Half cases-- time to decide and appreciate feedback

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Megan said:

Question for those using Arte Di Mano half case - to mount on tripod, do you need to remove the case? Thanks!

No, you do not. There’s a1/4-20 screw thread in the bottom of the case to attach a tripod mounting plate. I use arcs-Swiss plates I purchase of Amazon. Easy Peasy to attach to my RRS ballhead with the Arca-Swiss clamp. There’s photos of this on other Q/Q2 threads. 

This thread has some good info. I have not located a thread where I posted pics with the Arca-Swiss plate on the ADM case. Perhaps someone else will see it and chime in. 

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Thanks 1

I just received the Artisan & Artist Q/Q2 case. I got it from ebay from PopFlash photo for $148. It is very very nice. I know that the ADM cases are awesome but at this price you can’t beat it. If it is any consolation I did couple it with the ADM waxed cotton neck strap in black...

I originally purchased the Lim’s case but it is way too heavy and tall. 

Edited by wynmia

I'm fairly new to Leica, certainly new to digital Leica.  Just over a month ago, I added a barely used Q-P to my M3 DS w/50 'cron DR.  See big smile.  After reading various posts and reviews, I added both the matte-finish Thumbs Up and the LIMS half-case with grip.  I was a bit concerned that the later (for the original Q) doesn't include an Arca-Swiss dovetail on its bottom plate.  Maybe I should have bought the Q2 LIMS case, but I wasn't sure it would be as effective a fit.  Besides, I don't see shooting this camera on tripod that often - and when I do, it should work on my Leica desktop tripod (without a QR plate), or I'll find a ledge and a small beanbag (see wrist cushions for a computer mouse). 

I wanted to minimize the "bling" factor - so I wanted a half-case to (1) protect the camera body, (2) NOT stand out or draw attention (the plain black leather, imho, blends well), and (3) provide a more secure grip for this camera.  Another minor concern were the circular brown strap protectors that slip over the strap lugs - as I'm (for now) using Leica's light color brown strap for the Q-P.  I was concerned that these leather circles might not work with the LIMS case.  In practice, no problem.  the bottom part of the protectors slip easily between the upright parts of the LIMS case and the camera body.  One only needs a thin object to guide them into position. 

Anyhow, this thread was useful and helpful - just thought I'd share another anecdote.

Enjoy and thanks...

PS - another minor modification - I wrapped up the gorgeous square metal lens hood and metal cap that slips over both the hood and the hoodless lens.  I use hoods not only to  control reflections, but also to protect from bumps, bruises and minor impacts - when carrying the camera strapped to my shoulder.  These gorgeous Leica parts are securely and safely stored in their iconic Leica chest.  In their place is a rounded metal Chinese cheapo with plastic, older-style front cap.  Well under $10.  If knocked around or bruised a bit, who cares?  Just a thought.  And by the way, do not buy the hood that tapers inward - as it will vignette corners on the 28/1.7 summilux (don't ask how I learned this, ugh). Instead, purchase the version that expands outward (normally shaped wide angle hood) from its mounting threads.  No vignetting and better lens protection.  fwiw!

Edited by DaleG
  • Like 1

Just ordered the LIMs halfcase as well. Will get it in a few weeks, hopefully. 105$ including shipping.. If they don't "declare" it correctly, I should be spared the 30$ in tax and customs fees.

I contacted Angelo Pelle about shipping for a strap, haven't decided yet.. But I want simple black leather with a neck pad.

They (Angelo Pelle) have some serious discounts on their less popular colours for the halfcases. Unfortunately, black is stil 169€, and mocka brown 139€... You can get gold and bronze for below 80€ though :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own the Lim’s case for my CL and find it adds the right amount of size to make the camera more grip-able. I just received the Lims for my recently purchased Q2 and notice some significant differences. Most annoyingly, the case comes too close to the 4 way directional pad making it difficult to quickly switch functions where sub menus are selected by depressing the right directional button..Secondly, while the CL case provides a little extra height to the camera for better gripping, the Q2 is bigger and the additional height is not necessary. Lastly, while the CL case hugs the body of the camera and has good stiffness, the Q2 case leather feels too flexible and easily peels back from the body, which is strange considering its thickness interferes with the 4 way button.

I own the Lim’s case for my CL and find it adds the right amount of size to make the camera more grip-able. I just received the Lims for my recently purchased Q2 and notice some significant differences. Most annoyingly, the case comes too close to the 4 way directional pad making it difficult to quickly switch functions where sub menus are selected by depressing the right directional button..Secondly, while the CL case provides a little extra height to the camera for better gripping, the Q2 is bigger and the additional height is not necessary. Lastly, while the CL case hugs the body of the camera and has good stiffness, the Q2 case leather feels too flexible and easily peels back from the body, which is strange considering its thickness interferes with the 4 way button.

I just got a case for my Q2 from Luigicases ( https://www.luigicases.com ), formerly Leicatime but apparently he had to change the name. I've had several of his cases for Fuji cameras. He's expensive but has good stuff. There was a choice of a black flap covering the LCD. I've had that in the past and it covers all the buttons as well. Also, an option for cutouts for the sd card and battery or a flat bottom. It's held on with little leather straps over the camera strap attachments rather than screwed down via the tripod socket.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New Q2 owner here. Just returned from 10 days in Zimbabwe and Botswana, where my new little jewel’s battery lasted the entire time on a single charge. Because she arrived the day of my departure, I installed a small, lightweight generic L-bracket that worked fairly well to give me a larger grip, and to attach her to my combo Black Rapid/RRS bracket shoulder strap. I tend to prefer L-brackets over horizontal-only plates. But after this trip, I’ve decided to order the Lims 2-tone. I like the integrated dovetail (duh! Why not more such sensibility in the market?). My likely need for vertical tripod fitment seems slim. 
P.S. Am I a minority that hates the lens cap? And for that matter, the lens hood? I’ve seen a lot of posts about the two, especially the difficulty for filter use, but little mention of how loosely the OEM cap fits the hood (a couple of small bits of black electrical helped provide a better friction fit for this trip). I’ve ordered the Thorsten Overgaard hood and am looking forward to trying it out. 
Anyway, thanks for all the excellent info here. 

I've got L-plates on my DSLR and even on the Fuji X-T10, but decided against that with the Q, because it's small enough to be tilted sideways on the tripod.

the CIPA ratings are very weird, anyways, but they are okay to compare different camera models. Doesn't mean that it's always going to be "300 shots", but one that has a rating of 600 shots will last twice as long under identical conditions. High temperatures definitely help battery life :)

I've had my 1Ds III battery last for 1'900 shots one day at an airshow (continuous AF and "burst" shooting (not really fast in that old camera, but still called burst) most of the time)

• 1 month later...