Cleaning

pridbor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry for asking a question which must have been asked many a time over again, but I'm in doubt as to how and what to use when cleaning my R Mirror and Focusing glass. And let me add my lenses too since I'm at it.

I'm seeing some dust particles in my viewer, and they are there even when I change to another Lens, so I assume it's in my (R9) and thus on the Mirror and Focusing glass. I have successfully cleaned my Sony Full Frame Sensor using a Swap and some supplied liquid. Would that be something you might recommend that I use for the R? I'm wondering if there's a coating on either of these items that I can destroy, so I ask before venturing into this cleaning job.

Same goes for my lenses. Sometimes I can't blow the dust or whatever is sitting on the surface of a lens, and the same cleaning question goes for those, all older lenses '70s or so.

Thanks

Preben

I've used a touch of isopropyl alcohol for years. Mirrors need a VERY DELICATE touch as front surface mirrors easily scratch...don't put any cleaner liquid directly on the surface....put it lightly onto a clean swab.

• Thanks 1

Good morning!

if you see dust in your viewfinder, I'm pretty sure, it comes from your groundglass. Guess, you have to take it out for cleaning. try to blow of the dust. If there are still particles on the groundglass, use a fine brush, to clean.

Dirt on the mirror is hardly visible in  the viewfinder. If you want to clean it, use - as spydrxx already mentioned - some isopropanol and a cotton butt. If you do it carefully, there is no risk in cleaning them. 

Lense cleaning? Not a magic job. Usually, it's the best to first blow of dust particles. And if there a still dirt particles/fingerprints on the element,  just use a clean tissue  (twinsaver or whatever; there is no special tissue needed)  add a drop of Isopronal  (or a special lenscleaner  like "Rosco"   https://us.rosco.com/en/product/lens-cleaner  ) - on the tissue and carefully, with slow movements, remove the dirt from the element.  

At work here, I have to deal with a lot of old lenses from the 60s and 70s and it's still the same cleaning principle....the coating might be not as robust, as they are in new lenses. In praxis however, I never had issues with them .

Most important always, there shouldn't be an "hard dirt" - sand particle - left on the element, before cleaning. If, then there is a good chance to create nice scratches.....

Regards,

Torsten

• Thanks 1

Hello Preben,

If I had your situation I would clean the focusing glass & the eye piece before doing the mirror. Then I would look thru the eye piece with a lens on the camera to see if anything on the mirror was overly annoying.

If the image thru the lens was acceptably usable: I would leave the mirror alone. And do nothing to it.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Preben,

If I had your situation I would clean the focusing glass & the eye piece before doing the mirror. Then I would look thru the eye piece with a lens on the camera to see if anything on the mirror was overly annoying.

If the image thru the lens was acceptably usable: I would leave the mirror alone. And do nothing to it.

Best Regards,

Michael

I agree. If the debris/dust you are seeing is itself in focus, then it will be on the screen.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My lens cleaning:

1 - Rather leave some dust on lens and avoid temptation to frequent cleaning. Some dust particles will have NO noticable effect on IQ, sharpness etc. Use front filter (UV filter) for conditions where front lens will be soiled (e.g. spray of ocean waves)

2 - Do lens cleaning only in a clean environment, not out in the field

3 - First blow off any dust particles before applying "wiping-force" with tissues, papers etc.

4 - Use microfiber tissue or dedicated lens cleaning paper, apply very Little isopropanol only if greasy dirt remains.

Edited by T.E.
  • Thanks 1

I brought my R9 with me to San Diego in hope of a few good shots, which is when I detected some "dust" in the viewfinder. I used the "Rocket blower" to remove whatever I could but still found some annoying dust-specks in the viewer. Hence my request for help.

I have previously removed the focusing glass on my R3 and R4 but not yet on the R9. Would the tool for my R4 be the same for my R9?

I'm typically one who wants it all to be perfect but I think I will take the general advice from you gents and accept some particles rather than risk damage due to my cleaning madness 🙂

Thanks all

Preben