Q2, Fotos, and Geotagging

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone else noticed that the Geotagging function in the Q2 doesn't seem to work?

According to the Q2 manual (page 126 in the English version), as long as the camera is connected via FOTOS, the camera is supposed to be constantly updated with GPS info and will write that info into the Exif data of the images.  Well, as far as I can see that isn't happening.

1) I confirmed that Bluetooth was turned on in the camera and in the iPhone

2) I had "turn on remotely" enabled in the camera

3) I paired the phone and the camera

4) I confirmed that the camera display showed both the Bluetooth and the Satellite icon in the lower right corner of the EVF

5) I connected the camera and the iPhone together using FOTOS and took a bunch of pictures using FOTOS as a remote cable release

6) I checked the Exif data on the images, and there was no entry in the GPS tag

7) I also tried downloading the images using FOTOS (just in case, for some reason, the GPS data re added at transfer rather than at shutter release)--no GPS info

Has anyone gotten this to work?  It's not stunningly useful since you have to be connected to FOTOS not just have a bluetooth connection to the phone, but I could still imagine it being useful.  Am I doing something wrong?

- Jared

I logged a support request through the Fotos app just in case.  The Geotagging is definitely not working, and the connection failed five times in a row this morning before working on the 6th try.  No settings changed between the first try and the sixth.  Should definitely be more reliable.

Yes, I can feel the potential.  It’s actually fairly elegant if simple (much like the Q2 itself), but the listed features should work and do so consistently.  File downloads shouldn’t take 2-3 minutes per picture, even for a 47 MP image.  The connection should be reliable.  And the user guide should have stated somewhere that geotagging was “upcoming” rather than current.  Heck, the geotagging shouldn’t even require Fotos.  A Bluetooth connection to the phone should be sufficient.  

FYI, I did hear back from Leica in Germany what the rest of you may have already known... Geotagging has not yet been implemented in Fotos but expect it to be available perhaps by the end of July 2019.  They are also actively looking at the stability issues.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe I'm old school, but I'm not concerned about nor interested in this functionality. I want to make beautiful pictures. If I can see them on my phone via FOTOS then great, if not, there's nothing lost. Perhaps my feelings are because I grew up having to process film myself or send it to a lab, so the delay in gratification is nothing new to me. Personal preference, I guess.

Edited by Overpowered by Funk
  • Like 1

I actually like the Geotagging feature in general.  It can make it easier to find certain photos.  Not a huge deal, though, I agree.

The FOTOS stability in general is important for me, though.  First, because it is a convenient (if slow) way to transfer files without a “dongle” into my iPad or notebook.  Second, I occasionally use remote connectivity software as a remote viewfinder and cable release.  Since the Q doesn’t have a tilting rear screen, it can help with challenging compositions like when the camera is on a tripod near the ground.  This is more critical for my X1D which I use primarily for landscape photography, but it would be useful even for a travel camera like the Q.

In other words, it’s not the instant gratification I’m worried about.  It’s a tool to help me capture and manage the photos I want.  Like you, I grew up processing my own film (B&W) or sending it away for processing (chromes).  In all honesty, though, I’m glad those days are behind me.  

27 minutes ago, Jared said:

Like you, I grew up processing my own film (B&W) or sending it away for processing (chromes).  In all honesty, though, I’m glad those days are behind me.  

I'll always miss the chromes, especially for work — there's nothing that compares for color matching and correction in a pre-press environment, which is essential for my occupation.

3 hours ago, Jared said:

In other words, it’s not the instant gratification I’m worried about.  It’s a tool to help me capture and manage the photos I want.  

Same here. I mainly use Fotos as a remote release when I have the camera on a tripod. Resorting to the 2 second timer got the job done so no biggie. But I do hope that the Fotos issues are worked out and that the geotagging becomes available since I really like that for trips and vacations.

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb Unten:

I too contacted Leica support and was told that the GPS functionality would be added in the next major release of the Fotos app in the next few days.

This Release was released (at least for the iPhone) today! check the App Store for the update...

Edited by Krusty
  • Thanks 1

My first use of the new FOTOS release is a mixed-bag. It said it could not connect with my Q2 three times, then it connected.  The operation seems pretty solid so far. I like the option of selecting the file type to download. The settings are not re-setting like they were before every time I went in and out of the main live view area. I’ll probably start taking low res jpg’s in addition to DNG’s to make it easier to grab and share them using my iPhone. The double tap to increase zoom for checking focus does not work. It ignores if you have the camera in manual focus, but does work in macro mode. Better. Not great yet. 

Just updated to the newest Leica app version.

It seems even less stable than before, takes many retries to connect and still does not get the GPS info. It does however ask for permission to use location services and you can crosscheck in the settings, but it simply does not transfer location data, or does not embed it in the exif.

That same feature worked out of the box with my Fuji X-E3 over a year ago; a really useful feature when it works.

This is far from being rocket science. Why do they not get it to work? Why is Leica releasing this half-baked bag of trash, months after releasing the Q2 and after pretending from day one that it works. Tells a lot about all those reviewers raving away about the Q2, apparently without ever trying it out. Not one of the reviews I read or watched on Youtube mentioned that problem.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Krusty said:

Hi, 

I took 3 Pictures... 2 had no GPS Data and one had the GPS Data in the EXIF.... I try to reproduce this behavior...

Were you successful in reproducing this behaviour? Did you find a way to cajole the app into delivering some location data?

Fotos worked fine. Only if you allowed Fotos to auto wake up the Q2 through Bluetooth. 

It is slow as molasses though : auto wake up and auto connect take minutes (yes plural) & huge DNG transfer is über long. Just take a coffee and relax.

Don’t forget to turn off camera through Fotos. I’ve forgotten to do it once. Camera was in my Hadley small. It get’s super hot  🥵 I was afraid that it was toasted. After cooling down it worked properly, hopefully.

Actually it is 100x faster to take another photo with your phone and send it 🤨

Or even better : take  SD card off camera and use a USB 3 SD card reader with your smartphone ! 

Edited by nicci78

I reported my experience with the FOTOS app not connecting reliable. It took three tries on my camera. They are working the problem. FOTOS has potential to be useful and I have had some success with it, but clearly it still needs work. I urge everyone who has any negative experiences to report that through the App. It’ll help them get to the root of the problems. Here’s the response from their support team. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!