"Daylight Film Development Tank" ??

pridbor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got an email with something I felt would be a great item to posses:

https://cinestillfilm.com/products/labbox-daylight-developing-tank

It looks enticing to me eliminating the need for a number of items we normally use when developing Film like "fumbling around in the dark" when loading a film into the Spool and Tank.

I was wondering if any of you had seen and have comments to this new design.

Thanks

Preben

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A couple of issues that I see are that unless it is filled to the top with chemicals it requires continuous agitation, and even if filled to the minimum level it uses more chemicals than a stainless tank. Also, it precludes using the Ilford film washing procedure so washing takes longer and uses more water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This eliminates the need for spooling the film onto development reels in a darkroom or changing bag. This is a modern take on an old idea, I can see on my shelves a Rondix, Rondinax 35U, Jobo 2400, Kodak Daylight Tank... Of these, the Rondix requires the lowest volume of chemicals for development. 

• Thanks 1

To Doug's point: If you are using a one-shot developer (mix and throw away after 1 roll: Rodinal, HC-110) that tank may be wasteful.

If you're using and reusing "stock" developer (for example C41/E6 color chems, or D-76 straight) and just adding development time for every new roll you run, it should be just as efficient as a reel tank. If you can get 6 or 8 rolls per litre - you'll still get 6 or 8 rolls per litre.

Personally, after 45 years of dark-loading steel Nikor reels, my muscle-memory is so good I wouldn't need it. And I specifically built my house with 1.5 windowless bathrooms, with loading film in mind. A great opportunity to meditate.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, pridbor said:

It looks enticing to me eliminating the need for a number of items we normally use when developing Film like "fumbling around in the dark" when loading a film into the Spool and Tank.

I was wondering if any of you had seen and have comments to this new design.

How is it a new design? To be honest, I'm surprised they can get away with this... but I guess the old patents are no longer valid.

And the only item eliminated is a changing bag, if you don't have access to a dark room.

I used a Rondinax for a while and it works fine. It didn't require the same quantity of chemicals per film as the Paterson tank but for me the big downside is the single film capacity (maybe this new one can do more than one?). The constant turning can be a PITA. I also get much better washing using the Paterson tank and a Jobo film washing gadget.

All in all, I see no reason to go back to such a system. As Andy wrote, for spool loading muscle memory develops quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm in the same situation as "jeffz", and I don't have this "muscle-memory", nor did I ever in the past have it, so anything which can make my life easier when developing is welcome 🙂

Currently I send my film to be developed at a Lab. But I'm not very patient, so if I could do my own, and if it would simplify the process, then I'm at least interested. And the cost would equate about 10 film developed by a Lab, so not too bad $$$ wise.

Yes it's a new design, albeit now I learn not a new concept, and too little info is currently provided for me yet to commit. 

I should for example like to know how the winding the film onto the spool prevents the "lockup" I experience every other time I develop my film, and like many of you address how much Chemicals is required for a single roll of film. 

I will try to get a bit more info and share that with (inexperienced) people like me who will otherwise never get back to developing themselves again.

Thanks all for your responses !!!!

Preben

59 minutes ago, pridbor said:

I should for example like to know how the winding the film onto the spool prevents the "lockup" I experience every other time I develop my film

That is a good question indeed. The other day I bought a Kaiser tank because with Patterson reels I always got kinks and bends in my 120 films, which lead to dark spots on my film. The Kaiser reels are the only ones who lead the film without problems. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pridbor said:

I should for example like to know how the winding the film onto the spool prevents the "lockup" I experience every other time I develop my film, and like many of you address how much Chemicals is required for a single roll of film. 

Looks like it needs 270ml (continuous agitation), so approximately 8.5ml of HC-110 (Ilfotec HC) per roll if you use 1:32. Not as economical as a Rondix, but still good and I think still cost effective for one shot. 

I use JOBO reels these days and haven’t experienced any ‘lockup’ with them. Also haven’t experienced anything like that with my daylight tanks (haven’t used those for some years now due to the ATL). One thing I never do is allow any stabilizer or surfactant to contact the developing reels, I always remove the film into a separate container before applying those.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I backed this kickstarter project and it just delivered a couple months ago. They were really slow to finalize the design and deliver the LabBox but I just developed my first rolls this past weekend. 

It's very easy to use and works really well. No complaints at all. 

Personally I want to do my own development but don't have a ton of space. This keeps things really minimal and compact. 

It's a little pricy compared to the more traditional systems we know of but that's okay for me if I'm able to minimize the the process.

I'd recommend it, for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1