Face detection on Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Attended an event yesterday with Q2 in tow excited to have a practical use for face detect.  I’m no stranger to the feature as I have another camera with it.  I have also used it successfully outdoors with wife and son using the Q2.  The feature was a failure about 50% of the time indoors at the venue.  I had to apologize and switch to spot multiple times so loss confidence in feature and stuck to spot focus for later shots.  It wasn’t really dim inside and I was fairly close to subjects but not straight on.  Lastly there is almost no information in the manual to support their implementation of the feature. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience... does anyone else see this as another item in need of a possible firmware update?

• Like 1

I've never depended on it on the original Q either. I'd be interesting to know how it compares to that in the SL, which has more obvious application for studio and portrait, and the M, which is obviously largely designed for the street and reportage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DexL said:

Attended an event yesterday with Q2 in tow excited to have a practical use for face detect.  I’m no stranger to the feature as I have another camera with it.  I have also used it successfully outdoors with wife and son using the Q2.  The feature was a failure about 50% of the time indoors at the venue.  I had to apologize and switch to spot multiple times so loss confidence in feature and stuck to spot focus for later shots.  It wasn’t really dim inside and I was fairly close to subjects but not straight on.  Lastly there is almost no information in the manual to support their implementation of the feature. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience... does anyone else see this as another item in need of a possible firmware update?

Have you tried having your finger poised to engage manual focusing when auto gives erroneous results? I find it quick and effective on my Q. Remember AF will go to the nearest face which is not always the desired target.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, wda said:

Have you tried having your finger poised to engage manual focusing when auto gives erroneous results? I find it quick and effective on my Q. Remember AF will go to the nearest face which is not always the desired target.

When I say failure 50% of the time I meant no face detected for focus not wrong face (wrong face would have likely be ok given the poses).   I need more practice to have full manual focus confidence but it will come in time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DexL said:

When I say failure 50% of the time I meant no face detected for focus not wrong face (wrong face would have likely be ok given the poses).   I need more practice to have full manual focus confidence but it will come in time.

Are you sure that in the excitement of trying to get a specific expression, you have not shot before the focus light goes green?

9 minutes ago, wda said:

Are you sure that in the excitement of trying to get a specific expression, you have not shot before the focus light goes green?

No, for me it only works if someone is near the center of the frame looking straight at the camera. Otherwise it is an exercise in frustration getting it to recognize a face.

2 hours ago, wda said:

Yes I am Sure... no face detect boxes appear around face of the subjects as they should.  Multi-field boxes do appear but in my case not on or near the subjects I was attempting to film. It’s as if the AF sees no subject to focus on.  So I could shoot but it would have focus led to something far left of that was in my main field of view.  Not what I would expect for the money we are paying or have paid.  This shot would have been no issue for my Sony.

i gave up on it with the Q1....it only seemed to be dependable when the subject was in bright light and within a couple of meters or so. The CL is slightly better than the Q1 but not by much.

By contrast, face detection on my old Sony RX1 worked really well.

12 hours ago, hemlock said:

i gave up on it with the Q1....it only seemed to be dependable when the subject was in bright light and within a couple of meters or so. The CL is slightly better than the Q1 but not by much.

By contrast, face detection on my old Sony RX1 worked really well.

I also have RX1RM2... and I agree.

Face detect is quite bad with Q2.

Way worst than Q and CL. Really weird and unreliable. I hope that it will be fixed with firmware update.

Even weirder, I believe that Q2 share lots of tech with Lumix S1R. Face detect with S1R is really fast and reliable. 

So what is the problem ? 

1 hour ago, Overpowered by Funk said:

To me, face detection is like geo-tagging, meh. I bought this camera for the joy of making pictures. Part of that desire is making my own decisions with the imagery I create. I don't want nor need the camera to help me find faces, that's my job.

I respectfully and vehemently disagree. If a given product purports to have a certain "feature", that feature should function properly. To implement a half baked or erratically functioning feature is negligent and borderline fraudulent. 

The "best" solution is to have a fully functioning feature which can be deactivated via software if a given user chooses not to use it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Face detection can be fooled, for example a full frontal torso shot of a nude woman cropped at the shoulder. Thinks it's a face. I'd love to run that comparison against congressional mug shots.

• Like 1

• Leon_B. changed the title to Face detection on Q2