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Dave,

Good luck choosing!

Matt 

Same here - I use the Contax lenses much less now. The 2/80 however has really something going for it. As I said in another thread, the S with the Contax 80 isn't really much different in weight than the X1D with the 1.9/80.

If I were to have only one portrait lens for the S, it would definitely be the 120S. This is because it is super versatile (close-up portraiture comes to mind), is optically perfect and has wonderful rendering. The HC 100/2.2 is far more compact, but only focusses down to approx 1m. I bought it (used) because of relative compactness paired with the central shutter (my 120S does not feature the leaf shutter) and also because I got the adapter for very little money. It is still my most used non Leica lens on the S.

• Like 1