Looking at buying another 35...

poli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As a true 'compliment', I'd add a 40mm Summicron-C (f:2.0 and focuses to .8m)

Its very sharp and compact.  I love this lens, the Minolta version too.

For years they were very well priced.  I just looked in Ebay, they're running from around $650 > $850, meaning they're going up

Happy shooting!

47 minutes ago, poli said:

I have thought about this lens. I think i will like it. I just wonder, since it is not 6bit-codable, if it might be a problem using it on the 10m-d. 

I think the Voigt seems like a must try for you. It's new - so it's available and easy to find one to try in store. See if it's really a problem with being non-coded. Non-coding is not a big issue for me. But it might be for you - whether for correction or EXIF data. That's for you to decide but just going to test it seems easy enough.

39 minutes ago, sblutter said:

For years they were very well priced.  I just looked in Ebay, they're running from around $650 > $850, meaning they're going up

Happy shooting!

Agree - I have the Minolta version - superb, sharp but not clinical, small and super light. I was lucky to get one which activated the 35mm frameline. Usually it would activate the 50mm but it seems easy enough to "adapt" to 35mm. If you really need the 40mm frameline, you can get the Voigt 40mm viewfinder. With the 40 cron, there's enough $$ left over for the viewfinder and a vacation with it!

How many 35mm lenses do we need?

Two early Elmars nickel and chrome,

Two f3.5 Summarons

An f2.8 Summaron, plus another one I just bought half an hour ago ! Not counting the one I am looking after for a friend

A Summicron

An f2.8 Xenogon 

An f2.8 Canon

Just traded in the Voigtlander f1.7 as it was too big on a screw Leica compared to the other lenses and on an M body I would use the Summaron or Summicron.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sblutter said:

Happy shooting!

Probably one to avoid, but interesting.

Edited by Matlock

35mm 😍

some years ago, I used those,

wanted to sell some, but with time, even more units to

choose from

the right "so lovely" Ti coated one could never be "replaced"

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

35mm 😍

some years ago, I used those,

wanted to sell some, but with time, even more units to

choose from

the right "so lovely" Ti coated one could never be "replaced"

Are they all summicrons?

Thanks for all advices. I read quite a bit, reviews from Puts and others. I decided to go for a new lens and to safe some money for a present for my gf I have ordered the Summarit. Will let you know how I like it. 😊

On 7/2/2019 at 9:05 AM, Cronilux said:

For me the 35/2 V4 is an amazing and beautiful lens with a really pleasing rendering. 

And... low weight plus compact size...very pleasant to use. My favorite. 

• Like 3

Am 13.7.2019 um 16:37 schrieb Torontoamateur:

it is a wonderful lens. you will never regret having this classic. Never sell it once you get it.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Lelmer:

And... low weight plus compact size...very pleasant to use. My favorite. 

It will definitely remain in my collection, no matter what. If I decide to only use one lens for city trips, this is my absolute favorite. 

On 7/1/2019 at 6:09 PM, poli said:

I own a 35mm summaron (3.5 version) and i am quite happy with the results. Still i am thinking of another 35 that is a bit faster and is able to focus closer (instead of 1 mtr.) I am looking at the following options:

• summicron 35 asph (€1850, used)
  • Summicron v4 (king of bokeh, €1549)
  • summarit 2.4 (new, €1599) 

The lens will be used on an m10-d. I am inclined to the new summarit. Bit cheaper than a summicron and probably no issues like focus shift, etc. However, I wonder if the rendering would be bit too modern for my taste? 
Any thoughts/experiences/advice of you would be very much appreciated! 

IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of the three options you are looking at.

If you want a classic rendering, go for the Summicron v4.

I have a Summicron 35 ASPH and it is an outstanding lens that is great as an all-around 35mm.  I can't see how anyone would be displeased with this lens.

I do not have the 35mm Summarit f/2.4 but I do have the 50mm Summarit f/2.4.  It is truly excellent.  Very sharp wide open with a pleasing bokeh.  I cannot say for certain how the 35 Summarit renders, but if it is similar to the 50mm Summarit, it would be a great lens to have.

When you sink invest your money in a Leica M mount lens that has been made in the past 20 or so years, it is hard to go wrong. 

6 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

When you sink invest your money in a Leica M mount lens that has been made in the past 20 or so years, it is hard to go wrong.

Although the best investment of all the 35’s mentioned would be the Summicron 35mm v4

• Like 3

After having used a Summarit 35mm and tested a few times, I have decided to send it back... It was slightly better than the old Summaron. But the differences were too small in my view. Not worth the investment. I really liked the faster focussing compared to the old Summaron 3.5, but I did not like the formfactor (more viewfinderblockage). In that respect the old Summaron is still a little jewel. Also looks better on my camera ;)

So the search for another 35mm will continue. Or maybe, I will just leave it like it is and stick to the old Summaron. 

Yet another 35mm lens. This week it is a Nikon 35mm f3.5 in Leica screw, from around 1953, on my chrome Leica 111.

There is a number on the back, don't know what is signifies? but I have seen a picture of another for sale that also has a number on the back.

If you really want a different lens to your Summaron (which I also own and love to use), I would recommend the Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4. Beautiful rendering, very sharp even wide open, and about 4 times the size of the Summaron.