Jared

Q2, Fotos, and Geotagging

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have to have my phone quite close to connect, but it most times works - might take a few tries.  My house is full of WIFI IOT stuff though and there's plenty of interference - I imagine it would work better outside.

I posted this on another thread about GPS - it does work.

I just tested this using Leica FOTOS 1.3 and I get GPS metadata (shows up in Lightroom and the FOTOS Gallery downloaded shots) in both DNG and JPG when using FOTOS Remote.  Unfortunately, it is only in conjunction with FOTOS as stated in the manual:

"This function is available only as long as the camera is
connected to the Leica FOTOS app (see p. 129)"

I have the Q2 set with Bluetooth on.  I see the Bluetooth and GPS indicators in the LCD lower right before I connect with FOTOS.

And while the camera is connected, it cannot be used normally to shoot, only with FOTOS Remote. 

This seems like a tripod/landscape sort of feature as using a phone remote otherwise is not so handy.  I hoped being in proximity to the phone with Bluetooth on would be enough to get GPS from the phone, but no.

Edited by bullmoon

I confirmed this morning that it works—kind of.  If Fotos releases the shutter, then the images have gps data embedded most of the time, though I have a couple images where it failed.

Interestingly, after I disconnect Fotos from the camera (if and only if at least once Fotos was used to release the shutter) the GPS icon is left lit up for a couple minutes and any pictures taken for those couple of minutes will get tagged even though the connection was broken.  This suggests the camera only gets “fresh” GPS data every couple minutes.

Hopefully somewhere along the way they will improve this so that it any time a paired phone is in range it gets GPS data.  No sign in the documentation that this is the intent, but other companies (Fuji at a minimum) have accomplished this.

Posted (edited)

They should remove the feature from advertising if it only works through the remote shutter feature. No one uses that in normal use due to a number reasons. 

Also wanted to add the warning as others stated, be careful using the app when the camera is in a bag. Not always clear when the camera is shut down, even when you disconnect the app, and mine got really hot and I needed to take the battery in and out for it to come back on. 

Edited by Vov

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Vov:

They should remove the feature from advertising if it only works through the remote shutter feature. No one uses that in normal use due to a number reasons. . 

But this makes also no sense, because why does Leica then display a satellite signal in the finder? In think they plan to use GPS with the normal camera mode. And at least I Managed to shoot one Picture with it.

to all: please post your result / problem in the App Store so that the developer see it...

Too bad the GEO tagging is only when you use the Fotos app as a remote. I look forward to a future version that logs during regular usage. 

"So far, location logging works only in the remote function of Leica FOTOS. However, the team is already working on a more sophisticated way of location logging for the future!"

https://medium.com/@koehler.nico/leica-fotos-1-3-new-features-e6b750f0fe82

The team is clearly working to improve the app. I just want to be able to select where it focuses. Right now it appears to focus right in the center of the image and I cannot change that or see any indication of the focus location. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

24 minutes ago, iQ2 said:

The team is clearly working to improve the app. I just want to be able to select where it focuses. Right now it appears to focus right in the center of the image and I cannot change that or see any indication of the focus location. 

That one I can help with!  

Turn on “touch focus” within the focus menu in the camera and you can choose your AF point in the App by touching the point on the phone or tablet.

9 hours ago, Jared said:

That one I can help with!  

Turn on “touch focus” within the focus menu in the camera and you can choose your AF point in the App by touching the point on the phone or tablet.

You are a genius. I had touch AF turned off. I turned it back on and the FOTOS app does work and I can choose the focus point. Interesting that I complained multiple times to Leica FOTOS support and they never mentioned having Touch AF On. Thank you. 👏👏👏

2 hours ago, iQ2 said:

You are a genius. I had touch AF turned off. I turned it back on and the FOTOS app does work and I can choose the focus point. Interesting that I complained multiple times to Leica FOTOS support and they never mentioned having Touch AF On. Thank you. 👏👏👏

I expect they didn’t know because this is new behavior in the latest version of Fotos.  Previously, you didn’t have to do this except to get touch AF working on the camera itself.

Fotos really looks like an alpha version at best.

Only make the geotagging works once. Yes when using the remote function through Fotos app. 

Stupid implementation. 

Fotos with Q2 bluetooth, is crazy slow. You are better off, using Lightning to SD card USB 3 adapter. 

Edited by nicci78

3 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Fotos really looks like an alpha version at best.

Only make the geotagging works once. Yes when using the remote function through Fotos app. 

Stupid implementation. 

Fotos with Q2 bluetooth, is crazy slow. You are better off, using Lightning to SD card USB 3 adapter. 

I doubt Fotos will ever match an SD card reader for speed or ever even come that close.  I would like it to be fast enough for transferring more than just one or two pictures, though.  Other similar products are easily 3x faster, even they are using WiFi.

Bring back USB! Why not? And it would be great if someone could crack the hidden port on the M10. I'm not smart enough.

If my eyesight is not restored by 2020 I would be happy to loan my M10 to a talented cracker

Edited by pico