Face detection on Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You pay a lot of money for a Leica and i think most of the focus programs that are employed are rubbish, and Leica need to use some of the 5k you spend on improving ALL the focus programs its not on  and Leica think they can get away with it ! my I phone 13 works better 

PS I have A q2 and a Q116 for sale due to this!!

45 minutes ago, Paul B said:

You pay a lot of money for a Leica and i think most of the focus programs that are employed are rubbish, and Leica need to use some of the 5k you spend on improving ALL the focus programs its not on  and Leica think they can get away with it ! my I phone 13 works better 

Paul, I have only just turned to this thread anf feel you have reached some sweeping conclusiins. I have the original  Leica Q and face detection works well for me. But that is not my preference for focusing. Auto-focus is guided by firmware design. It can never be 100% accurate. Thankfully, manual focusing is brilliant. I use it for serious photography,  and only use AF where subjects are moving, unpredictably. Are you being fair? Have you mastered alternative modes?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Le Chef said:

This is a very old thread, but I wonder whether users of Facial Recognition have noticed any improvement with Q2 firmware updates?

There's not too much that can be done. The bottleneck is the Maestro II processor, it's too underpowered to drive a 47mb sensor and the amount of calculations needed for the CDAF. The Maestro III on the SL2 is barely adequate. 

• Like 1

Am 22.5.2022 um 18:44 schrieb Paul B:

If your iPhone takes better images than you Q2 - go for it. For me, the AF on my Q2M is accurate and fast. I have no need for Face or Exe Detect. Spot AF works just fine.

Am 15.9.2019 um 15:53 schrieb Leica Guy:

You make some excellent points, however the iPhone is pretty much a 28mm focal length. I used a newer model recently and was surprised how quickly it picked out 8 faces in a group photo. 8 of 8. Pretty stunning really. It appears to me that the R&D resources at a Samsung or Apple are far ahead of the camera manufacturers for smart camera software development. 

Phones have the computing power needed.

Am 22.5.2022 um 18:44 schrieb Paul B:

🤣😅🤣😂

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a recent convert to the Q2 after the CL, and I have used the SL and SL2-S for many years. I find the Q2 face detection underwhelming (i.e. poor) compared to the SL2-S; from recollection, the CL was better as well. I attribute it to the wide angle lens: with a zoom or longer FL, faces take up more real estate on the sensor, and are easier to detect.

Whatever the cause, I hope Leica manages to improve it. I don't think I can rely on it except for (28mm) close ups.  

On 5/24/2022 at 7:03 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

I'm a recent convert to the Q2 after the CL, and I have used the SL and SL2-S for many years. I find the Q2 face detection underwhelming (i.e. poor) compared to the SL2-S; from recollection, the CL was better as well. I attribute it to the wide angle lens: with a zoom or longer FL, faces take up more real estate on the sensor, and are easier to detect.

Whatever the cause, I hope Leica manages to improve it. I don't think I can rely on it except for (28mm) close ups.  

Not really. The sensor reading speed and amount of calculations are the same and not influenced by focal lenght, at least not in a way discernible by a human brain.
An SL2 with the Sigma 24mm works very well, the Q2 doesn’t. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/30/2019 at 3:41 PM, DexL said:

Attended an event yesterday with Q2 in tow excited to have a practical use for face detect.  I’m no stranger to the feature as I have another camera with it.  I have also used it successfully outdoors with wife and son using the Q2.  The feature was a failure about 50% of the time indoors at the venue.  I had to apologize and switch to spot multiple times so loss confidence in feature and stuck to spot focus for later shots.  It wasn’t really dim inside and I was fairly close to subjects but not straight on.  Lastly there is almost no information in the manual to support their implementation of the feature. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience... does anyone else see this as another item in need of a possible firmware update?

Yes regarding the red dot YouTube Leica hailers it is a ‚game changer! Unfortunately for the negative in the Q3 where facedetection only works in some lucky times and not reliably at all.